Blowout Cards Forums
MEM MADNESS

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A's fans- final thoughts on the season?

I'm still pretty bummed about last night but at the same token, the odds were stacked against us with Verlander on the hill. He was just dialed in all night and it would have taken an out of this world performance by Parker just to be in the game.

Overall, there isn't much to complain about this season, given the team's financial budget, name brand players, etc. Hopefully we can build upon this for next season and as we get closer to a new stadium. It was a fun season without a doubt.

What do you think, fellow A's fans (and whomever else wants to chime in)?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great season by an exciting team that far exceeded expectations in a brutal division. I love this young pitching staff and they will be competitive as long as Parker, Griffin and Milone continue to improve. Anderson has shown that he can be a beast.

Cespedes was a very pleasant surprise and has turned out to be quite the well-rounded player. I hope he can stay healthy! I remember being concerned that he was maybe a bit too free-swinging at the beginning of the season, but he seems to have become gradually more disciplined at the plate and finished with a very solid .356 OBP.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys can do in the future! It'll be interesting to see if they make any big moves in the offseason. I expect McCarthy will be back from his horrible accident. Straily is waiting for his chance to see some extended time in the majors. I don't know...this team looks like they're going to be competitive for a long time!

If Hamilton leaves Texas, you have to figure Oakland and Los Angeles will be duking it out to sit on top of the AL West. Of course, Hamilton didn't stop 'em this year
Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

This season was an absolute blast. One of my favorite A's teams since the late 80's.

The rotation should be deep next year, especially with a full season of Brett Anderson. Hopefully, McCarthy can come back strong and be the solid #2 he has been for the last couple seasons. The bullpen looks to be in good shape, too.

In the field, Cespedes-Crisp-Reddick is a great defensive outfield that provides some pop at the plate. The infield, however ... I have no clue who will be at 1B, 2B, 3B, or SS. Moss looks to be a solid platoon bat against righties, and I expect Chris Carter to bounce back. The A's need another consistent bat to go along with Cespedes.

The A's appear to be in a good spot to be competitive for a few years due to their solid, young, cheap pitching. If they can find a good infield bat, they could be dynamite in 2013!
FINDER'S FEE FOR ANY DUCHSCHERER CARD REMAINING ON MY LIST! (SEE WEBSITE)
alwayson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

I feel really blessed to have been an A's fan this year. While I too was bummed last night, the game night before last was the best A's game I've ever seen! Picture a 32 year old man jumping up and down while whispering shouts at mid night, with his family asleep. It was awesome.

I point to the double wide strike zone for Verlander, but in the end, all I could do was stand up and applaud my A's for a miraculous 2012.

*Let's go, A's 2013!!!!

*Barring any 2012 Mayan prediction things that come about.
mouschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Love Cespedes. I don't see them repeating the magic without some offseason moves. Knowing Beane I'm sure more than a few will be head scratchers but he excels at that. He seems to make them work too. Being in the medical field, I don't see McCarthy coming back. Another shot to the melon could end more than his career. If he does come back, it better be Olerud style. A helmet all of the time. I wish him the best either way.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

2-3 format sucks!!! A's got screwed on that but then again looked at what happened on the Reds lol.

there's still one bay area team to cheer for.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

you guys have one heck of a young core and one heck of a future and i expect to see you at the top of the rankings next season, Good Luck
Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

they played more like a team than any other team in the league. No egos, even if they were one of the top players they had no problem being pinch hit if the odds were more in favor of another guy. I don't think any fan on any team could feel more excited. A team that fought hard and had fun playing baseball, all of the walkoffs, one of the best closing weeks for a baseball team in years.

People saw an entire starting rotation made up of rookies surge the A's up the rankings in the summer months, Cespedes went from a guy struggling to figure out pitches in the first few months of the season to one of the few ballplayers that people didn't want to miss watching him out on the field.

All the great storylines of where a lot of these players were playing last year or the year before like Doolittle pitching in the instructional league learning how to pitch last year to being one of the more dependable mid relievers on the staff.

More than anything A's fans are going to take away fantastic memories and they'll be so good there won't be any memory of anything bad. The walkoffs, the pies in the face, the crowd going wild with Balfour Rage and having fun moving it like Bernie. This is all that will be remembered of the 2012 Oakland A's. The team that was 29th in salary in baseball but had more heart than any other team to be far from the 100 loss team doormat that some were predicting at the start of the year
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

The Oakland A's had a fantastic 2012 Season and they should be very proud of their accomplishments. Coming from nowhere to win the tough AL West was their crowning achievement. Hopefully this will spurn season ticket sales and allow the payroll to grow.

I love to see the Underdogs triumph.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I loved the fact that rookies started over 100 games for them. You don't see that often and I wish the Jays wold follow suit. Give the kids a chance and let them grow together!!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Great season, props to them
Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
The Oakland A's had a fantastic 2012 Season and they should be very proud of their accomplishments. Coming from nowhere to win the tough AL West was their crowning achievement. Hopefully this will spurn season ticket sales and allow the payroll to grow.

I love to see the Underdogs triumph.

yeah especially considering the Rangers had been on top and to the World Series the past two years and the Angels spent tons on Pujols and C.J. Wilson to try and knock the Rangers off their high perch but they weren't the ones to trip Texas up
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Amazing season, especially considering all the rookie pitching. Pushed a great Detroit team to the limit in the first round after surprising Texas and winning the division. A's fans can be proud of this season and look forward to more next year, especially thanks to Cespedes, who was excellent. Good luck in 2013, Oakland (though not at the expense of the Tigers!)
Old 10-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am kinda pissed that the A's did so well, I wanted the Red Sox to sign Brandon McCarthy but there is no way he leaves Oaktown now.

Unlike the Orioles who I think will come crashing back down to the bottom of the division, I think the A's can sustain and compete with LAA, Seattle and Texas. Texas and the Angels have a lot of question marks, and I think the Mariners are going in the right direction
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

The As were kind of at the same place that my Dbacks were last season we were not expected to make it to the postseason and had a late series surge when we finally lost to the brewers it was definately sucky but at the same time like you said its bitter sweet it was awesome seeing your team that at the beginning of the season was expected to finish at the bottom of the standings and they surprised everyone and made it pretty far.Pretty much what you have to worry about now is having a succesfull follow up season. Living up to the pressure of making another playoff run as well as injurys seemed to be the Dbacks achilles this season and thats pretty much the A's worries next season but they have alot to build on a young team and resurgent veterans that had a good season so i have a feeling we will see them again in the postseason. So basically for A's fans yeah it sucks but hey they made it farther than everyone expected so be proud lol

sorry for the loong read i just felt like both teams had alot in common and wanted to share lol
dbacksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

They would make a great story for the Moneyball sequel

I'm glad the A's knocked the Rangers out. I'm not really a fan of theirs, but was mainly following along their season since AJ Griffin is a local kid. I must admit, I also wanted to see if Cespedes could live up to the hype that his workout video gave him!
SDcardguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote