Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Prospects Domain Names

Doing some research online on domain names and looked up some prospect names and to my surprise, the majority of them have been registered!

Is this a lucrative business where you register something for what...$9.99 and if a player does well, you can sell it for $$$$$?

Anyone ever done this before? Is this the new/old prospecting that's been out there for a while?

Last edited by messier2; 10-15-2012 at 09:09 AM.
messier2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by messier2 View Post
Doing some research online and looked up some prospect names and to my surprise, the majority of them have been registered!

Is this a lucrative business where you register something for what...$9.99 and if a player does well, you can sell it for $$$$$?

Anyone ever done this before? Is this the new/old prospecting that's been out there for a while?

I guess it IS a cheap way of prospecting but I doubt anybody will get rich off it. A bit like the guy who registered the name 21st Century Fox.
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
I guess it IS a cheap way of prospecting but I doubt anybody will get rich off it. A bit like the guy who registered the name 21st Century Fox.
Not rich, but good "pocket money" for something you do nothing with (no sending cards through the mail, chargebacks, scams etc.).
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Someone had www.takingmytalentstosouthbeach.com on ebay for tens of thousands of dollars after "The Decision" by Lebron.
MVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did it once back in 2003. I registered colehamels.com (someone had originally registered it, but I waited until it expired). I never had an intention of doing anything with it other than making a fan site. It sat, lonely, for a few years, but I never attempted to sell it. It just sat. I never had time to make a fan site. 5 years ago, Cole's sister in law (the Survivor star, Heidi's, sisiter) contacted me and wanted to know if I would sell it.

I never had an intention of making money off of it, but as Cole was one of my favorite players, I certainly wasn't going to try to hold it hostage either. I worked out a deal where Cole sent me two autographed jerseys, personalized to me and my son, and I asked asked for two auto'ed bats, also personalized to me and my son. The bats didn't get personalized, but I do have two auto'ed, personalized jerseys. I had numerous autos on balls and on 8x10s (including pix of us with Cole, auto'ed and personalized) from his time in the minors and in spring training.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can't sell it to the player for "a lot" of money due to cyber squatting if they would ever want it for a fan site. I know a lot of people who own 100s of domain names hoping to strike it rich one day lol.
Hollenbackcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

When Jonathan Papelbon made it known he wanted to be called "Jonathan" and not "Jon" something triggered my brain to do jonathanpapelbon.com. There was already jonpapelbon.com. I was going to make a fan site too as I really liked him. But I have little web skills so it sat until the owner of jonpapelbon.com contacted me and offered me $500 for it. He knew Paps and it made perfect sense not to waste the domain. I had trouble doing the transfer, with my "awesome" online skills, but it worked out. Not sure I could ever get lucky like that again.
spud1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah Cybersquatting is wrong but obviously nothing prevents people from doing it. Just like numerous other things people do.
NPNCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

i tried to buy bryceharper.com but it was taken.
patchgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is a guy in MA who has registered a bunch of prospect names...smart or a waste of money? We shall see I guess!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPNCards View Post
Yeah Cybersquatting is wrong but obviously nothing prevents people from doing it. Just like numerous other things people do.
Would love to hear your logic on why this is "wrong".
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Would love to hear your logic on why this is "wrong".
Unless you have a legit reason to register some persons name why else are you doing it? Try to profit off someone else's likeness.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
There is a guy in MA who has registered a bunch of prospect names...smart or a waste of money? We shall see I guess!
Big waste of money, I'll bet. Twitter is better to follow an athlete directly; any fan site/charitable endeavor will use a different domain name to avoid paying the outrageous money squatters will ask for.

BryceHarper.com -- home of the most famous non-famous photographer in the world?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Unless you have a legit reason to register some persons name why else are you doing it? Try to profit off someone else's likeness.
Perhaps, but you are using the word "wrong" in a much different way than I ever would. Cyber squatting is nothing more than purchasing a 'good' that is currently in low demand, with the hopes that its demand will eventually rise. Does Dylan Bundy need to own the domain www.dylanbundy.com ? Does he have any more inherent right to it than I do, just because he is named Dylan Bundy? And if he wants the good and is willing to pay for it, then what wrong do I commit by selling it to him at a price that he is willing to pay?

This argument is similar to the one that people make against "price gouging" in a completely open market. If I buy tickets to a concert, then the tickets sell out and prices rise on the (open) secondary market, is it "wrong" for me to sell them above face value? Am I not, in the same way, profiting off of a person's likeness? Perhaps you would say it is wrong, but you don't really have a legitimate logical argument as to why, other than it just feels wrong to you.

Not trying to pick on you, please don't take it that way. Just have very strong feelings about this.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

OMFG, I found a "big" name prospect where his name is NOT registered...tempting...very tempting....
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
OMFG, I found a "big" name prospect where his name is NOT registered...tempting...very tempting....
I mean, I guess it's worth a shot if it is a big name. I don't know if it'd be wise to grab dozens of 'em and hold for years hoping that a few guys pan out...but in all fairness, I've never tried domain flipping before, so what do I know?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Vogelbach?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Perhaps, but you are using the word "wrong" in a much different way than I ever would. Cyber squatting is nothing more than purchasing a 'good' that is currently in low demand, with the hopes that its demand will eventually rise. Does Dylan Bundy need to own the domain dylanbundy.com - dylanbundy Resources and Information. This website is for sale! ? Does he have any more inherent right to it than I do, just because he is named Dylan Bundy? And if he wants the good and is willing to pay for it, then what wrong do I commit by selling it to him at a price that he is willing to pay?

This argument is similar to the one that people make against "price gouging" in a completely open market. If I buy tickets to a concert, then the tickets sell out and prices rise on the (open) secondary market, is it "wrong" for me to sell them above face value? Am I not, in the same way, profiting off of a person's likeness? Perhaps you would say it is wrong, but you don't really have a legitimate logical argument as to why, other than it just feels wrong to you.

Not trying to pick on you, please don't take it that way. Just have very strong feelings about this.
I don't really feel like debating we can just agree to disagree if someone likes to do prospecting via domain names more power to them just like people like to pack search more power to them as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Perhaps, but you are using the word "wrong" in a much different way than I ever would. Cyber squatting is nothing more than purchasing a 'good' that is currently in low demand, with the hopes that its demand will eventually rise. Does Dylan Bundy need to own the domain dylanbundy.com - dylanbundy Resources and Information. This website is for sale! ? Does he have any more inherent right to it than I do, just because he is named Dylan Bundy? And if he wants the good and is willing to pay for it, then what wrong do I commit by selling it to him at a price that he is willing to pay?

Do it to a big company and they will slap you down with their lawyers and take it from you...gone are the days where someone can register a trademark as a domain and try to ransom it to the holder of the trademark.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

Except cybersquatting is more akin to touting outside the stadium where there is an ordinance preventing it. There are national and international laws that prohibit cybersquatting.
dpwoodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud1972 View Post
When Jonathan Papelbon made it known he wanted to be called "Jonathan" and not "Jon" something triggered my brain to do jonathanpapelbon.com. There was already jonpapelbon.com. I was going to make a fan site too as I really liked him. But I have little web skills so it sat until the owner of jonpapelbon.com contacted me and offered me $500 for it. He knew Paps and it made perfect sense not to waste the domain. I had trouble doing the transfer, with my "awesome" online skills, but it worked out. Not sure I could ever get lucky like that again.

Shoulda doubled down with Giancarlo Stanton!
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't really feel like debating we can just agree to disagree if someone likes to do prospecting via domain names more power to them just like people like to pack search more power to them as well.
Cybersquatting != Packsearching

These are not even remotely the same. Great example of a difference between something that is illegal but not necessarily immoral, and something that is immoral but not illegal.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Actually, I had about 90 domains back in 1996-98 for various site ideas. This was back when you pretty much could register a domain for free via email with Network Solutions. You had 90 days to pay before they would release it back to the public. During the 90 days I would try to sell them off if I couldn't use them. Made some decent money. The idea works but nowadays it is too expensive. The ease back then was with tricking Network Solutions, can't do that now...

darklodus
darklodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

With Twitter and Search Engine Optimization, owning a .com of someone's name is not the gold mine it once was. Plus there are the legal issues, most notably the Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy (UDRP) that make it quite easy and not too expensive for a person to recover a domain name that is identical to his/her name, especially if you try to hold it ransom.

At best you can hope to get some free stuff like the Cole Hamels example, but more likely than not you won't even make out that well.
rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

i bought www.hanleywood13.com when ramirez was traded to the Dodgers. being a web developer i was dreaming of putting together a fan site for him... still haven't gotten around to it!