Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
mouschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Swimming in a million cards
Posts: 4,443
Default Gift Card Scam - Help / Guidance

I was selling a $250 Target Gift Card online, and someone said they were interested. They asked me to call them and target 3 way so I can use an automated system to check the balance. I typed in my numbers to let them hear I had $250 on the card. They said they would be on their way to pick it up. After a while, I decided to check the balance ... $0. They had some sort of phone program that stripped the #s and transferred the balance to their phone! URGH!!!

I called Target asking if they would be able to track the # it was transferred to, and put a hold on it or block it. They told me to file a police report. Well, I'm waiting on the officer now. The thief is probably already on his way to Target to spend my money. Target refuses to do anything until a report is filed.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
__________________
Inventor of the INVISIFRACTOR
I MAKE CUSTOM CARDS
...AND COLLECT CANSECO
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 479
Default

Good luck, hopefully you get your money back. But in the meantime here's my thoughts on this:

MVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 10,971
Default

Oh man ... that is just dirty dirty wrong. Really sorry to hear that. Lots of us here advised you to try to sell this gift card too.
__________________
================================================================
~~~~~~ Looking for ALEX WOOD - 2013 Bowman Chrome/Draft Color (#/50 or less) ~~~~~~
================================================================
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 10,971
Default

Wait ... if the balance is zero, then the money is already spent, right?
__________________
================================================================
~~~~~~ Looking for ALEX WOOD - 2013 Bowman Chrome/Draft Color (#/50 or less) ~~~~~~
================================================================
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
rudyjustinfarrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,209
Default

That is a new one to me, good luck on a favorable resolution.
__________________
Always willing to talk shop or B/S/T.
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
XL5
Member
 
XL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,359
Default

FWIW, they used the tones when you entered your card number. Each tone = a different number and it is easy to decode.

Target won't do anything until a police report is filed because you could just be making it up. Once you involve the police, they are more likely to assume you are telling the truth. Most scammers won't call the police to run their scam.



Sucks to hear, hope you get some satisfaction.
__________________
Want: 2010 Allen & Ginter N43 relics of Pujols, Markakis, Howard. Want: Konerko high-end, looking for any Konerko 2012 Topps S1 1/1s
My buckets: https://sites.google.com/site/xl5inventory/ My shipping: DC and mailed next business day. My LCSs: Elite Sports Cards, Chicago; Tim's Baseball Card Shop, Chicago
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
mouschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Swimming in a million cards
Posts: 4,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Wait ... if the balance is zero, then the money is already spent, right?
It means they at least transferred the balance. :/
__________________
Inventor of the INVISIFRACTOR
I MAKE CUSTOM CARDS
...AND COLLECT CANSECO
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 17,755
Default

Or they spent it online already
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
imnotded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonora, CA
Posts: 3,321
Default

I hate thieves. I wish we could cut off their hands.
__________________
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/imnotded - My UStream Channel
imnotded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
VWBUS1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SOUTH JERSEY
Posts: 5,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotded View Post
I hate thieves. I wish we could cut off their hands.
with you on that one... but we should start with just thumbs, that might be enough.
__________________
the fact that we exist, in a universe of sheer randomness, is scientific proof that there are aliens.
we are the aliens.
i can say that with 100% accuracy.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
mikecamp99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,519
Default

Quote:
Wait ... if the balance is zero, then the money is already spent, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
It means they at least transferred the balance. :/

Sorry to say, but the $0 balance means that the person who ripped you off spent the money already. They would have used the same GiftCard number you had to make the purchase, there is no way to change the code unless they used the money to purchase a different giftcard to have the money on.

If the balance was still available, what Target would do is cancel the Giftcard and issue a new one, but since the balance is zero there is nothing they can really do until the police are involved.
__________________
PC'ing 2000 Topps Finest Moments Football Autos
Currently have 23/26 autos. Need: Andre Reed, Isaac Bruce,Dan Marino
mikecamp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
mouschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Swimming in a million cards
Posts: 4,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecamp99 View Post
Sorry to say, but the $0 balance means that the person who ripped you off spent the money already. They would have used the same GiftCard number you had to make the purchase, there is no way to change the code unless they used the money to purchase a different giftcard to have the money on.

If the balance was still available, what Target would do is cancel the Giftcard and issue a new one, but since the balance is zero there is nothing they can really do until the police are involved.
They actually said the balance was transferred to a cell phone, so ... I dunno. We'll see what happens. The lady that is head of a Target here said I'd definitely get my money back. We'll see!
__________________
Inventor of the INVISIFRACTOR
I MAKE CUSTOM CARDS
...AND COLLECT CANSECO
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
mikecamp99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
They actually said the balance was transferred to a cell phone, so ... I dunno. We'll see what happens. The lady that is head of a Target here said I'd definitely get my money back. We'll see!
Good, I hope you do. You can convert a Giftcard to your mobile phone but the Giftcard number should still be the same, so the amount should still be the same. Weird, but hopefully you get the money back and hope the D-Bag does't get to spend a dime of it.
__________________
PC'ing 2000 Topps Finest Moments Football Autos
Currently have 23/26 autos. Need: Andre Reed, Isaac Bruce,Dan Marino
mikecamp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
THE(NEXT)LEVEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,116
Default

Did you try calling them back, since you have their phone number?
__________________
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/zupsic/

Internet tough guy Will Watson is my #1 fan!!
THE(NEXT)LEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
RedSoxFan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,313
Default

Are they a member on here?
__________________
Baseball- Boston Red Sox, Football- New England Patriots, Basketball- Boston Celtics & OKC Thunder, Hockey- Boston Bruins
Looking for Tom Brady Flawless
RedSoxFan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
mouschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Swimming in a million cards
Posts: 4,443
Default

no they arent a member here
__________________
Inventor of the INVISIFRACTOR
I MAKE CUSTOM CARDS
...AND COLLECT CANSECO
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 10,971
Default

Any resolution yet? Not a vengeful person, but I'm hoping somebody gets the smackdown for this
__________________
================================================================
~~~~~~ Looking for ALEX WOOD - 2013 Bowman Chrome/Draft Color (#/50 or less) ~~~~~~
================================================================
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
dthimesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 17,309
Default

Wow! that is just un-freaking-believable.

What made you recheck the balance after a little while?
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
kordell1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 1,064
Default

That is just lousy. I work in retail and I get to see the absolute scum of society trying any and every scam they can think of. It really is very sad. I hope it works out for you and I hope the thief gets attacked by a rabid pit bull.
__________________

Always looking for Nomar Mazara Chrome Autographs or Color. Also interested in Rougned Odor.
kordell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
mouschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Swimming in a million cards
Posts: 4,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
Wow! that is just un-freaking-believable.

What made you recheck the balance after a little while?
I don't know actually! I just felt like something may be up, and sure enough ... I was right. URGH!

No new news yet. The sergeant contacted me a few times again asking me questions, so they are working on it.

In the end, if they don't catch him, it is a bummer, but he WILL get caught on something. He is ultimately ripping himself off of a life of virtue. He got $250 from me potentially. Big whoop. He still has to live his life knowing he is a scumbag, and continue on with his loser existence. It is really something that while he has pissed me off, he is to be pitied. He doesn't even know what he is doing to himself and the people he loves.
__________________
Inventor of the INVISIFRACTOR
I MAKE CUSTOM CARDS
...AND COLLECT CANSECO
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
bronxbombers09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Da Bronx! Home of the best baseball team ever. Yankees!!
Posts: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecamp99 View Post
Good, I hope you do. You can convert a Giftcard to your mobile phone but the Giftcard number should still be the same, so the amount should still be the same. Weird, but hopefully you get the money back and hope the D-Bag does't get to spend a dime of it.
I would of muted the initial dial in, and just have them hear the amount. They must of used a number tracker, this is the same as when you type in a SS# or pin number on a phone, and the phone knows what numbers you typed. They do sell blockers that will scramble the tone. Sorry, but this had happened to me also in the past, and I was fortunate that I only lost $100. But tracking these people is hard, once they do this. These idiots are smart at ripping people off, but once they get caught, they cry like bitches. I hope the police, does something about this. Good Luck!
bronxbombers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
mouschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Swimming in a million cards
Posts: 4,443
Default

It has been over a month now, and I decided to send Target a letter. We'll see what happens!
__________________
Inventor of the INVISIFRACTOR
I MAKE CUSTOM CARDS
...AND COLLECT CANSECO
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
onenineeightsix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
He still has to live his life knowing he is a scumbag, and continue on with his loser existence. It is really something that while he has pissed me off, he is to be pitied. He doesn't even know what he is doing to himself and the people he loves.
Of course you realize that some people don't have a conscious, plain and simple. There is varying degrees of the disorder obviously, ranging from what this guy did (quite clever actually) to the actions of say, Hitler for example. The fact that you care or think that "he is to be pitied" or that "he doesn't know what he's doing to himself or his family" is every bit as ridiculous as him believing the exact opposite. Such an incredibly pointless argument to have at any level when dealing with people of that mindset. While you feel your feet are firmly planted on honorable and true ground, he doesn't care that you even have feet, let alone care about where they stand.

Point is, you're wasting your time trying to correct, eliminate, or explain the behavior. He doesn't understand you much the same way you don't understand him. Psychologically fascinating anyway you look it at it.
__________________
LF: 2007 SP Legendary Americana
2013 Gypsy Queen Wade Miley Autographs
onenineeightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
mouschi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Swimming in a million cards
Posts: 4,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenineeightsix View Post
Of course you realize that some people don't have a conscious, plain and simple. There is varying degrees of the disorder obviously, ranging from what this guy did (quite clever actually) to the actions of say, Hitler for example. The fact that you care or think that "he is to be pitied" or that "he doesn't know what he's doing to himself or his family" is every bit as ridiculous as him believing the exact opposite. Such an incredibly pointless argument to have at any level when dealing with people of that mindset. While you feel your feet are firmly planted on honorable and true ground, he doesn't care that you even have feet, let alone care about where they stand.

Point is, you're wasting your time trying to correct, eliminate, or explain the behavior. He doesn't understand you much the same way you don't understand him. Psychologically fascinating anyway you look it at it.
He is hurting himself and others around him, whether he understands/feels it or not, and in the end, he will pay. Things like this tend to always come back and bite you in the butt.

Oh well, thank the Lord it wasn't thousands of dollars. I'm over it - just thankful it didn't happen to someone who really, really needed the money.

I agree though - psychologically it is interesting. I always look at people thinking "how the heck could they say/do that?" I s'pose we are all made in different shapes, colors, sizes to keep life interesting.
__________________
Inventor of the INVISIFRACTOR
I MAKE CUSTOM CARDS
...AND COLLECT CANSECO
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 10,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenineeightsix View Post
Of course you realize that some people don't have a conscious, plain and simple. There is varying degrees of the disorder obviously, ranging from what this guy did (quite clever actually) to the actions of say, Hitler for example. The fact that you care or think that "he is to be pitied" or that "he doesn't know what he's doing to himself or his family" is every bit as ridiculous as him believing the exact opposite. Such an incredibly pointless argument to have at any level when dealing with people of that mindset. While you feel your feet are firmly planted on honorable and true ground, he doesn't care that you even have feet, let alone care about where they stand.

Point is, you're wasting your time trying to correct, eliminate, or explain the behavior. He doesn't understand you much the same way you don't understand him. Psychologically fascinating anyway you look it at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
He is hurting himself and others around him, whether he understands/feels it or not, and in the end, he will pay. Things like this tend to always come back and bite you in the butt.

Oh well, thank the Lord it wasn't thousands of dollars. I'm over it - just thankful it didn't happen to someone who really, really needed the money.

I agree though - psychologically it is interesting. I always look at people thinking "how the heck could they say/do that?" I s'pose we are all made in different shapes, colors, sizes to keep life interesting.


I know which one of you I would rather be.
__________________
================================================================
~~~~~~ Looking for ALEX WOOD - 2013 Bowman Chrome/Draft Color (#/50 or less) ~~~~~~
================================================================
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.