Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gift Card Scam - Help / Guidance

I was selling a $250 Target Gift Card online, and someone said they were interested. They asked me to call them and target 3 way so I can use an automated system to check the balance. I typed in my numbers to let them hear I had $250 on the card. They said they would be on their way to pick it up. After a while, I decided to check the balance ... $0. They had some sort of phone program that stripped the #s and transferred the balance to their phone! URGH!!!

I called Target asking if they would be able to track the # it was transferred to, and put a hold on it or block it. They told me to file a police report. Well, I'm waiting on the officer now. The thief is probably already on his way to Target to spend my money. Target refuses to do anything until a report is filed.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good luck, hopefully you get your money back. But in the meantime here's my thoughts on this:

MVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh man ... that is just dirty dirty wrong. Really sorry to hear that. Lots of us here advised you to try to sell this gift card too.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wait ... if the balance is zero, then the money is already spent, right?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

That is a new one to me, good luck on a favorable resolution.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
XL5

FWIW, they used the tones when you entered your card number. Each tone = a different number and it is easy to decode.

Target won't do anything until a police report is filed because you could just be making it up. Once you involve the police, they are more likely to assume you are telling the truth. Most scammers won't call the police to run their scam.

Sucks to hear, hope you get some satisfaction.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
It means they at least transferred the balance. :/
Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Or they spent it online already
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I hate thieves. I wish we could cut off their hands.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotded View Post
I hate thieves. I wish we could cut off their hands.
with you on that one... but we should start with just thumbs, that might be enough.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
It means they at least transferred the balance. :/

Sorry to say, but the $0 balance means that the person who ripped you off spent the money already. They would have used the same GiftCard number you had to make the purchase, there is no way to change the code unless they used the money to purchase a different giftcard to have the money on.

If the balance was still available, what Target would do is cancel the Giftcard and issue a new one, but since the balance is zero there is nothing they can really do until the police are involved.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecamp99 View Post
Sorry to say, but the $0 balance means that the person who ripped you off spent the money already. They would have used the same GiftCard number you had to make the purchase, there is no way to change the code unless they used the money to purchase a different giftcard to have the money on.

If the balance was still available, what Target would do is cancel the Giftcard and issue a new one, but since the balance is zero there is nothing they can really do until the police are involved.
They actually said the balance was transferred to a cell phone, so ... I dunno. We'll see what happens. The lady that is head of a Target here said I'd definitely get my money back. We'll see!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
They actually said the balance was transferred to a cell phone, so ... I dunno. We'll see what happens. The lady that is head of a Target here said I'd definitely get my money back. We'll see!
Good, I hope you do. You can convert a Giftcard to your mobile phone but the Giftcard number should still be the same, so the amount should still be the same. Weird, but hopefully you get the money back and hope the D-Bag does't get to spend a dime of it.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Did you try calling them back, since you have their phone number?

Internet tough guy Will Watson is my #1 fan!!
THE(NEXT)LEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Are they a member on here?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

no they arent a member here
Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Any resolution yet? Not a vengeful person, but I'm hoping somebody gets the smackdown for this
Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Wow! that is just un-freaking-believable.

What made you recheck the balance after a little while?
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

That is just lousy. I work in retail and I get to see the absolute scum of society trying any and every scam they can think of. It really is very sad. I hope it works out for you and I hope the thief gets attacked by a rabid pit bull.

Always looking for Nomar Mazara Chrome Autographs or Color. Also interested in Rougned Odor.
kordell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
Wow! that is just un-freaking-believable.

What made you recheck the balance after a little while?
I don't know actually! I just felt like something may be up, and sure enough ... I was right. URGH!

No new news yet. The sergeant contacted me a few times again asking me questions, so they are working on it.

In the end, if they don't catch him, it is a bummer, but he WILL get caught on something. He is ultimately ripping himself off of a life of virtue. He got $250 from me potentially. Big whoop. He still has to live his life knowing he is a scumbag, and continue on with his loser existence. It is really something that while he has pissed me off, he is to be pitied. He doesn't even know what he is doing to himself and the people he loves.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #21 (permalink)

Location: Da Bronx! Home of the best baseball team ever. Yankees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecamp99 View Post
Good, I hope you do. You can convert a Giftcard to your mobile phone but the Giftcard number should still be the same, so the amount should still be the same. Weird, but hopefully you get the money back and hope the D-Bag does't get to spend a dime of it.
I would of muted the initial dial in, and just have them hear the amount. They must of used a number tracker, this is the same as when you type in a SS# or pin number on a phone, and the phone knows what numbers you typed. They do sell blockers that will scramble the tone. Sorry, but this had happened to me also in the past, and I was fortunate that I only lost $100. But tracking these people is hard, once they do this. These idiots are smart at ripping people off, but once they get caught, they cry like bitches. I hope the police, does something about this. Good Luck!
bronxbombers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

It has been over a month now, and I decided to send Target a letter. We'll see what happens!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
He still has to live his life knowing he is a scumbag, and continue on with his loser existence. It is really something that while he has pissed me off, he is to be pitied. He doesn't even know what he is doing to himself and the people he loves.
Of course you realize that some people don't have a conscious, plain and simple. There is varying degrees of the disorder obviously, ranging from what this guy did (quite clever actually) to the actions of say, Hitler for example. The fact that you care or think that "he is to be pitied" or that "he doesn't know what he's doing to himself or his family" is every bit as ridiculous as him believing the exact opposite. Such an incredibly pointless argument to have at any level when dealing with people of that mindset. While you feel your feet are firmly planted on honorable and true ground, he doesn't care that you even have feet, let alone care about where they stand.

Point is, you're wasting your time trying to correct, eliminate, or explain the behavior. He doesn't understand you much the same way you don't understand him. Psychologically fascinating anyway you look it at it.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenineeightsix View Post
Of course you realize that some people don't have a conscious, plain and simple. There is varying degrees of the disorder obviously, ranging from what this guy did (quite clever actually) to the actions of say, Hitler for example. The fact that you care or think that "he is to be pitied" or that "he doesn't know what he's doing to himself or his family" is every bit as ridiculous as him believing the exact opposite. Such an incredibly pointless argument to have at any level when dealing with people of that mindset. While you feel your feet are firmly planted on honorable and true ground, he doesn't care that you even have feet, let alone care about where they stand.

Point is, you're wasting your time trying to correct, eliminate, or explain the behavior. He doesn't understand you much the same way you don't understand him. Psychologically fascinating anyway you look it at it.
He is hurting himself and others around him, whether he understands/feels it or not, and in the end, he will pay. Things like this tend to always come back and bite you in the butt.

Oh well, thank the Lord it wasn't thousands of dollars. I'm over it - just thankful it didn't happen to someone who really, really needed the money.

I agree though - psychologically it is interesting. I always look at people thinking "how the heck could they say/do that?" I s'pose we are all made in different shapes, colors, sizes to keep life interesting.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenineeightsix View Post

Quote:
He is hurting himself and others around him, whether he understands/feels it or not, and in the end, he will pay. Things like this tend to always come back and bite you in the butt.

Oh well, thank the Lord it wasn't thousands of dollars. I'm over it - just thankful it didn't happen to someone who really, really needed the money.

I agree though - psychologically it is interesting. I always look at people thinking "how the heck could they say/do that?" I s'pose we are all made in different shapes, colors, sizes to keep life interesting.

I know which one of you I would rather be.