Blowout Cards Forums
Re-Pack Attack

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
Hooray! Betances is still considered a top Yankees prospect .

Very nice lists. I'm a little bit shocked & embarrassed to say that I didn't recognize three of the Yankees prospects though, guess I'll have to do some more research for the future Yankees.
Haha woohoo! I'm still rooting for Betances because he's a local kid...hope he bounces back!

I actually don't know at least 4 or 5 of our guys, but hey, it's not like we get big-name draft picks LOL
Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by fert360 View Post
Well I mainly went to watch Crick and Panik not really Brown but what do you think Brown did differently than last year????
Here's what BA had to say, as I wasn't there:

Brown established a high Class A San Jose record with 188 hits in the California League a year ago, but a jump to the Eastern League in 2012 let a lot of air out of his numbers. For two months in June and July, he hit an exemplary .326/.377/.498, but for the remainder of the season he batted a soft .243 as he struggled to keep his hitting mechanics in check.

When Brown struggles, he tends to open up too much with his lead foot and leak out to his front side, leading to lots of weak contact and extended slumps. Scouts who like Brown project him as an on-base-oriented leadoff hitter with line-drive power and impact potential on the basepaths. He ought to bolster a batting average in the .270 range with plenty of walks, infield hits and extra bases courtesy of his speed, which some evaluators peg at a true 80 on the 20-to-80 scouting scale.

Despite his wheels, Brown succeeded on just 65 percent of his steal attempts, going 33-for-51. His quickness stood out more in center field, where he shows plenty of range and an average arm.

"When you watch this guy on a daily basis you realize that he's an absolute Houdini in center field," Richmond manager Dave Machemer said. "He has made catches this year where it seemed like there was no chance of catching the ball."

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by Jaypers; 10-19-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Jaypers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #28 (permalink)

This is an awesome list, I just traded for some cards of some of those Braves prospects and I hadn't even really heard of them before haha.

Are these some names that will be in 2012 BDPP?
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #29 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
What's your overall thoughts on Jonathan Griffin?
Big kid, but restricted to 1B. Not a lot of mobility. Has much less plate discipline than Vogelbach, but comparable power. Stood out at the plate in the hitter-friendly CAL, but needs to do likewise at higher levels.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
This is an awesome list, I just traded for some cards of some of those Braves prospects and I hadn't even really heard of them before haha.

Are these some names that will be in 2012 BDPP?
Checklist isn't live yet, but I've been told it'll be announced a couple of weeks before it releases (probably in mid-Nov).

Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
Checklist isn't live yet, but I've been told it'll be announced a couple of weeks before it releases (probably in mid-Nov).
Ah yeah, I guess I was more asking if these were the names of people that have the potential to be in BDPP. I know prospects appear in different products, but don't know how old the people on this list are, and whether they've already had first bowman cards, and all that.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #32 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
Ah yeah, I guess I was more asking if these were the names of people that have the potential to be in BDPP. I know prospects appear in different products, but don't know how old the people on this list are, and whether they've already had first bowman cards, and all that.
Those who were drafted this year have the potential to be included, especially if they were picked in the first few rounds.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #33 (permalink)

Great work as always.

Care to share what you think of Robbie Erlin. I know he had some injury problems this year (elbow tendonitis I believe?) but he has put up good numbers in every stop along the way so far.

-James
Always accepting consignments - Top Rated Seller - PM Me!
pastmyshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastmyshades View Post
Great work as always.

Care to share what you think of Robbie Erlin. I know he had some injury problems this year (elbow tendonitis I believe?) but he has put up good numbers in every stop along the way so far.

-James
My opinion of him hasn't changed since last year. Control is his best attibute, he has good secondary pitches and a solid FB. If he stays healthy, he could debut at Petco late next year.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Haha woohoo! I'm still rooting for Betances because he's a local kid...hope he bounces back!

I actually don't know at least 4 or 5 of our guys, but hey, it's not like we get big-name draft picks LOL
That's one of the biggest reasons why I love collecting Betances' cards, NY native (like me) playing for the New York Yankees. Cito Culver's also from NY, if memory recalls he's from Rochester (where I've been to a lot of times in my childhood), sad to see that he didn't make this list but he did take a step backwards in 2012. Notice a trend? Don't want to put any pressure on either of them though, as I can only imagine the amount of stress both are facing as it's one thing to be considered "The Future of the New York Yankees" but it's probably a whole other thing to be the future Yankees as well as being born & raised in New York.

LOL true, that is the price the Yankees have to pay for winning every year. Plus more often than not their top prospects are usually non-drafted free agents that only scouts & heavily involved prospectors could ever have known about beforehand like Mariano Rivera, Melky Cabrera, Ivan Nova, Jesus Montero etc...
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #36 (permalink)

What went wrong with Tim Beckham?
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #37 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
The Rays worst pick ever. I have no idea how they thought he was worth the first overall pick.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
I asked about him recently.

@Jaypers413 (IL): If Tim Beckham's potential was a "10" when he was drafted, what number would you give it now?

John Manuel: It's pretty funny that I seem to have become Tim Beckham's biggest defender not employed by the Rays. He didn't help me much in an interview for the column I wrote on him, making several big topics off-limits. That said, I've seen him and talked to scouts around here about him for two seasons now (end of '11, much of '12), both times in August. I can see why the Rays like him in that he has solid righthanded power; he just doesn't control the strike zone well enough to get to it. He was one of the youngest regulars in the league this year, a big reason why he made the list. One scout I talked to thought he was a Sean Rodriguez type; the other thought he was better than that, a better hitter, a regular, everyday 2B. To answer your question, I'll put it in 20-80 terms. If he was an 80 when he was drafted, he's a 45 now. He's a fringe regular at this point. His ceiling is about a 50/Medium (to use the Handbook term) on that scale I can see him becoming an average regular. I don't think that's optimistic or pessimistic; I really think that's a realistic ceiling.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #39 (permalink)

Well done!
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #40 (permalink)

Can I ask how you rank josh sale in TB's top 20? He wasn't in BA's top 30 going into the season, and his season was cut short due to use of performance enhancers.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #41 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chad View Post
Can I ask how you rank josh sale in TB's top 20? He wasn't in BA's top 30 going into the season, and his season was cut short due to use of performance enhancers.
His swing and plate discipline improved dramatically since 2011.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #42 (permalink)

Good list...I disagree with you on some of your placement of Phils, but for the most part it seems pretty accurate. Great insight as always
Old 10-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #43 (permalink)

I disagree with a lot of the placements and thoughts on the prospects, not because I dont like Jaypers but because of what I read and etc, but the fact he takes the time to do this, puts effort into it and backs it up, I can only applaud him and not nit pick certain points. A lot of stuff I agree with too.

Even though Anthony Ranaudo should be 31st, I f'ing hate him.

And I glad publication #1 proved me right about Bryce Brentz
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #44 (permalink)

Thanks Jaypers, what are your thoughts on Brian Johnson if I may ask?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

No Chase Davidson in the Astros top 20???
mdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #46 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

What has happened to cause the huge decline in Felix Sterling? Last year he was #4 on your CLE list and now he doesn't even crack the top 4.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #47 (permalink)

Awesome job man, thanks
GoA's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #48 (permalink)

Great stuff as always Jaypers. The one glaring thing I saw was I thought Kyle Gibson was a little low for the Twins, understanding they have a lot of high impact bats in the system but think Gibson could be a frontline starter and something they sorely need
Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Sad that Zych has vanished
55_marlins_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #50 (permalink)

I would have thought a nice season from Aderlin R. would have gotten him higher than 20, thoughts?