Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best surprise you ever got from ebay?

Many years ago I was on a kick to buy every rookie card of everyone from the 80s and early 90s. I found one guy that had a listing where every card was really nice, so I bought like 10 cards from him. One of them was a 1986 Topps Traded Barry Bonds that I paid $15 for. As soon as I opened the package I knew something was Different. He Sent me the tiffany version!! He never realized what it was. Ended up selling it for $200.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

The evil ebay invoice......
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I always appreicate when sellers throw in a few Orioles freebies along with the cards I win.

I just recently won a Brian Roberts printing plate for only about $6, and he included a Xavier Avery Topps Chrome refractor and an Adam Jones Die Cut. Not high dollar cards, but they are cards I probably would have picked up somewhere along the way for a buck or so.

The best one though was when I sold a 2012 Harper Bowman Chrome auto for $400 when Chrome was first released. I messaged the guy saying thanks for his purchase, and asked whether he was collecting or prospecting just b/c I found it facinating someone would pay so much. It led to a brief conversation about his collection and he ended up sending me a Ripken Jersey card and Eddie Murray RC that won't ever leave my PC.

Good suprises happen every once in a while, I'll leave the bad ones for another time.

Check out my group breaks!
speedmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bought a bunch of cards which was poorly photographed and the listing was only slightly better. Cards were described as 'vintage' and 'well thumbed.' The only cards I could tell he was selling for sure was some 1971 baseball. I took a chance and paid a whole 15 bucks. He wasn't lying about them being well thumbed but the cards were a mix (approx 800 cards) of 1970-74 football, baseball and basketball. Included were cards of OJ Simpson, Lew [Kareem] Alcindor, 2x 1971 Nolan Ryan, Thurmon Munson RC, Gale Sayers RC, Dusty Baker/Don Baylor RC, Bill Walton RC, a few Jerry Wests, Bart Starrs and Willie Mayses. Plus TWO Pete Maravich rookie cards. I've made about 30x my initial investment and still have most of the cards, including the two Maraviches, which may be well thumbed but should still fetch 50 bucks apiece easily. Even though I'm not a basketball fan, and had not previously heard of Maravich, I've become quite attached to them - I love that 1970-71 set.
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

best surprise i've gotten is cards being in better condition than i expected.
example: bought a PC which at the time felt like i was overpaying for. it was described generically as NM-MINT, so expected such. when i got it in hand, noticed how immaculate it was figured it was a good chance of being gem mint...well it was close =)

rmiller1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

When NT first came out in 06, I bought a nice Joe Montana patch for $80 off eBay. The seller accidentally shipped me a patch/auto (probably a $200+ card at the time). It was a cool card to see in person, but I contacted the seller and swapped it out for what I actually bought. I'm sure the seller was relieved.

Non sports card related, I once bought a large "lot" of older video games which were not very thoroughly described (lots of detail missing - IE large tubs just showing just the games at the top), which was essentially a gamble. What you could make out was probably worth around $300-400 with a bunch of unknown stuff buried below. I bought the lot for a little over $400 delivered. It turns out the remaining items were lots of Rare/HTF import Dreamcast games and older popular NES/SNES titles (RPGs, etc.). After piecing everything out, I probably ended up moving the lot for around $2500 to $3K.

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Best surprise for me was buying a basketball that was signed by all the coaches at one of Michael Jordan's Fantasy Basketball Camp in Santa Barbara. It included legendary college coaches such as Kryzewski, Dean Smith, Tom Izzo, Boeheim, etc.

Was happy to find that Jordan also had signed it when it arrived in the mail!

aclben
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I PM'd a guy once about 6 months ago on a Plaxico Burress 2000 SPx graded auto he had listed the week before. I didn't have the money the week it was listed and it was a little higher than I wanted to pay. I am doing the set. Anyway, I PMd asking if he'd be relisting and told him why. He said "just send me your address and good luck with your set." A few days later I got the card in the mail.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

the best i ever got is when i bought a Buster Posey (rc) and had 2010 UD Buster Posey
gold version ( /99) it was added as a freebie.....both cards are my PC now
scorpion1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I bought an Ozzie Smith lot with about 20 cards, and the picture was awfully small and didn't show all the cards. For about 8 bucks I got a 2011 Tribute Pastime Patches, sweet dual-patch card.
dlcarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dap

Default Ted Williams auto

About a year ago I bought a UDA Ted Williams auto 8 by10 (sports illustrated cover). Two days after getting it in the mail I was sent a second one!! Emailed the guy and sent it back. Also once bought a tapestry from eBay with a new seller, never paid as I was waiting for a response to his question. Well 8 months later I get a package which is huge! Sure enough it was the tapestry.
Dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_peapod View Post
Many years ago I was on a kick to buy every rookie card of everyone from the 80s and early 90s. I found one guy that had a listing where every card was really nice, so I bought like 10 cards from him. One of them was a 1986 Topps Traded Barry Bonds that I paid $15 for. As soon as I opened the package I knew something was Different. He Sent me the tiffany version!! He never realized what it was. Ended up selling it for $200.
when you get a 1099k
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I consider buyers paying for their items a "nice surprise".
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
I consider buyers paying for their items a "nice surprise".
This

The guy accepted my counter and still hasn't paid
Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

About 10 years ago I bought a UDA signed baseball of Feller, Niekro, and Perry. When the package showed up there was 3 of them in there. Notified the seller and he said to keep them. Was very happy about that since I paid around $20 for it.
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

i bought a 1990 leaf rc sammy sosa a few years back , in the desription, the seller stated it will shipped in a top loader. few days later. the card came and it was shipped with a card sleeve and team bag and i pmed the seller amd thank him for the extras stuff
LiveCardsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveCardsLife View Post
i bought a 1990 leaf rc sammy sosa a few years back , in the desription, the seller stated it will shipped in a top loader. few days later. the card came and it was shipped with a card sleeve and team bag and i pmed the seller amd thank him for the extras stuff
lol............
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

I once bought a dual 7 color (or at least that's how it was described) Patch of Rickey Henderson with no photo.

Surprise #1: It arrived in a pwe and the card was in a semi rigid holder (no sleeve, the holder did scrape an edge a bit.

Surprise #2: Can't remember if this was in the description but a few extras were included, including a 01 Private Stock Bat card. None of the cards were damaged during shipping.

Surprise #3:

And yes, the patch is authentic!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Delivery in 36 hours from time of purchase!

Now thats 5 star service!!!
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #20 (permalink)

A few months ago, I saw an Evan Longoria signed 2009 Topps All Rookie Team card with a 9.5 grading. The seller listed it for $0.99 (like most sellers do), but nobody must've saw it and lord behold, the time was ticking away and it was still at 99 cents. I was gonna bid on it, but I thought it would be kind of a jerk move to do that. I mean, I don't believe the card was fake or anything, so it would be a pretty big steal and I know that if I was the seller, I would be praying nobody would bid $0.99 on it and win. I'm not sure how much it sold for, or if it even got relisted.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #21 (permalink)

I bid for an item days before the auction was going to end and ended up winning it.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

My best surprise from ebay came like 10 years ago. I had bought some box topper 5x7 jumbos from some baseball product, I think maybe it was called Fleer Avant or something like that. I bought them cause I was considering doing the entire set. There were 4 of them in the lot and they were sealed. Got em for like 10 bucks shipped. Well when I get them in I start going through them and amazingly the last of the 4 was like 6x thicker than a normal jumbo card. It was so tightly sealed that you could actually see the outline of the entire card. I knew immediately what it was, an authentic game used letter off the back of the jersey. They were incredibly hard to find, especially back in 02-03. I open it up and it was a Mike Piazza letter 'I' from the 'Piazza' nameplate. Sold it for like $600. I have absolutely no idea how the seller didn't see it, like I said you could see the outline of the entire card and it was majorly thick compared to any other card that would be in that pack

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote