Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

You're asking a company to fix a problem the consumer has created with defrauding one another. Not exactly high priority when the software will cost a lot of money to develop, and it will cost a lot of money if labor and create new jobs - that don't bring in new revenue.

You are also going to have other issues at hand. Cards getting damaged in transit since they now have to go through another set of hands, so more people are going to want replacement cards. Cards coming up missing, etc... This becomes a liability/shrink issue now.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
There would be no point in scanning/tracking non serial numbered jersey cards. So that removes a lot of thoese "millions."
If you look at 2012 Tier One "Top Shelf Relics" there are 64 players that are not SP that have cards in that set. All have cards that are /399, /99, and /25. That is 33,472 cards from part of 1 insert set, in one product, in one sport.

2012 Topps Finest Jumbo RC auto's there are 17,607 of those.

While I did not consider that there are tons that arent numbered so I would predict somewhere close to a million cards still for a single year.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #28 (permalink)

i think a lot of guys are missing the point. while i agree 100% that a patch/memorabilia photo database could cut out a lot of the aftermarket forgery, it does not make sense for Topps as a business. remember, for a business to spend money the ROI (return on investment) must make sense. now ask yourself... if Topps invests the time, money, and resources into a system like this will it REALLY increase their sales enough to make such a database profitable or even revenue neutral? i'd bet the answer is "no" otherwise they would have done it already.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
True, but shouldn't the total cost (w/r/t both money and time) be about the same as a function of revenue?
probably would be more expensive because there would be fixed software costs most likely involved. Topps is just being lazy. 3 (most likely unpaid) interns could handle doing this for all their highend releases, its a crock that they say the expense would be too much as server space wouldnt be terrible either.

PANINI = CHEAPSKATES: http://youtu.be/rsSq7QqpUto
clipperboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win4Vin View Post
i think a lot of guys are missing the point. while i agree 100% that a patch/memorabilia photo database could cut out a lot of the aftermarket forgery, it does not make sense for Topps as a business. remember, for a business to spend money the ROI (return on investment) must make sense. now ask yourself... if Topps invests the time, money, and resources into a system like this will it REALLY increase their sales enough to make such a database profitable or even revenue neutral? i'd bet the answer is "no" otherwise they would have done it already.
not necessarily true. Most companies often dont implement a lot of things they can do to not only boost sales (specifically short term) but overall brand value which increases brand loyalty. They have collectors in a corner, thats why I think the market is prime for the picking for another company to arise and for collectors to have a true advocate.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #31 (permalink)

eh. nevermind
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperboy24 View Post
not necessarily true. Most companies often dont implement a lot of things they can do to not only boost sales (specifically short term) but overall brand value which increases brand loyalty. They have collectors in a corner, thats why I think the market is prime for the picking for another company to arise and for collectors to have a true advocate.
The market is not even close to "prime for the picking" unless MLB allows other companies to use logo's.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperboy24 View Post
you're right. they do have collectors cornered... which is why i don't believe this will add value to their products in sense of ROI. sure it will add value for collectors, but it may not increase sales. the money they would spend on a patch database could be better spent on marketing, advertising, or adding more hits to the product. those three will be far more effective in increasing sales than a patch database. see my point?

Last edited by Win4Vin; 10-29-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Win4Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #34 (permalink)

They don't need to scan every single jersey card, numbered or not. They only need to scan patch cards, and maybe things like cards of dead HOFers where doing something like switching out a bat piece with an old looking jersey piece inflates the value even without it being a patch. I don't think people really make money by replacing plain jersey cards with different color plain jersey pieces do they?

They're never going to do it unfortunately. The only way they would is if MLB forced them to. We as collectors might be better off complaining to MLB than the card companies, but I don't know how we'd go about that or if that would even be effective either.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotded View Post
The market is not even close to "prime for the picking" unless MLB allows other companies to use logo's.
companies will find a way to grow a brand that could potentially entice the MLB, showing how much better the MLB brand could be represented. Its not just selling to collectors you have to sell to the people (MLB, NBA, NFL etc.) you are marketing

Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win4Vin View Post
you're right. they do have collectors cornered... which is why i don't believe this will add value to their products in sense of ROI. sure it will add value for collectors, but it may not increase sales. the money they would spend on a patch database could be better spent on marketing, advertising, or adding more hits to the product. those three will be far more effective in increasing sales than a patch database. see my point?
imagine if they incorporated that into their marketing? It shows the hard core collectors this company is actually really serious about meeting their collecting needs and providing an avenue to "protect" the value of their collections to an extent. Would be more of a long term minded brand building marketing effort but I believe would have short term dividends as well. I would definitely chalk it up into the low risk medium-high reward category and most of the time those are worth trying.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #37 (permalink)

Atleast you got a response... I tweeted them a pic of my 1/1 Koufax and asked how they could f it up and go -0- response lol
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #38 (permalink)

I tweeted them this and got no response.....

https://twitter.com/Briansportscard/...92866236854272
Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
The only way it'd work if it was a 1/1 tracker for hi end products like Five Star & Museum Collection.
Or maybe Triple threads.....
Niykee Heaton is the most beautiful girl in the world.
fert360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
Atleast you got a response... I tweeted them a pic of my 1/1 Koufax and asked how they could f it up and go -0- response lol
What's up with your Koufax?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Just start putting clear windows over the patches kind of like they did years ago with the game used dirt cards from SC baseball
freeman2jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #42 (permalink)

Topps doesn't care about you after you've bought their products, they already have the money.

As long as sales are good, they really have no incentive to help the collector out.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman2jackson View Post
Just start putting clear windows over the patches kind of like they did years ago with the game used dirt cards from SC baseball
But then how will my kids rub their little fingers across the patch and say "ooooooooh"? How I ask you?!?!?!

calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #44 (permalink)

It would be a great idea but doubt they ever do it. Why not try to make the card tamper proof. I think that is the best way of fixing the problem. Obviously they can't put ink packets to protect the patch from being tampered because god forbid if it started happening by accident to cards. There has to be a way to make a card tamper proof. And if it is tampered with the patch, it either leaves a mark and ruins the card forever. Just my two cents.

I always thought new cards really couldn't be messed with. I thought all fakes were with auto balls, game used jerseys, vintage cards. We the customer made it happen in all honesty. We gave them a reason. That 4 color patch is nicer than the one color patch. That awesome patch of the logo is nicer than the 3 color patch. So they saw a market with new cards turning a $100 card into $400 card. It's ruining the hobby. Who can you trust anymore?
phishphood318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #45 (permalink)

Topps is the same as any other company. It's like automotive companies, they could care less if you bastardize your brand new Prius with aftermarket 22 inch rims, fuscia paint job and a park bench spoiler, so long as you paid for your car and gave them business.

I mean it 'would' be nice if Topps did this, but it's just a lost cause and you're wasting your time with the wishful thinking.

Here's a real 'novel' idea to try and combat counterfeiting: make their patch cards multi-layered (which they already are) and insert a clear, plexiglass layer which covers the patch windows. Keeps the patches clean and makes the counterfeiters jobs that much more difficult. I really don't see how that could increase production cost that much, and I think it'd be a happy medium for both parties.

Last edited by ninjacookies; 10-30-2012 at 04:50 AM.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #46 (permalink)

Topps making a database like this is the equiv of getting a new roof on a house. It doesn't increase value, just makes it safer, and it is necessary.
Cubsfan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #47 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishphood318 View Post
It would be a great idea but doubt they ever do it. Why not try to make the card tamper proof. I think that is the best way of fixing the problem. Obviously they can't put ink packets to protect the patch from being tampered because god forbid if it started happening by accident to cards. There has to be a way to make a card tamper proof. And if it is tampered with the patch, it either leaves a mark and ruins the card forever. Just my two cents.
I don't think they need to make cards tamper-proof. If you own the card and want to put a fake jersey in there for your PC, so be it. What they need to do is protect buyers on the secondary market from buying those altered patches. The easiest way to do that is have an image database for serial numbered patches/relics.

But like has already been said, the cost isn't worth it to them. Yet. Remember, the secondary market drives the primary market so if the value of "sick patches" comes down because of all the fakes out there it may spur some type of action. As members of the hobby, the best thing we can do is educate buyers about fakes. As long as someone out there is paying good money for fake patches the product holds value and Topps gets paid out.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan2011 View Post
Topps making a database like this is the equiv of getting a new roof on a house. It doesn't increase value, just makes it safer, and it is necessary.
Actually yes it does increase a home's value...
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
What's up with your Koufax?
When they put it in the penny sleeve they peeled part of the corner lower right corner you could tell whoever placed it in the sleeve f'd it
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #50 (permalink)

Topps needs to put a serial number on the back of all high end cards. Something like Jk834a. You then go to topps.com and enter the serial number in the search bar, and bam! A picture of the card comes up right before it shipped from Topps. PSA can do it...why cant you do it Topps?