Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay seller question - What should I do here?

So I bought a Josh Hamilton 2012 Finest Atomic Refractor /5 card from a person at what I thought was a pretty good price. So today I get this message from the seller...

Hi, I refunded your money for the hamilton card. I have misplaced the card and didn't want to waiting any longer. When I find it I will let you know and you if you still want the card we can settle up. Thanks

Personally, I think this is pretty lame and in well over 3,000 ebay purchases, this is the first time I have heard that. Now I did get my money back, but I really want the card. What do I do now? Should I leave negative feedback? Or just grin and take it?

Here is how I responded to the seller...

Dear crawdadyj,

That is pretty lame. How could you misplace the card?? Really?? You had it a week ago when you made a scan of it and put it on ebay right?? Did it get up and walk away?? Did your dog eat it?

I really don't want to take my money back. I really want the card.

Please let me know what I can/should do?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jenkinssssss

Refund, neg him, move on. Nothing else you can do.
Jenkinssssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Really can't do anything. Complain to eBay about the seller for being an ass but besides that what else can you do. Messed up on his part. He was to cheap to put a reserve price and that's why he did what he did I bet when it went for so little.
phishphood318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-Yer gonna have to decide for yourself.

I would leave a neutral. Others would tell you to leave nothing at all with the full refund.

You might get a couple of folks pushing for a neg.

Up to you. The seller didn't mess around, who knows if they're telling the truth or not (which is immaterial), and you got a full refund.

Good luck with the decision.

lobo_hacker, still looking for that damn hamilton he lost this week
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Leave a negative. BS excuse. You would be getting your money back whether or not he agreed so he's doing you no favor.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyni View Post
So I bought a Josh Hamilton 2012 Finest Atomic Refractor /5 card from a person at what I thought was a pretty good price. So today I get this message from the seller...

Hi, I refunded your money for the hamilton card. I have misplaced the card and didn't want to waiting any longer. When I find it I will let you know and you if you still want the card we can settle up. Thanks

Personally, I think this is pretty lame and in well over 3,000 ebay purchases, this is the first time I have heard that. Now I did get my money back, but I really want the card. What do I do now? Should I leave negative feedback? Or just grin and take it?

Here is how I responded to the seller...

Dear crawdadyj,

That is pretty lame. How could you misplace the card?? Really?? You had it a week ago when you made a scan of it and put it on ebay right?? Did it get up and walk away?? Did your dog eat it?

I really don't want to take my money back. I really want the card.

Please let me know what I can/should do?
Cards do get misplaced in the process of moving, sorting, etc. Also, just because the card is listed doesn't mean it was scanned a week ago. could have been scanned months ago and lost in the meantime.

I also think you handled the response very poorly.

As far as feedback, leave whatever you feel is appropriate.
uberfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

If it was a buy it now it would be plausible however highly unlikely. If you are the one that sold for $22.51 with 6 bids I call BS on this seller. I hate to ever suggest negatives especially when you see they have 100% positive but that may just be because most people really dont want to leave a negative and mess up someones record. At the very least leave a neutral and be specific in the feedback about "misplacing" a card.

I would report the issue to eBay because believe it or not this type of thing happens quite a bit when you are dealing with certain collectibles and auctions. You just never know which way it may swing and when something goes for far less than expected they cancel it and refund. I have had this personally happen several times and ebay is on the buyers side of it for sure.

Good luck with the card and your dilemma.
Oneqtpieami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfatty View Post
Cards do get misplaced in the process of moving, sorting, etc. Also, just because the card is listed doesn't mean it was scanned a week ago. could have been scanned months ago and lost in the meantime.

I also think you handled the response very poorly.

As far as feedback, leave whatever you feel is appropriate.
I agree with this ... it sucks for you, but I would move on. You have no way of actually know whether the card was lost or the seller is lying.

However, I would also pay close attention to this seller and this card. As soon as he relists it without first contacting you, I would be all over that.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

The feedback is really your call. If you feel unsatisfied with the purchase, make it known. That's why the feedback system is in place.

Things do get misplaced and assuming what the seller says is the truth, there is nothing the seller can do but continue to look for it. I've personally lost a card I sold on eBay before. It happens.

IMO the seller automatically sending you a refund without consulting you is a bigger issue here than the implausibility of actually losing the card.

My Photobucket: http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/mcgoo2_2008/
mcgoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think this is a sketchy move he didn't even talk to you about and just sent a refund? Seems like he didn't want to sell the card for the price you got it for to me. Hope you get your Card.
Keep talking with him to try to get it resolved and hopefully he "finds" the card
I would only Neg him in this situation if he is unwilling to continue to communicate and work this out.

Good Luck
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

If it were me I would probably leave a negative so that way future people who bid on this guy's auctions know what may happen. I would prob say something like 'won item for a good price, seller suddenly claims to 'lose' the item a week after auction ended' or something to that affect. But that is just my opinion. While that is suspicious enough that he 'lost' it, I think the thing that clearly pushes it over the top is that he suddenly just refunds you the money. No communication before hand. If he was shipping the card 2-3 days after and couldnt find it dont you think he would message you and say 'Hey I am sorry, I have temporarily misplaced the card but I am still looking for it. Will lyk in a few days. Sorry for the delay'. Or at least ask you if you want to continue to wait for the item or if you want an immediate refund? To just come out of nowhere and just say I refunded you the money because I lost the card screams GUILTY!

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Leave whatever you want for feedback but remember leaving negative/neutrals too often hurts yourself.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Neg him??? Why??? I've misplaced things before. It's not like it wouldn't pop back up if he was just being sketchy. But come on. You got your money back. NBD, Move on to the next card.
Craiggysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
zep

Your reply was "lamer" than him losing the card
zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

I would not leave any feedback for the time being and wait till you calm down before making a decision. This way you can also moniter the sellers auctions and said card if he doesn't "find" it and you still have the opportunity to leave feedback for 45 days if anything suspicious occurs. I would also take his previous track record into account.

Sounds like he's trying to feed you a load of doo doo but stranger things have happened.
yountman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yountman View Post
I would not leave any feedback for the time being and wait till you calm down before making a decision. This way you can also moniter the sellers auctions and said card if he doesn't "find" it and you still have the opportunity to leave feedback for 45 days if anything suspicious occurs. I would also take his previous track record into account.

Sounds like he's trying to feed you a load of doo doo but stranger things have happened.
I agree with this approach. See if he relists it or if the card shows up elsewhere for a couple of weeks. If it does and he didn't contact you, then leave the appropriate feedback.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiggysanford View Post
Neg him??? Why??? I've misplaced things before. It's not like it wouldn't pop back up if he was just being sketchy. But come on. You got your money back. NBD, Move on to the next card.
I agree with this. I have not only misplaced cards but one time I had my yellow lab eat a high dollar card that was already sold. Stuff happens and you got your money back. I guess hold off on the feedback and if he ends up relisting it contact him. If he wont sell it to you for the original price you won it for then leave the neg because you have proof he is lying.
crazycards1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

I wouldn't leave feedback, but would neg him when/if he relists it without contacting you.
As the clouds drown the light, I wonder where you are tonight.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yountman View Post
I would not leave any feedback for the time being and wait till you calm down before making a decision.
Wisest post of the thread.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

I am extremely appreciative of all of the responses. Seems like an issue that people have strong feelings about.

As to my response to the seller. I was pissed and just started typing so my frustration may have been a little apparent.

I too agree that the thing that bothers me is the immediate refund without any other communication. I would be willing to at least let him look for it for a few more days.

For now I think I will withhold feedback and be on the lookout for him relisting the card.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Assume for a moment hes telling you the truth.
If you drop a negative, do you think theres any chance he contacts you IF the cards arises?
Of course not.

And for what its worth, I have found a card 6 months later under my scanner after I scanned it.
Sometimes things really do get misplaced.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

I have lost cards on more than one occasion. Somehow, I lost a 100 card set that I still cannot find. I emailed the buyer after a week and told him I was still searching, please give me another week. After week #2, I emailed him asking if he would like a refund and I would send him something for his troubles. But cards to get lost. How I lost a 100 card set is beyond me though, but that's another story.

It is difficult to stay organized, at least for me. I will lose 1-2 cards per year but will always offer to send something else along with a full refund.

The only way I would neg him is if the card was extremely hot, at auction, and sold dirt cheap. I'm sorry, but a Josh Hamilton card does not fit this bill.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote