Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did I just get shilled?

I woke up this morning and saw I won an auction over night. I only won b/c a bidder, s***r ( 1 ), had retracted their bid.

Here's the ebay auction I won:

Ryan Zimmerman Bowman Baseball 2012 Red Ice | eBay

Here's is the sellers only other auction, same s***r ( 1 ) is doing the shilling:

Mike Trout Auto RC 2011TOPPS Finest Gold 14 75 Mint Cond Hot | eBay

s***r ( 1 ) only has a bid history with this seller. What do I do?!?!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Uh yea I would say so....not sure what you can do tho. You can report it to ebay.

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

100% activity with that seller. Yep. You got shilled.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natitude View Post
What do I do?!?!
I know shilling sucks, but my humble advice since eBay does not give a crap about it is to not bid more than you are willing to spend. Then if it goes to your max, oh well...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Didn't even try to hide the shill. And you have MANY options...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't pay and would report it. I'd take a NPB hit over it and would leave a neutral feedback for shilling. I'm sick of these assclowns.

America is clearly wheezing its last ethical gasps.
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Contact ebay customer service:

All of his auctions are seemingly shilled
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Best way to avoid the shill is bid at the last minute if possible. That way you know what kind of bidding activity is going on and a shill can't chew away your proxy.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've sent an ebay report so we'll see what happens. The seller is jtsorrow so block, block, BLOCK!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

wow this guy is doing it on every item he has... Sketchy
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

What I don't understand is that if the highest bidder retracted his final bid, then the auction should go back to the last highest bid where you were on top. Because homeboy obviously didn't want this card, you should have gotten it for $13. They should retract every single bid the guy made.

I think that's the only way to keep sellers from shilling.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

they do retract every bid... he just finds out where your high bid is then bids again up to that point so he gets the max out of you
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

actually your right?? why is it keeping his bid I just looked at the timing of the bids.. Weird
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
XL5

With the bid retraction in there you have a decent case.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Well easiest way to tell is when the bid is canceled bc only the seller can cancel a bid.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
What I don't understand is that if the highest bidder retracted his final bid, then the auction should go back to the last highest bid where you were on top. Because homeboy obviously didn't want this card, you should have gotten it for $13. They should retract every single bid the guy made.

+1 great idea
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
Well easiest way to tell is when the bid is canceled bc only the seller can cancel a bid.
The shilling account, s***r ( 1 ), retracted its high bid, so that made me the highest bidder, but clearly the seller, jtsorrow, owns this shilling account. Just look at all his auctions!

BTW, how many bid retractions can you have before ebay does something about it?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I wouldn't pay and would report it. I'd take a NPB hit over it and would leave a neutral feedback for shilling. I'm sick of these assclowns.
The problem with that is the feedback can be removed if he doesn't pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugarpj View Post
Best way to avoid the shill is bid at the last minute if possible. That way you know what kind of bidding activity is going on and a shill can't chew away your proxy.
Solid advice right here.

Quote:

Multiple bids were made. Only the highest was retracted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
Bid was retracted, not cancelled.

[QUOTE=Natitude;3573364

BTW, how many bid retractions can you have before ebay does something about it?[/QUOTE]

Way to many. I've seen as high as 646 in a 6 month period. Most sellers don't bother to report the invalid retractions. If they're not reported, Ebay doesn't notice (though I really wish they would change that).

Op, I would be on the phone with ebay's trust and safety department before you pay. Atleast make them aware of the situation.

If you don't pay then the feedback won't stick. On the other hand you would obviously be paying way more than you should for the item. It's pretty much up to you as to how you want to handle it. I hate NPB, but this is definitely an exception to the rule. If it's your first time Ebay would more than likely remove the strike if asked.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

Wow, this guy is a horrible shiller. He didn't even try to hide it. His shill account has bid on every single item he is selling that has a bid. Just wow...
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Probably shouldn't have but this crap pisses me off so I couldn't help it. Sent the ahole a message.

Dear jtsorrow,

If you are going to be a POS and shill you may want to be less obvious. I hope EBAY shuts you down. For the record, I haven't bid or won one of your auctions but the word is getting around. I would probably expect to be contacted by EBAY shortly.-

jmscoggin
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
Multiple bids were made. Only the highest was retracted.
Thanks for the insight, but you missed my point. All of the shillers bids should be retracted, since it's obvious he didn't want the card in the first place. If he retracts one bid, all of his bids should be retracted. The only reason this card went for $30 is because the shiller big on his own item.

Sans shilling, this card would have gone to the OP for $13. And I am sorry, but lame duck responses with regard to shilling that include, "Well, set your max bid, and if it didn't go over, then what is there to complain about," is ridiculous to me. Sure, the card went for what the seller was willing to pay, but he shouldn't have had to pay THAT much for a card if he didn't have to.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Probably shouldn't have but this crap pisses me off so I couldn't help it. Sent the ahole a message.

Dear jtsorrow,

If you are going to be a POS and shill you may want to be less obvious. I hope EBAY shuts you down. For the record, I haven't bid or won one of your auctions but the word is getting around. I would probably expect to be contacted by EBAY shortly.-

jmscoggin
Looks like the seller took down a couple of auctions that had shilling going on and just re-listed them. Maybe you got to him a little jmscoggin!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the insight, but you missed my point. All of the shillers bids should be retracted, since it's obvious he didn't want the card in the first place. If he retracts one bid, all of his bids should be retracted. The only reason this card went for $30 is because the shiller big on his own item.

Sans shilling, this card would have gone to the OP for $13. And I am sorry, but lame duck responses with regard to shilling that include, "Well, set your max bid, and if it didn't go over, then what is there to complain about," is ridiculous to me. Sure, the card went for what the seller was willing to pay, but he shouldn't have had to pay THAT much for a card if he didn't have to.
I read it wrong the first time. Thought you were asking why rather than stating it should be that way. In that case I agree completely.

The argument could be made that if the shiller hadn't bid then maybe someone else would have, thus raising the price above $13. But if it were me I definitely wouldn't be happy about paying the $30.

I most certainly don't agree with the "well you were willing to pay it, so what's the big deal" attitude. It's the same as theft plain and simple. Just because I was willing doesn't mean I should have to.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

This guy couldn't be more obvious. Most of the cards he has up right now - sold before, and recently...

1 example:

Sold October 31st.
Lot of Mike Trout RC Baseball Cards Blue Auto Bowman Topps Finest Obak Her | eBay

Went live about an hour ago:
Lot of Mike Trout RC Baseball Cards Blue Auto Bowman Topps Finest Obak Her | eBay
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

My favorite recent shilling incident ended with the shill bidder winning. The guy wasn't smart enough to wait a few days, then offer a 2nd chance offer, I got it within minutes of the auction ending.

I had put in a max bid of $35, which I was happy to pay if the auction was legit, but I knew it wasn't. If it wasn't shilled, I would have won for $20. I replied and told the seller I would take it, but would only be willing to pay $20. He counted with $25 and I took it.

The only reason I negotiated with the douche was b/c it was a 1/1.

It really is amazing how often this happens. You would think it would be a lot easier for eBay to pick up on this. I feel like there should be a zero tolerance policy on this with a minimum of "months" suspended or something like that.

Check out my group breaks!
speedmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote