Blowout Cards Forums
Top Shelf

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Does ebay help our hobby?
Yes 184 73.90%
No 65 26.10%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #51 (permalink)

I wanted to bump this conversation to the top. The poll is awesome with its results.

CONSTANTLY BUYING LARGE COLLECTIONS - LMK !!!
LegSpoLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #52 (permalink)

I voted no but I also could vote yes. I have been collecting since 1980. I was a fairly large dealer/retailer for about 10 years in my area in late 80's-the mid 90's pre internet before getting my "real job". Had the internet been around then like today I am confident I would have built this hobby into a very large retail/mailorder business but it simply did not exist. Ebay helps me today as collector to grow my collection and complete sets or obtain items I never thought I could obtain by creating the largest "online card show" I could ever desire. On the other hand as a seller it has driven prices down on some very rare items that now sell for only a fraction of their value due to the internet allowing what was once considered rare and only seen occasionally for sale in SCD (sports collectors digest) or a big auction and allowing multiple items to be found of even the rarest items. Just like when I was doing shows weekly on top of runnin a shop prices on ebay fluctuate like stocks with market news. Only now in the digital age prices change even faster. Help or hinder I can make a case for either direction but reality is it is here to stay.
gsxr1000mxz800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Absolutely it helps collectors. It does not, however, help dealers and card shops who used to be able to get away with charging more than market value simply due to lack of other buying options.
What? Market value is what someone will pay for something. It usually is based on supply and demand and demand in this market is driven by availability and athlete performance. Ebay has flooded the market with availability of limited items. A person can charge whatever they want just like you will only pay whatever you want and if it does not sell for that price you are not going to own it.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

All I know is I have made so much more money off eBay compared to messages boards
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
All I know is I have made so much more money off eBay compared to messages boards
I remember spending $45 for 2 tables at a show and averaging $1500 in sales in the early 90's. But I carried alot of product and took credit cards long before most others did. I miss selling at shows but having a steady paycheck with benefits took me out of this hobby/career.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #56 (permalink)

Ebay obviously is negative in some aspects but for anyone to say that it was bad for the hobby is crazy!

It completely opened up the card market and you have access to millions of cards by typing a name into the search engine.

Dealers have another way to make money and have their cards seen as well. Of course there are fees and what not but obviously there's going to be fees and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than having someone else sell your cards such as a LCS!

It is awful frustrating to have people pull the "ebay card" but at the end of the day the ebay average does show what a fair market price is for your card. If the card is selling for $5 on ebay and you have it prices at $18 you probably shouldn't be getting pissed at the kid and should be checking your prices. Obviously there are exceptions to this but in my opinion ebay helped the card world immensely!
King23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #57 (permalink)

Thought I would throw this back up.... This is a great topic!!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #58 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Card shops make a good chunk of their profit selling supplies and wax. It blows my mind how much money people waste buying packs and blaster boxes at walmart.

Ultra-Pro, which i believe is the leader in hobby supply sales, doesn't sell directly to the public. We will ALWAYS need cases, sleeves, binders and pages for the cards we buy. Also, we aren't able to buy hobby boxes directly from card companies.

There is also the "gotta have it now!" aspect to card collecting. People don't always want to wait 5 days to open a wax box. And the shops that cater to a diverse hobby market, offering Magic cards and multi-sport cards, make a good profit off that stuff.

Lastly, hobby shops really need to focus on customer care. The owner of my LCS is basically the fat ponytail dude from the Simpsons. While he offers fair prices and is honest, he has no freaking idea how to relate to people. When small businesses take care of their patrons, sales improve.

To the OP, Ebay, despite the pitfalls and troubleshooting, is fantastic.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Depends which side you're looking at it from. If you want access to cards you'll likely never see at a show then Ebay is the place to be.

I've never bought cases of cards to rip and flip. Personally it makes no sense to spend $1000 (or significantly more) on multiple cases that may or may not yield enough to make a profit.

Just buy gold instead.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #60 (permalink)

First of all, great topic!

The hobby needs to have more discussions of topics like this...

From my perspective, Ebay has both helped and hurt the hobby. I'm 43 year-old collector, and have been around long enough to see both sides of the coin.

On the one hand, Ebay has helped the hobby by making it easier for buyers to find the cards they are looking for. As a set collector, I can say with complete certainty that 95% of my sets I would never have been able to complete without Ebay.

On the other hand, it has make actual high-quality card shows an endangered species pretty much everywhere in the country outside of the Northeast, since dealers/store owners no longer see the benefit of lugging their inventory around when they can simply sell it on Ebay. And that's a shame, since many of the most pleasurable days of my childhood were spent at browsing at card shows. Where I live (Seattle), there hasn't been a decent card show in at least ten years, if not longer.

Ebay has also helped individual collectors by giving them a way to sell cards for a fair price, something which was very difficult to do pre-Ebay. Back then, your only choices were to sell to dealers (either at a show or to your LCS) for 20-30% of fair value, or essentially become a dealer yourself by setting up at a show. So to the extent Ebay has injected liquidity into the hobby by making it easier to buy and sell, it has been very helpful to the hobby. I would only have spent probably 25% of what I currently spend had I not been able to also sell cards I no longer want to fund my purchases.

The main people who Ebay has hurt are people who relied on a lack of price transperancy to overprice their cards. Now that it's easier to find out what cards actually sell for, it's a lot harder to get away with overpricing cards.

Lastly, I would note that Ebay has changed the hobby tremendously (in a way that is neither good nor bad), but creating a marketplace for low-numbered inserts and parallels, and therefore products which are almost solely composed of inserts and parallels. Although inserts existed prior to Ebay, they were not the focus of products, and numbered highly in order to enable collectors to complete the sets (for example, Upper Deck's pioneering HOF auto inserts of the early 90's were numbered to 2500). Back then, if companies had tried to issue low-numbered inserts/parallels they would have been a flop, because it would have been impossible to complete the sets. Nowadays, the focus of many products is the low-numbered inserts/parallels, and the base set is an afterthought. Even "base" products like Topps Baseball/Football have huge numbers of insert/parallel sets. And I haven't even mentioned the introduction of SP's and SSP's into sets, something which would never have been possible without the invention of Ebay.

So overall, I think that although it has had both a positive and a negative impact in different ways, EBay has been a net positive for the hobby.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #61 (permalink)

Actually produces a market value, so helping.
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #62 (permalink)

If not for ebay as well as some of the trades site where people actually do get lots of trades done set building would be very difficult for the parallel type sets. Since cities like Houston where I live have only a handful of shops anymore ebay is one of the resources to go to find those missing cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegSpoLim View Post
I am constantly in the conversation at shows and at card shops and I always hear - "well I can get it on ebay for this". It "irks" me when a kid comes up to me at a show and starts to try to get me to lower my price on 2012 Rc Autos (of anyone you name it) by saying well on ebay this auction just closed for $5.00 free shipping and you are asking $18.00. Can you sell it to me for $5.00?

What do you think about this? This topic has got to have been opened up on here in some thread but I wanted to just see as of today - what do you think?

Is ebay helping or hurting us in this hobby? From a dealer perspective?

Last edited by togaman; 12-20-2012 at 01:44 AM.
togaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #63 (permalink)

If not for eBeasy..I wouldn't be able to sell anything right now..I love it (even with their crazy fees)
Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #64 (permalink)

It helps the collectors for sure. Instead of going to a show and paying a jacked up price for a card just get it cheaper on eBay. It also helps collectors find the rare pieces they are looking for. Unfortunately it has changed the "hobby". Why go to shows when you can just pick up whatever card you want within a week usually. For people who make it a business it is very hard to make anything. People see it sell for $100 on eBay so they want $100. They aren't thinking the time and fees involved. If I sells for $100 on eBay and I am not attached to it, I have no problem selling for $75. It has killed card shops. When I was younger there were several in my area. Now there are 3 within 30 miles.
BoJackCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
If not for eBeasy..I wouldn't be able to sell anything right now..I love it (even with their crazy fees)
+8377236281328
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #66 (permalink)

Exactly....before Ebay, collectors had no way to sell their cards for anything remotely resembling fair value since dealers/store owners would only pay 20-30% of book.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #67 (permalink)

For me I only had my local shop (LCS) and the prices were whatever he wanted to sell stuff for. I had to travel 15 miles to the next shop if I wanted to price compare. I miss the "Ball of Fame" in St Clairsville, Ohio for the memories, but heck if I new if he was reasonably priced and at 14 I didn't really care that much then.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #68 (permalink)

eBay in actuality is keeping this hobby alive...