Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASEBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/)
-   -   Why do people bid/buy on redeemed redemptions? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/392070-why-do-people-bid-buy-redeemed-redemptions.html)

Flkrsn5 11-01-2012 08:17 PM

Why do people bid/buy on redeemed redemptions?

I'm guessing either A) They don't read the entire listing or B) They just really don't read the listing. Do people really collect this crap? I mean, I saved a Machado redemption that I redeemed, but I would NEVER pay $70+ for ANY player's redemption card. Is that just me? What do you all think? Please help me with understanding this haha...

sthoemke 11-01-2012 08:21 PM

I 've thought it would be cool to get a 1/1 redeemed redemption card and then get it signed.

BaseballCardFTW 11-01-2012 08:21 PM

I wonder the same thing haha!

MikeWilliamsFan 11-01-2012 08:25 PM

:)Just to say you have a mike trout and Bryce Harper auto to your friends and make them jealous

MikeWilliamsFan 11-01-2012 08:26 PM

But I would never pay that much either, a complete waste of money

Flkrsn5 11-01-2012 08:29 PM

Someone just did for a Trout haha $78 and some change...REDEEMED!!! :eek: As a seller that just seems like a headache...person gets card thinking it's redeemable, wants refund, etc., etc...NO THANK YOU!!!

centereacan06 11-01-2012 08:42 PM

You know what happens when you assume....

Tugarpj 11-01-2012 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=Flkrsn5;3576034]I'm guessing either A) They don't read the entire listing or B) They just really don't read the listing. Do people really collect this crap? I mean, I saved a Machado redemption that I redeemed, but I would NEVER pay $70+ for ANY player's redemption card. Is that just me? What do you all think? Please help me with understanding this haha...[/QUOTE]

Or C. Mental Retardation

Quigley24 11-01-2012 09:20 PM

It would be cool to have one if the card was extremely rare or high value, but I can't justify people paying so much for them

messier2 11-01-2012 09:23 PM

I remember starting a thread on this but since this is the latest one, I'll put my theory here:

People buy them (especially high end ones like Harper autos), then partially scratch off the already visible code and send it to topps saying that they scratched "too hard" and could not redeem the code online since they can't identify the characters. Then boom...Harper auto for cheap!

Anyone else think that this could be what people are doing with them?

Verufian 11-01-2012 09:34 PM

^^^^^ This

Flkrsn5 11-01-2012 09:34 PM

I would imagine Topps knows when it has already been redeemed and sent out...am I wrong at thinking this? When the redemption is bought and they try to tell Topps that, Topps can tell them to shove it it's already been shipped out. If Topps doesn't keep track of these things they MUST be idiots!

RedSoxFan28 11-01-2012 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=Flkrsn5;3576525]I would imagine Topps knows when it has already been redeemed and sent out...am I wrong at thinking this? When the redemption is bought and they try to tell Topps that, Topps can tell them to shove it it's already been shipped out. If Topps doesn't keep track of these things they MUST be idiots![/QUOTE]

I think they were saying to basically remove the code completely from the card so there is no way Topps to track the code, so they wouldn't know if it had already been redeemed or not.

Flkrsn5 11-01-2012 10:10 PM

Gotcha...just saw the partially part of his comment. I guess that could be the case...unless it's a 1/1 haha

711 Cards 11-01-2012 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=messier2;3576456]I remember starting a thread on this but since this is the latest one, I'll put my theory here:

People buy them (especially high end ones like Harper autos), then partially scratch off the already visible code and send it to topps saying that they scratched "too hard" and could not redeem the code online since they can't identify the characters. Then boom...Harper auto for cheap!

Anyone else think that this could be what people are doing with them?[/QUOTE]

I have 3, want to buy them?

messier2 11-01-2012 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=711 Cards;3576808]I have 3, want to buy them?[/QUOTE]

Nah, I'll let all the others have the fun! :flex:

JoshHamilton 11-01-2012 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=Tugarpj;3576189]Or C. Mental Retardation[/QUOTE]

Don't insult Ann Coulter like that

RemyX266 11-01-2012 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=messier2;3576456]I remember starting a thread on this but since this is the latest one, I'll put my theory here:

Anyone else think that this could be what people are doing with them?[/QUOTE]

If anyone tried this I am 100% confident Topps would never honor the redemption. I am sure they would easily figure this "trick" out.

I have 2 theories on people buying "redeemed" codes:
1) Someone wants the redemption to go with the card they already have as a set.
2) The buyer has the intelligence of an ice cube, in other words they are simply stupid.

Flkrsn5 11-01-2012 11:18 PM

I'm really thinking #2 Remy...I could see #1 if it weren't $78+ maybe $10 tops!

saraceno21 11-02-2012 07:56 AM

There are player collectors out there who want every card of a player and a redemption card of a player, although not a "traditional" card, is still a card of a player they may collect, redeemed or not. Some redemption cards are extremely rare.

refuse24 11-02-2012 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=saraceno21;3577841]There are player collectors out there who want every card of a player and a redemption card of a player, although not a "traditional" card, is still a card of a player they may collect, redeemed or not. Some redemption cards are extremely rare.[/QUOTE]They must have rocks in there head then :).

My lord you don't need everything of a player because if that is the case I wonder if they need a signed Jockstrap 1/1.

messier2 11-02-2012 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=refuse24;3577891]They must have rocks in there head then :).

My lord you don't need everything of a player because if that is the case I wonder if they need a signed Jockstrap 1/1.[/QUOTE]

I mean I get it a little that player collectors may want these cards but not at prices they are selling for. Maybe a few dollars is not too bad for a redeemed redemption but anything more than that is way too much.

JzWand 11-02-2012 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=saraceno21;3577841]There are player collectors out there who want every card of a player and a redemption card of a player, although not a "traditional" card, is still a card of a player they may collect, redeemed or not. Some redemption cards are extremely rare.[/QUOTE]

This.
Sold a used redemption of a UFC auto for $28 a couple of years ago.
I was shocked that there was a minor bidding war at the end.
Before I sent the invoice to the buyer, I sent a message asking if they understood what they were getting (I put redeemed in the title and multiple times in the description).
They understood and it was a legit and valid bid.

I definitely dont try and scam people the odd time I do sell a used redemption.
I mention it has been redeemed multiple times throughout the listing.
But if I can recoup even $5 or $10 towards a card, and at the same time fill someone elses collecting goals, I dont see an issue.

coltsnsox07 11-05-2012 08:28 PM

Someone just paid $179 for a Bowman Chrome Orange Harper redeemed card, I just read a thread on how people are having trouble accidentally scratching off parts of the code, I bet that's why someone paid that much, bad intentions...

azviking101 11-06-2012 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=coltsnsox07;3595243]Someone just paid $179 for a Bowman Chrome Orange Harper redeemed card, I just read a thread on how people are having trouble accidentally scratching off parts of the code, I bet that's why someone paid that much, bad intentions...[/QUOTE]

Must be stupid. They probably don't know what the word redeemed means and thought they were getting a good deal.

I bid on a Mike Trout one once that didn't have redeemed in the title. (Sometimes I bid without thinking :o ) I sent the guy a quick message and he took my bid off.