Blowout Cards Forums
MEM MADNESS

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did anyone else like Upper Deck?

They were my favorite card manufacturer in the 90's, and I still dig their card designs up until they got forced out in 2009. I hope they survive long enough to be able to make another bid for MLB when the Topps exclusive license comes up for renewal (anyone know when that is???). The last few years Topps has finally caught up to the innovations that Upper Deck started, but I still miss them.

I don't collect hockey because I don't follow the sport, but honestly I might start just because I dig the cards so much.

PCing Clay Buchholz, Ken Griffey Jr. and Bo Jackson
TheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Definitely miss some of the products that UD released. I think the best was 2001 UD Rookie Update where you could pull the Pujols SPx autos and rookies of Ichiro, Teix, Mark Prior, etc. Good ol days...
ichirorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

So what exactly happened to upper deck??? I collected starting into mid 90's up until early 2000's when I joined the army. Started collecting again a couple years ago when I got out and had time. Anyway UD was a major player back in the day and I did love their card designs.
Big_Pete1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Fraud is what killed them
bowefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete1000 View Post
So what exactly happened to upper deck??? I collected starting into mid 90's up until early 2000's when I joined the army. Started collecting again a couple years ago when I got out and had time. Anyway UD was a major player back in the day and I did love their card designs.
To be more accurate:

"On August 6, 2009, Major League Baseball announced it entered into a multi-year deal with Topps giving it exclusive rights to produce MLB trading cards. Upper Deck would retain its rights to produce cards bearing player likenesses via its contract with the MLBPA but will be unable to use team logos or other trademarked images. On February 1, 2010, Major League Baseball filed a federal lawsuit against Upper Deck for trademark infringement. A mutual settlement was announced on March 3, 2010, stating that Upper Deck could continue selling its three current baseball card series (2009 Signature Stars, 2009 Ultimate Collection and 2010 Upper Deck Series One), although they are prohibited from using any MLB trademarks (including team logos and names) in any of their future baseball products. Despite this limitation, Upper Deck commented that they would still continue to produce baseball-related cards without the use of those trademarks."

That's how they lost MLB. Dunno how they lost the NFL....

Last edited by TheNerd; 11-02-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added more accurate info
Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ah, here's how they f'ed up with the NFL:

"On April 7, 2010, Upper Deck announced it would no longer be licensed to produce NFL trading cards. Upper Deck spokesperson Terry Melia noted on his Twitter account that, "UD was unable to come to terms with NFL Properties. No NFL Properties-licensed football cards from UD in 2010." Upper Deck owner Richard McWilliam said, "Over the past year, Upper Deck has attempted to negotiate a new licensing deal with NFL Properties. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we were not able to reach agreeable terms, and therefore will not be issuing any NFL Properties-licensed trading cards for the 2010 season. Upper Deck will continue to focus on its exclusive license agreement with the Collegiate Licensing Company and co-exclusive agreements with NHL Enterprises and the NHL Players Association, as well as its multiple entertainment licenses.”[20]"

Apparently it still hasn't gotten the rights back... Jesus they went wrong fast. What a bummer, cuz Panini sucks ass.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Loved Upper Deck, thought they came out with way more innovative stuff. Wish there was some competition in the market.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I miss them. Too bad they screwed up their own company with fraud and were boxed out by Topps. I always thought Upper Deck had nice cards - and monopolies suck.
zeeropointzeero is offline   Reply With Quote