Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay's Redesign

What do you guy's think? They are using Bootstrap (a CSS framework developed by the Twitter folks) now, the same design framework I use for all of my design/development work, which at least means that they are standardized, responsive and fit on tablets/phones better.

I'd expect a few kinks in this though. So far it looks great in Chrome and FF - I refuse to open IE on my machines, so I have no idea how it works there. Bootstrap is supposed to degrade gracefully for crappy browsers such as IE 7 & 8, but I bet there's some things that won't display well.

Has this affected anyone's card selling/buying yet?

PCing Clay Buchholz, Ken Griffey Jr. and Bo Jackson
TheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

It is sort of difficult, every time to get to the completed listings. Before you just find the button on the left side, and now, you have to click aound to even find it, then check the box and whatever... Too much more work each and every time.
ttmtrader101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmtrader101 View Post
It is sort of difficult, every time to get to the completed listings. Before you just find the button on the left side, and now, you have to click aound to even find it, then check the box and whatever... Too much more work each and every time.
Its actually much easier than that. When the results show up, look under the search bar, there are 2 links there, one of them says "Completed Listings". All you do is click that and it takes you right to the completed listings without doing the 4 clicks.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm running an out-of-date Mac (10.5.8) and have noticed a few bugs with buttons and text. Nothing major that couldn't be handled with a reboot and definitely not enough to detract from the overall pleasantly clean feel. I really should update this compy, though...

Always looking for Galaxy and soccer autos & patches!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

The redesign is fine and fits in with their strategy to move even further away from the "mom and pop" operation they had when they launched, but deprecating wildcard searches is terrible. They claim their new search engine will find variations in spellings, but it won't work as well as wildcard searches did (and it means more work for me with my stuff that uses their API w/ wildcards).
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's ugly .

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/teosdesserts/
teosdesserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

I don't mind it at all
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I actually love it. I rebooted yesterday and since I did that it reverted back to the old format?? Anyone know why this happened and how to get the new format again?
crazycards1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycards1981 View Post
I actually love it. I rebooted yesterday and since I did that it reverted back to the old format?? Anyone know why this happened and how to get the new format again?
Because your browser pulls from its cache first until the page date is set to expire. The page expired but the browser cache didn't update. Clear your cache, or hold down control and hit F5 when you visit the page. This keyboard short cut is a command that forcefully asks the server for the current copy of the page regardless of what the browser has in its cache AND updates the cached copy. This command works in IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome. I don't use Safari, so I am not sure whether or not it works there.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The redesign is fine and fits in with their strategy to move even further away from the "mom and pop" operation they had when they launched, but deprecating wildcard searches is terrible. They claim their new search engine will find variations in spellings, but it won't work as well as wildcard searches did (and it means more work for me with my stuff that uses their API w/ wildcards).
yeah I don't like the semantic search engine either. It just doesn't work as well as wildcards. I was looking for 2008 Upper Deck yesterday, and it found nothing. So I tried 2008 Upper Deck Gold... and it found several matches. Logic says it should have at least found the same amount with the first search, since its a subset of the second. *sigh*

Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNerd View Post
Because your browser pulls from its cache first until the page date is set to expire. The page expired but the browser cache didn't update. Clear your cache, or hold down control and hit F5 when you visit the page. This keyboard short cut is a command that forcefully asks the server for the current copy of the page regardless of what the browser has in its cache AND updates the cached copy. This command works in IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome. I don't use Safari, so I am not sure whether or not it works there.
Thank you! Very helpful.
crazycards1981 is offline   Reply With Quote