Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Im very interested in knowing who won this bid now! It isnt the Cubs or Rangers, Whom many thought were the only 2 teams involved.
Gutierrez is not awful. What is the risk for a former 1st round pick?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsWS View Post
Gutierrez is not awful. What is the risk for a former 1st round pick?
His stats at the minor league level scare me, and I just feel like we have to start getting guys that can actually play this year, because at this rate its going to be like watching a minor league team out there.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Cubs sign Scott Baker to one-year deal. There's one of the TBD starting pitchers.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felz View Post
Cubs sign Scott Baker to one-year deal. There's one of the TBD starting pitchers.
Cool!! Hes a solid pitcher! Nice pick up there!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #30 (permalink)

3:03pm: The deal is worth $1.75MM, reports CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman (on Twitter).

2:21pm: The Cubs have signed catcher Dioner Navarro according to his representatives at MDR Sports Management (on Twitter). Terms of the deal are unknown.

Navarro, 28, hit .290/.306/.449 with two homers in 73 plate appearances for the Reds this year. He also hit .319/.382/.449 in 240 Triple-A plate appearances before being recalled. Cincinnati had some interest in re-signing Navarro, who did not crack Tim Dierkes' Top 50 Free Agents List.

I think he may start over Castillo, But I dont know.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #31 (permalink)

Navarro v.s. Castillo will be an interesting battle
Illini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini99 View Post
Navarro v.s. Castillo will be an interesting battle
Yep, and we need all the interesting we can get, because from the looks of it, this is going to be another rough deal. Honestly, Id like to see us pull off some sort of shocker Deal for Upton, But one that dosent Involve trading castro. Maybe Baez, IDK, but something needs to happen around here.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #33 (permalink)

Navarro will be the back up. Seems like Castillo starts with Navarro backup and Clev gone.

Nothing major will happen. Theo said we will look at the high price pitching but its a waste if we don't get anything else. Be ready for a 70 win season boys.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Navarro will be the back up. Seems like Castillo starts with Navarro backup and Clev gone.

Nothing major will happen. Theo said we will look at the high price pitching but its a waste if we don't get anything else. Be ready for a 70 win season boys.
Yep. He needs to realize that we didnt have a terrible time getting guys on base, we had issues driving them in. We need an RBI Guy, but its almost like theo is oblivious to The issues. He will get the T in his name capitalized when he does something.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:

Clevenger should go to AAA.

No need to trade for Upton at this point either (increasingly expensive salary in the outfield where the Cubs have depth).
Cubsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan4life View Post
Clevenger should go to AAA.

No need to trade for Upton at this point either (increasingly expensive salary in the outfield where the Cubs have depth).
We do not have outfield depth. With Lahair and Soriano on the Likely on the Block, that leaves Dejesus, and Brett "Strikeout" Jackson(Almora and Soler are both 3-4 years away from Major league Ready). We Could use a Big Bat Thats also Young like Upton. Hes Exactly what theo wants, and to be honest if the D backs asking price was a little lower(Right now they want a starting Caliber SS) I think we would be in heavy talks with them. But Trading Castro or Baez Right now is virtually not an option.

Last edited by MarshallCutler6; 11-16-2012 at 08:38 AM.
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
We do not have outfield depth. With Lahair and Soriano on the Likely on the Block, that leaves Dejesus, and Brett "Strikeout" Jackson(Almora and Soler are both 3-4 years away from Major league Ready). We Could use a Big Bat Thats also Young like Upton. Hes Exactly what theo wants, and to be honest if the D backs asking price was a little lower(Right now they want a starting Caliber SS) I think we would be in heavy talks with them. But Trading Castro or Baez Right now is virtually not an option.
Ya they don't have much depth in the majors, but they aren't concerned with winning right now. Jackson might not be great, but he could be an average outfielder. The Cubs have a lot of talent in the lower minors and not everyone can stay at their current positions. You could see guys like Lake or Candelario move to the outfield. You don't have to solve all your holes at once; this is a gradual rebuild. There are also several big free agent outfielders every year. Replacing a shortstop is much more difficult. Also Upton is older, is set to make 9.75 million next year and 14+ million in 2014 and 2015 , and only had a 2.5 WAR last year (compared to Castro's 3.3). Upton would help this team, but there is very little chance they get him.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I am 100% fine with trading Castro for Upton, or virtually any other AA level talent for that matter. I really don't like Castro as a player, and the "oh but he's only x years old" excuse doesn't hold a lot of water any more. He's played the equivalent of 4+ seasons of professional baseball, and he still sulks when he doesn't do well. I don't think that Soriano is a good influence on him, despite what the Cubs are trying to sell the fan base. A leopard doesn't change its spots, as the saying goes. I'm perfectly happy shipping Castro and his 100 off balance bloop singles to get an incredibly high ceiling RF who has already displayed MVP level talent. They don't have a chance in hell of competing this year anyway, so I'd like to see them move one of their better pieces to acquire a guy who might be down for signing an extension if he likes what the city has to offer. Upton seems like the ultimate change of scenery guy right now, and I think that Castro would be a small price to pay for a legitimate middle of the lineup threat that could be signed to a shorter term deal to establish his value for his "cash-in" contract.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peafour View Post
I am 100% fine with trading Castro for Upton, or virtually any other AA level talent for that matter. I really don't like Castro as a player, and the "oh but he's only x years old" excuse doesn't hold a lot of water any more. He's played the equivalent of 4+ seasons of professional baseball, and he still sulks when he doesn't do well. I don't think that Soriano is a good influence on him, despite what the Cubs are trying to sell the fan base. A leopard doesn't change its spots, as the saying goes. I'm perfectly happy shipping Castro and his 100 off balance bloop singles to get an incredibly high ceiling RF who has already displayed MVP level talent. They don't have a chance in hell of competing this year anyway, so I'd like to see them move one of their better pieces to acquire a guy who might be down for signing an extension if he likes what the city has to offer. Upton seems like the ultimate change of scenery guy right now, and I think that Castro would be a small price to pay for a legitimate middle of the lineup threat that could be signed to a shorter term deal to establish his value for his "cash-in" contract.
Sulks? So you want him to be happy if he is doing poorly? On the field, Soriano is a great influence on him. He is always the first one to the ballpark, and they take BP together. Upton is already signed the next 3 years, for a ton of money, so an extension is unneccesary at this point. He has already cashed in (owed 38 million over the next 3 years), so he doesn't need to establish any value. If you want to talk ceilings, they both have very high ceilings, but you have presented no logical argument why it is worth trading Castro for Upton.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan4life View Post
Sulks? So you want him to be happy if he is doing poorly? On the field, Soriano is a great influence on him. He is always the first one to the ballpark, and they take BP together. Upton is already signed the next 3 years, for a ton of money, so an extension is unneccesary at this point. He has already cashed in (owed 38 million over the next 3 years), so he doesn't need to establish any value. If you want to talk ceilings, they both have very high ceilings, but you have presented no logical argument why it is worth trading Castro for Upton.
I don't expect him to be walking around with a grin on his face if he's not doing well, but by definition he's not going to do well between 65% and 70% of the time. He doesn't do well with failure, and failure is a major part of the game. Upton is signed through 27 (not for a ton of money, as a percentage of the Cubs payroll), add another year or two and he'll be at the age when guys have been signing $100+ million deals. That's the kind of extension I'm talking about, after 2014 if he likes Chicago and Jed likes him. Establishing a track record of excellence for 3-5 years would do wonders towards dispelling doubts about him that have persisted early in his career. The money doesn't concern me as I'm also assuming any deal the Cubs would do would require money to come from the other team due to Castro's friendly contract.

Take this point with a grain of salt as it is purely speculation on my part: Castro's value is also largely tied to being a shortstop. If he has to move to accommodate Javier Baez, which might be in the cards if Baez keeps developing the way he has been, he goes from being a good hitting shortstop to a mediocre hitting 3B or LF. Plus, who's to say that he doesn't react the same way his mentor did and sandbag it (or flat out refuse to play) at another position? I like to think about worst case scenarios, and that's the worst case for Castro. Well, that or his eye sight goes and those off-balance bat flick singles turn into grounders to 1B.

For me, there's fewer questions surrounding Upton, who has demonstrated sustained excellence over the course of a season. He's been a bit more up and down from season to season than I'd like, I'll admit. I think a 2015 lineup with Upton, Baez, Soler, and Rizzo in it is pretty sweet. If Brett Jackson can figure out his bat, that's just so much the better. They're not supposed to be in a position to compete for another few years, and I think that Upton would put them in a better position to compete than Castro would.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peafour View Post
I don't expect him to be walking around with a grin on his face if he's not doing well, but by definition he's not going to do well between 65% and 70% of the time. He doesn't do well with failure, and failure is a major part of the game. Upton is signed through 27 (not for a ton of money, as a percentage of the Cubs payroll), add another year or two and he'll be at the age when guys have been signing $100+ million deals. That's the kind of extension I'm talking about, after 2014 if he likes Chicago and Jed likes him. Establishing a track record of excellence for 3-5 years would do wonders towards dispelling doubts about him that have persisted early in his career. The money doesn't concern me as I'm also assuming any deal the Cubs would do would require money to come from the other team due to Castro's friendly contract.

Take this point with a grain of salt as it is purely speculation on my part: Castro's value is also largely tied to being a shortstop. If he has to move to accommodate Javier Baez, which might be in the cards if Baez keeps developing the way he has been, he goes from being a good hitting shortstop to a mediocre hitting 3B or LF. Plus, who's to say that he doesn't react the same way his mentor did and sandbag it (or flat out refuse to play) at another position? I like to think about worst case scenarios, and that's the worst case for Castro. Well, that or his eye sight goes and those off-balance bat flick singles turn into grounders to 1B.

For me, there's fewer questions surrounding Upton, who has demonstrated sustained excellence over the course of a season. He's been a bit more up and down from season to season than I'd like, I'll admit. I think a 2015 lineup with Upton, Baez, Soler, and Rizzo in it is pretty sweet. If Brett Jackson can figure out his bat, that's just so much the better. They're not supposed to be in a position to compete for another few years, and I think that Upton would put them in a better position to compete than Castro would.
Who are you to say he doesn't do well with failure, but Upton does? When have you ever seen a deal where they add two years to a contract? Why would Upton ever do this; it makes no sense? Scouts have stated Castro is superior to Baez at shortstop and a proven commidity. Baez may also outgrow the position and move to third. There are no guarantees, Baez has performed well, but still has a long way to go. Why would Castro move to left field? Did you watch any Cubs games this year? Soriano put in the time and improved his defense extensively. Even if Upton puts you in a better position to compete, you can go out into free agency and sign a player like Upton for the same amount you are going to be paying him in 2015-2016. Castro's contract is cheaper and allows the Cubs to spend money elsewhere. You have to consider having Castro and 8-9 million to spend on another player or Upton. Upton will get exponentially more expensive, while Castro is controlled for 7 years under a pretty team friendly deal.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #42 (permalink)

Castro Will never be forced to move. He is the Franchise player, and upton is well known for his laziness. In terms of numbers Castro is the Youngest ever to 200 hits. he is a 2X all star, Honestly Peafour, Castro is miles Better than Upton and Baez.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #43 (permalink)

Cubsfan, you seem to think I'm comparing Castro to Upton in all things. I'm not, I'm expressing what I don't like about Castro. Offhand, I believe the remainder of Lincecums deal was an extension that bought out his last arb year and first FA year? I could be wrong about that though. I think with the right inducements anything is possible, and there are more inducements than money. I watched probably half the games on tv, listened to a third, and went to a half dozen more (its hard to go with a baby at home, lol). It was awesome watching Soriano catch most of the balls hit to within 20 feet laterally or in front of him. He's an adequate defender now, after seven years and range-debilitating knees. I'm not sure what his defense has to do with this, as he'll be long gone by the time the cubs are competing again. Personally, I thought they signed him to that team friendly contract to lure another team into giving up a couple 90% MLB ready prospects, but we'll see. I think that before long, the last vestiges of Hendrys farm system will be replaced.

MarshallCutler, we'll see. Never say never.

Bottom line, we're all entitled to our opinions, as contrary as they may be.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #44 (permalink)

SO Danny Valencia Just got DFA'd, I think the Cubs should definetly be in hot pursuit, hes 28 and 2 times better than anything else we have right now. Oh and we acquired Barret Loux in Exchaange for Jacob Brigham, and DFA'd Lahair.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #45 (permalink)

Cubs Acquire a few new players. Bougusevic could get the callup with Lahair gone(Soon) and Jacksin offically starting the year at AAA

Cubs Sign Brian Bogusevic

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 21 at 3:22pm CST]

The Cubs signed outfielder Brian Bogusevic to a minor league contract, Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports (on Twitter). The Cubs also signed infielder Alberto Gonzalez, right fielder Johermyn Chavez and catcher J.C. Boscan, according to Eddy.

Bogusevic, a 2005 first round pick, appeared in 146 games for the Astros in 2012. He posted a .203/.297/.299 batting line with seven home runs and nine doubles in 404 plate appearances. The left-handed hitter played all three outfield positions for Houston. Beverly Hills Sports Council represents Bogusevic.

Gonzalez appeared in 24 games with Texas in 2012, posting a .241/.241/.315 batting line while playing second base, third base and shortstop. Boscan, 32, appeared in six games for the Braves this past season. Chavez posted a .725 OPS in 288 plate appearances for the Mariners' Double-A affiliate in 2012.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #46 (permalink)

Cubs need to trade castro for a young pitcher.. Id like to see them get a danny hutzlen from sea or walker from sea

ALWAYS BUYING RENATO NUNEZ BC AUTOS
chansen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Cubs Acquire a few new players. Bougusevic could get the callup with Lahair gone(Soon) and Jacksin offically starting the year at AAA

Cubs Sign Brian Bogusevic

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 21 at 3:22pm CST]

The Cubs signed outfielder Brian Bogusevic to a minor league contract, Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports (on Twitter). The Cubs also signed infielder Alberto Gonzalez, right fielder Johermyn Chavez and catcher J.C. Boscan, according to Eddy.

Bogusevic, a 2005 first round pick, appeared in 146 games for the Astros in 2012. He posted a .203/.297/.299 batting line with seven home runs and nine doubles in 404 plate appearances. The left-handed hitter played all three outfield positions for Houston. Beverly Hills Sports Council represents Bogusevic.

Gonzalez appeared in 24 games with Texas in 2012, posting a .241/.241/.315 batting line while playing second base, third base and shortstop. Boscan, 32, appeared in six games for the Braves this past season. Chavez posted a .725 OPS in 288 plate appearances for the Mariners' Double-A affiliate in 2012.
Happy the most about this guy. Funny though once I saw Bogusevic was DFA'd a few weeks ago I called Cubs would pick him up.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Happy the most about this guy. Funny though once I saw Bogusevic was DFA'd a few weeks ago I called Cubs would pick him up.
I do like this pickup, he was pretty solid and fast plus a good fielder last year. Im really hoping we grab Valencia now, as I really dont see Stewart having a bounceback year.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansen10 View Post
Cubs need to trade castro for a young pitcher.. Id like to see them get a danny hutzlen from sea or walker from sea
Id like to get young pitching, but not for castro, I think Soriano could bring in a decent projected 3-4-5 starter if we deal him soon.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Id like to get young pitching, but not for castro, I think Soriano could bring in a decent projected 3-4-5 starter if we deal him soon.
Sorianos not worth #@#@#@#@! no id rather deal castro now for a stud young ace and some other prospects

ALWAYS BUYING RENATO NUNEZ BC AUTOS
chansen10 is offline   Reply With Quote