Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansen10 View Post
Sorianos not worth #@#@#@#@! no id rather deal castro now for a stud young ace and some other prospects
Soriano will have value to any team looking for power and run production ie. Pirates, Giants, or soon to be Rangers. he drove in over 100 and hit 30 bombs. Pitching right now isnt a huge issue we have 8 bazillion piching prospects, we need hitters. Castro is the Leader of the Team, he is a 2 time all star, he has lead the league in hits ,hit .300 once, and hes only 22, I a have no interest in trading him away, none at all.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #52 (permalink)

The Castro haters are crazy! He is exactly what teams dream of when signing foreign prospects. He's not the leader he should be but he's one hell of a player
King23dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King23dog View Post
The Castro haters are crazy! He is exactly what teams dream of when signing foreign prospects. He's not the leader he should be but he's one hell of a player
Soriano is tecnically the leader of the team no doubt, but Castro is the true leader of the future. And as for people who hate on castro, I just dont get it. Hes done more before his 23rd birthday than some 20 year vets.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #54 (permalink)

I get to go to Phoenix for business the week of March 10th so I'm hoping to catch some spring training. Lifetime Cubs fan but never been to a ST game.
cyberpvnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpvnk View Post
I get to go to Phoenix for business the week of March 10th so I'm hoping to catch some spring training. Lifetime Cubs fan but never been to a ST game.
Me neither, I go to the Cubs Convention to try and meet the players since I cant get to arizona. Id like to go to spring training at some time, Have Fun!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Soriano will have value to any team looking for power and run production ie. Pirates, Giants, or soon to be Rangers. he drove in over 100 and hit 30 bombs. Pitching right now isnt a huge issue we have 8 bazillion piching prospects, we need hitters. Castro is the Leader of the Team, he is a 2 time all star, he has lead the league in hits ,hit .300 once, and hes only 22, I a have no interest in trading him away, none at all.
Why we have baez? Soriano really doesnt have any meaningful value will get a bunch of low end prospects back and no we dont have any ELITE pitching prospects in our farm

ALWAYS BUYING RENATO NUNEZ BC AUTOS
chansen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Why we have baez? Soriano really doesnt have any meaningful value will get a bunch of low end prospects back and no we dont have any ELITE pitching prospects in our farm
Baez has never played above single A (nothing is guaranteed) and can move to 3rd base if needed.
Cubsfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
You want to take the risk of trading our best player because of a guy that has never played a AA game, nevertheless an MLB game? Thats way too big a risk. It really dosent even make sense. That would be like the Tigers trading Cabrera or Fielder Because they have a 3B or 1B in the farm. It will never happen, never. Whos to say that Hultzen will become elite? Trading a young proven player for a pitching prospect that may or may not pan out doesnt make sense either. Theres no reason to trade castro, none at all.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan4life View Post
Baez has never played above single A (nothing is guaranteed) and can move to 3rd base if needed.
Exactly, he could stink the second he gets to AA, he could get injured, He could stink when he gets to AAA, its just way too much risk to lay the future of your team on a guy whos never played above A
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #60 (permalink)

LaHair got designated for assignment, I wonder what the plan is for the OF.
Haze28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze28 View Post
LaHair got designated for assignment, I wonder what the plan is for the OF.
I really dont know. Probably Almora Soler and Jackson is the plan for the future. Dejesus is the only guy that is locked in right now for next year.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #62 (permalink)

I am not a fan of DeJesus, its probably too early for Almora and Soler and Jackson will probably end up being a utility guy imo. They should just sign Hamilton and get it over with lol.
Haze28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
You want to take the risk of trading our best player because of a guy that has never played a AA game, nevertheless an MLB game? Thats way too big a risk. It really dosent even make sense. That would be like the Tigers trading Cabrera or Fielder Because they have a 3B or 1B in the farm. It will never happen, never. Whos to say that Hultzen will become elite? Trading a young proven player for a pitching prospect that may or may not pan out doesnt make sense either. Theres no reason to trade castro, none at all.
Dont compare castro to either of those guys just yet. I love castro but he took a huge step back this year. He's horrible on defense and doesnt walk at all id rather trade him while his value is at an all time high. Where a long time away from being competitive so id love to see him moved for two top prospects. Ill roll the dice on baez i think his bad will translate over to the bigs just fine

Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Dont compare castro to either of those guys just yet. I love castro but he took a huge step back this year. He's horrible on defense and doesnt walk at all id rather trade him while his value is at an all time high. Where a long time away from being competitive so id love to see him moved for two top prospects. Ill roll the dice on baez i think his bad will translate over to the bigs just fine
I didnt say they were similar in talent, I compared them because theyre the best players on their respective teams. He didnt take a huge step back at all he hit .280 because he hit a slump. But he also foun d his power a little more and drove in 12 more runs than the year before. I will take that every day. His defense is anything but horrible. Yes he makes a bunch of errors, but half the time its because hes making plays no other SS in the league could. He is actually one of the top defenders in the league. He makes incredible catches, stops, and his arm is the best in baseball at the SS position.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
I didnt say they were similar in talent, I compared them because theyre the best players on their respective teams. He didnt take a huge step back at all he hit .280 because he hit a slump. But he also foun d his power a little more and drove in 12 more runs than the year before. I will take that every day. His defense is anything but horrible. Yes he makes a bunch of errors, but half the time its because hes making plays no other SS in the league could. He is actually one of the top defenders in the league. He makes incredible catches, stops, and his arm is the best in baseball at the SS position.
He is no where near a top defender man

Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
He is no where near a top defender man
He has improved a lot over the last couple years. Range is just as important of a defense statistic as errors. He will be a top defensive SS in a few years. Right now he is around average, which is a big improvement already from when he broke into the league.

Also why is everyone so tough on Castro?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #67 (permalink)

Im not arguing his range he has great range he's just not a great fielder 64 errors since 2010. He doesn't walk at all and his OBP is replaceable at .323. Essentially its just wasted years right now for him on the cubs we wont be competitive till 2015 2016 anyway. Id rather trade for a few young prospects (Pitchers) while he demands an absolute premium and I think Baez will be fine once he makes it to the majors currently we have no pitching in our farm system so itd be great to see us pick up an elite pitching prospect and roll the dice with that

Old 11-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #68 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Quote:
Im not arguing his range he has great range he's just not a great fielder 64 errors since 2010. He doesn't walk at all and his OBP is replaceable at .323. Essentially its just wasted years right now for him on the cubs we wont be competitive till 2015 2016 anyway. Id rather trade for a few young prospects (Pitchers) while he demands an absolute premium and I think Baez will be fine once he makes it to the majors currently we have no pitching in our farm system so itd be great to see us pick up an elite pitching prospect and roll the dice with that
I agree with this. I love Castro, hes 22, but we are not going to contend for 3-4 years and Baez is a good enough replacement for him. If not, we trade Castro for pitching and a decent position player, and were in the same boat.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #69 (permalink)

You can't say he has a great range and then say he's a poor fielder just because of errors. Just for reference Derek Jeter had 10 errors last year, but was statisically the worst defensive SS in the league among those that qualified. Castro also the only SS in the league to play every game. And how are you guys so sure on Baez? In High A and Arizona League he was having a tough time making contact, and he has had a lot of trouble with plate discipline. He also injured his thumb at the end of the season. Also why does no one ever want to trade Rizzo, but always so set on moving Castro?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #70 (permalink)

Why would you trade a proven guy?? It makes no sense. Rizzo and Castro are the two locked in players on the team, Trading either of them is crazy. Castro also lead all SS in putouts, assists, and overall range. Sounds like a solid fielder to me. People are hard on Castro because he slumped a bit, makes no sense.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Why would you trade a proven guy?? It makes no sense. Rizzo and Castro are the two locked in players on the team, Trading either of them is crazy. Castro also lead all SS in putouts, assists, and overall range. Sounds like a solid fielder to me. People are hard on Castro because he slumped a bit, makes no sense.
Ya I agree I wouldn't trade either. I'm just not sure why Castro's name always gets brought up, but not Rizzo who is older than Castro.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan4life View Post
You can't say he has a great range and then say he's a poor fielder just because of errors. Just for reference Derek Jeter had 10 errors last year, but was statisically the worst defensive SS in the league among those that qualified. Castro also the only SS in the league to play every game. And how are you guys so sure on Baez? In High A and Arizona League he was having a tough time making contact, and he has had a lot of trouble with plate discipline. He also injured his thumb at the end of the season. Also why does no one ever want to trade Rizzo, but always so set on moving Castro?
Yes i can say he has great range but that doesn't necessarily make up for all his errors. People don't want to move rizzo because it makes ZERO sense. People want to move castro because first his value is at an all time high, second we need PITCHING DESPERATELY, third we have baez who many think can replace him and fourth he's replaceable if the price is right. Im not saying you just trade castro for mid tier prospects. Im saying we get a pitcher like Bauer and other prospects in return. You need to look at the future dude were not going to be competitive for awhile so why sit on castro and let his value drop. Im not even sold on castro just yet i dont think he is good as you may think he showed very poor plate discipline the past two years and this year his OBP dropped significantly.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:41 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes i can say he has great range but that doesn't necessarily make up for all his errors. People don't want to move rizzo because it makes ZERO sense. People want to move castro because first his value is at an all time high, second we need PITCHING DESPERATELY, third we have baez who many think can replace him and fourth he's replaceable if the price is right. Im not saying you just trade castro for mid tier prospects. Im saying we get a pitcher like Bauer and other prospects in return. You need to look at the future dude were not going to be competitive for awhile so why sit on castro and let his value drop. Im not even sold on castro just yet i dont think he is good as you may think he showed very poor plate discipline the past two years and this year his OBP dropped significantly.
He had a -5.0 defensive value from errors last year and a +4.8 from range, so he is already an average fielder and has improved every year. Why does it make zero sense to trade Rizzo (1 year older than Castro, plays 1B, a much easier position, and with Vogelbach in the minors who can only play 1B)? Like I said I don't want to trade either, but I don't understand the logic. Castro's value is high, but his contract is team friendly, so he will only continue to get more valuable. I agree we need pitching and yes any player is replaceable, but you cannot bank on Baez being a success. If you trade Castro in like 2 seasons, with Baez waiting in AAA, then that makes a lot more sense. You didn't see the Rangers trading Elvis Andrus when they had the #1 prospect in baseball Profar in the low minors. Also the Cubs would need a more elite pitcher than Bauer (less than a year younger than Castro), who has had problems with the D'Backs, for Castro. Yes the Cubs won't be competitive for a few years, but there is no reason to suggest for his trade value going down. His average dipped at the midpoint of this year because they got a new hitting coach, and they wanted him to change his approach to take more pitches and drive the ball. Towards the end of the year, his average and walks shot up, which in time will bring his OBP back up. You also have to take into consideration his BABIP (Balls Batted in Play), due to some bad bounces, was much lower this season (only .315), which really hurt his average.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #74 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

Castro, Barney, and Rizzo need to be built around, not traded away
All Topps Heritage Cubs team sets
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #75 (permalink)

Cubs To Sign Scott Feldman

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 27 at 9:41am CST]

The Cubs announced that they agreed to sign right-hander Scott Feldman to a one-year contract. Feldman, a client of agent Matt Brown, obtains a base salary of $6MM with $1MM in incentives, Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports (on Twitter).

Feldman appeared in 29 games for the Rangers this past season, making 21 starts and pitching as a reliever eight times. He finished the season with a 5.09 ERA, 7.0 K/9, 2.3 BB/9 and a 42.2% ground ball rate in 123 2/3 innings. In parts of eight seasons with the Rangers, Feldman has a 4.81 ERA with 5.4 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. His best season came in 2009, when he posted a 4.08 ERA in 189 2/3 innings and won 17 games.

Dave Cameron of FanGraphs identified Feldman as one of the best buys available for teams seeking value at the back of their rotations, explaining that Feldman resembles Brandon McCarthy in many ways. Feldman joins Scott Baker, Matt Garza, Jeff Samardzija, Travis Wood and others in the Cubs' projected rotation.

By signing Baker and Feldman, GM Jed Hoyer has addressed one of the Cubs' most pressing offseason needs -- rotation depth -- in a meaningful and affordable way. Like Paul Maholm, who signed in Chicago last offseason, Hoyer's additions figure to provide average or better than average production on contracts that don't limit the Cubs in the long-term.

The Rangers declined their 2013 option for Feldman last month, choosing a $600K buyout over a $9.25MM salary. He did not rank among MLBTR's top 50 free agents.

Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Some more pitching, he could be solid, at least we have 5 starters that have MLB experience now.
Heres hoping that we get haren