Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansen10 View Post
Yes but the deal wouldnt just be castro for bauer there'd be more pieces to the trade.
Ya I'm just saying pitching is their biggest need so instead of Upton, an established hitter along with Bauer, a pitcher with potential, I'd rather get an young pitcher who has already had success. I still don't think Castro will get dealt as I think it would kill morale and push the team too far back, at least initially, from winning.
Cubsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan4life View Post
Ya I'm just saying pitching is their biggest need so instead of Upton, an established hitter along with Bauer, a pitcher with potential, I'd rather get an young pitcher who has already had success. I still don't think Castro will get dealt as I think it would kill morale and push the team too far back, at least initially, from winning.
A prospect is as good as its going to get for us i think not many teams are willing to move a proven elite 22-25 year old pitcher

ALWAYS BUYING RENATO NUNEZ BC AUTOS
chansen10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
No Im not happy. He traded every player for junk junk and more junk. Single A players, I dont want them. Soler Almora and Vizcaino were nice pickups, but outside of that garbage, now please keep with the topic of the thread.
Theo doenst work for the Cubs? So its not on topic?

What or who did he trade for junk?

Also, what were the Cubs before he got there? If they were World Series contenders and he ruined them, then I think you can complain, but all he has done is retooled the team, it is going to take a while.

But Id like to know who or what he traded for junk and what exactly you are so upset about. Sounds like you have a personal issue against Theo for some reason.
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #154 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
And how did he do again?
He did about as well as Rizzo did for the Padres in his first stint
bulljh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsWS View Post
You wouldn't do Starlin for Strasburg?
I would, without a SECOND thought....
2013 cubs won't lose 100 games but i see them at 73-89
2014 they might be a .500 club 81-81 i don't see them contending in the next 3 years.

thoughts?
BOOMER7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #156 (permalink)

By Zach Links [December 6 at 4:24pm CST]

4:24pm: The deal is non-guaranteed, a source tells Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune. The Cubs will be off the hook for the $2MM deal if he is released in spring training.

3:32pm: The Cubs are set to re-sign third baseman Ian Stewart, sources tell Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com (via Twitter). It's a one-year, $2MM deal for the Reynolds Sports Management client, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today. The deal also includes $500K of incentives.

The 27-year-old is said to be back to full health after playing with a broken bone in his wrist for the last two years. During that stretch, Stewart has had a .183/.272/.289 slash line with five home runs in 338 total plate appearances. Before the injury, Stewart owned a career .245/.332/.451 slash line in four seasons with the Rockies.

The Cubs non-tendered Stewart earlier this month as he was set to earn $2.3MM in arbitration. Stewart picked up varying degrees of interest from other clubs in the last week including the Marlins.

Ill take it since its non guarenteed, but I hope this isnt the end of our hunt for a 3B
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Theo doenst work for the Cubs? So its not on topic?

What or who did he trade for junk?

Also, what were the Cubs before he got there? If they were World Series contenders and he ruined them, then I think you can complain, but all he has done is retooled the team, it is going to take a while.

But Id like to know who or what he traded for junk and what exactly you are so upset about. Sounds like you have a personal issue against Theo for some reason.
yep i have a personal issue thats why above I said I liked him and hes a nice guy. I dont think hes a bad GM i think he is an overrated one. like I said above HUGE difference.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #158 (permalink)

Cubs Claim Sandy Rosario Off Waivers From Red Sox

By Mike Axisa [December 12 at 2:04pm CST]

The Cubs have claimed right-hander Sandy Rosario off waivers from the Red Sox, reports MLB.com's Carrie Muskat (on Twitter). As our Transaction Tracker shows, it's the third time the right-hander has been claimed off waivers this winter.

Rosario, 27, pitched in four games for this year's Marlins team, but spent most of the season in the minor leagues. He posted a 1.99 ERA with 8.2 K/9 and 1.4 BB/9 in 31 2/3 total innings for three of the Marlins' minor league affiliates.

Not too shabby. Hasnt had success in the MLB so far, buthes also never played more than 4 games so thats not saying much
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #159 (permalink)

They need pitching
THEO could have had BAUER for very little. Welcome to 2013 and another 90
Loss season.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #160 (permalink)

Do people think this year will be better then last year?
Illini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini99 View Post
Do people think this year will be better then last year?
Some do(see above) I do not.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #162 (permalink)

By Mike Axisa [December 12 at 9:19pm CST]

The Cubs have agreed to sign South Korean right-handed reliever Chang-Yong Lim, reports Yonhap News. The split contract is worth up to $5MM at the big league level, and it includes an interpreter and a personal trainer.

"I am happy that my dream has finally come true," said Lim to reporters. "I am not getting any younger, and it's great to have the chance to experience something I never have before. I am going to tackle this challenge head on."

Lim, 36, is currently rehabbing from his second Tommy John surgery, and the Cubs don't expect him back until 2014. Roughly a half-dozen clubs made contract offers, including the Red Sox and Rangers. Lim had been with the Yakult Swallows in Japan since 2008 after spending several years with the Samsung Lions in South Korea. He pitched to a 2.09 ERA with 8.9 K/9 and 128 saves during his time with Yakult.

Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT THEO IS????? 5 MM for a Guy who wont be able to pitch until 2014, WHEN HE WILL BE 3 freakin 7?????????? WHY????
Old 12-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #163 (permalink)

36 coming off TJ.

Way to go Cubbies!
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #164 (permalink)

You guys do understand it is a split contract with Lim right? If the guy doesn't get to the majors he doesn't make the money and the Cubs lose nothing... So, why not take a flier on a sidearmer that can reach 99 mph on his fastball?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #165 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoot2 View Post
You guys do understand it is a split contract with Lim right? If the guy doesn't get to the majors he doesn't make the money and the Cubs lose nothing... So, why not take a flier on a sidearmer that can reach 99 mph on his fastball?
No they don't understand.

And do people notice it might be nice to have a great bullpen arm here. 99 MPB with a strange delivery to throw off hitters and ready in...2014 which is when we will probably contend next.

But keep hatin on Theo and Jed.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:

And do people notice it might be nice to have a great bullpen arm here. 99 MPB with a strange delivery to throw off hitters and ready in...2014 which is when we will probably contend next.

Hes had 2 TJ surgeries and he he still getspaid for being in the minors just not as much. Plus he a closer, we have 2 of those already. Its a stupid signing as he CANT EVEN PITCH until the very end of his contract. It makes 0 sense to sign a 36 year old on a rebuilding team, and youre delirious if you think the Cubs will be contending in just 2 years considering even the "savior" Theo said it will likely take 4 years.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #167 (permalink)

Cubs To Sign Carlos Villanueva?

By Mike Axisa [December 19 at 6:36pm CST]

6:36pm: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and MLB.com's Carrie Muskat report that the two sides are close to a deal but it is not done yet (Twitterlinks).

5:44pm: The Cubs have agreed to sign Carlos Villanueva, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Terms of the deal are unknown. Villanueva is an SFX client.

Chicago has sought out rotation depth this offseason, and they've already signed Scott Baker and Scott Feldman as our Free Agent Tracker shows. They also made a run at Anibal Sanchez and are reportedly a final suitor for Edwin Jackson. Villanueva, Baker, and Feldman will join rotation incumbents Jeff Samardzija, Matt Garza, and Travis Wood.

Villanueva, 29, pitched to a 4.16 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 in 125 1/3 innings spread across 16 starts and 22 relief appearances for the Blue Jays last season. He's made 29 starts and 42 relief appearances over the last two seasons and has proven capable in both roles. Earlier this offseason we heard Villanueva was reportedly seeking the opportunity to make 30 starts next season, an opportunity the Cubs can provide.

MLBTR's Tim Dierkes ranked Villanueva as the 29th best free agent on the market this offseason, predicting he would sign with the Royals. To see where you stand in our Free Agent Prediction Contest, check out our leaderboard.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #168 (permalink)

Cubs Front-Runner For Edwin Jackson

By Mark Polishuk [December 19 at 10:03pm CST]

10:03pm: Bowden reports (on Twitter) that the Cubs are now the front-runner for Jackson. He says a four-year deal worth approximately $52MM is in the ballpark.

WEDNESDAY, 7:31pm: The Indians are in talks with Jackson and the right-hander should get at least four years, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com hears the bidding is up to $50MM (Twitter link). Rosenthal adds that while Cleveland also has interest in Nick Swisher, they probably can't afford both players.

TUESDAY: The market for free agent starter Edwin Jackson has narrowed to the Cubs and Rangers, reports ESPN's Jim Bowden (Twitter link). The Padres dropped out of the running for Jackson since the team didn't want to make a four-year commitment to the right-hander. The Angels, Twins, Blue Jays and Brewers have also been rumored to be interested in Jackson at various points this offseason.

Jackson represents a backup plan for both Chicago and Texas, as the two teams were recently outbid for other major free agent starters (Anibal Sanchez and Zack Greinke, respectively). In the Cubs' case, their pursuit of Jackson represents another sign that the team is prepared to spend significant money in on free agent pitching and their willingness to spend $77MM for Sanchez wasn't just a singular offer for a particular player, though Jackson's eventual deal will be much less than $77MM.

While Jackson isn't the ace-level starter that the Rangers were looking for in Greinke, Jackson would still be a very solid innings-eating addition to a rotation that already includes Yu Darvish, Matt Harrison, Derek Holland and Colby Lewis. Acquiring Jackson would mean that Texas could keep Alexi Ogando and Martin Perez in the bullpen or the minors as rotation depth.

We heard last week that the Padres were "strongly pursuing" Jackson but FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported that San Diego weren't prepared to offer a $12-$13MM average annual salary or a commitment of four or five years. As MLB.com's Corey Brock puts it, Padres GM Josh Byrnes is "unwilling to go [as long as] four years on anyone." The Friars have signed Jason Marquis to a one-year contract this winter and have been connected to such pitchers as Shaun Marcum, Ubaldo Jimenez and Justin Masterson.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #169 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

Man, I can't stand Edwin Jackson! Really don't want to have to watch him pitch every 5th day
All Topps Heritage Cubs team sets
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #170 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam_cubbies View Post
Man, I can't stand Edwin Jackson! Really don't want to have to watch him pitch every 5th day
can't agree with this ^^^^^^ more
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #171 (permalink)

Quote:

LOL
Keep drinkin' the koolaid!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #172 (permalink)

Wish we weren't giving up on Villanueva although he is kind of moody.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #173 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam_cubbies View Post
It depends on wich Edwin you get. 95% of the time, you get the one that gives up at least 3+ runs in the first inning. 5% of the time you get a shutdown guy that no one can touch. Its an ok signing I guess IF we do actually sign him. I like the villenueva one though.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #174 (permalink)

god i hope they dont give jackson that much money

ALWAYS BUYING RENATO NUNEZ BC AUTOS
chansen10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #175 (permalink)

Guys, lets get something on the table. Theo and Jed made two starting pitching trades at the deadline last year, Dempster and Maholm. Both were lucrative and important to the Cubs future. Don't you think that the Cubs are envisioning doing the same again this year? If they sign Edwin Jackson, their Starting Pitchers would look like this:

Jeff S
Matt Garza
Travis Wood
Scott Feldman
Scott Baker
Edwin Jackson
Carlos Villanueva

That is 7 starting caliber pitchers, with many of them on short term deals that will look extremely attractive come deadline time. I think the move is genius, and makes all the send in the world. In my opinion, the Cubs are building the farm system through free agency (think Marlins, but on a smaller scale). Makes all the sense in the world to me. I am guessing the "haters" in this thread haven't really thought long term on these signings and what they will eventually mean for the Cubs.

I think the offseason has been a success, and will pay off come deadline time and for the future of the Cubs.

skrip
Ballerskrip is offline   Reply With Quote