Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012-13 Chicago Cubs offseason

Thanks for both the idea and the permission to use this idea RedSoxFan28!!

Try to keep this on topic everyone. I wont limit this to only Cubs fans, but anyone who bashes the Cubs or what not will be blocked! Try to keep it on topic! Anyway, I will be posting trades free agent pickups and the Outlook for next year!!

2013 Projected Lineup(*=Guarenteed)
1B: Anthony Rizzo*
2b=Darwin Barney*
SS= Starlin Castro*
3B=?????? (Maybe Valbuena, But Im hoping they acquire a FA who can play third
C=Dioner Navarro or Wellington Castillo
LF=As of right now, Alfonso Soriano
CF=David Dejesus
RF=Nate Schierholtz

Rotation
1.Matt Garza*
2.Jeff Samamsqadefewa*
3.Edwin Jackson*
4.Scott Baker*
5.Scott Feldman/Carlos Villeneuava/ Travis Wood.

Closer: Marmol/Fujikawa
Really hope the Cubs can get Vizcaino in pitching shape pretty quickly, hed be a nice hard throwing addition to the pen!

Last edited by MarshallCutler6; 12-23-2012 at 12:34 AM.
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Big

Depending how they look in spring training I think they are gonna have Jackson in center and give Vitters an extended shot at 3rd! You got nothing to lose so might as well give them a shot from the beginning.
Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
Depending how they look in spring training I think they are gonna have Jackson in center and give Vitters an extended shot at 3rd! You got nothing to lose so might as well give them a shot from the beginning.
I agree, But I think theo and Sveum said they are going to start those two off in the minors, due to their immense struggles last year.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

As a Cubs fan I feel Vitters should be given a shot at third. I feel we are still going to be in a transitional period and need to see what/if youngsters like Vitters and Jackson can do at the major league level. Both have the upside of being solid MLB regulars, and/or potential trade bait depending on how prospects like Baez, Soler and Almora can do in the minors.

With such a lack of pitching depth in the minors I see them going after pitching in the off season, but I see more stop gap pick ups than going after big names at this point.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chad View Post
As a Cubs fan I feel Vitters should be given a shot at third. I feel we are still going to be in a transitional period and need to see what/if youngsters like Vitters and Jackson can do at the major league level. Both have the upside of being solid MLB regulars, and/or potential trade bait depending on how prospects like Baez, Soler and Almora can do in the minors.

With such a lack of pitching depth in the minors I see them going after pitching in the off season, but I see more stop gap pick ups than going after big names at this point.
Yep, I think Haren and Marcum under one year contracts might happen as we already know the Cubs are interested in Haren, and Marcum has NL central experience. As for vitters,I think he needs at least a couple of months down in the Minors to work on his fielding, because it was really terrible last year. His bat will come around, but his glove has got to be improved.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
I have a tough time believing either will start with the team out of ST, unless one (or both) of them is on fire in March. They'll likely take a similar path to Rizzo, who flamed out in his first call-up (albeit in SD) and get called up mid-season.

Unless we can find some pop via trade or on the open market, we're likely in for another long season. The middle of our order -- outside of Rizzo -- is weak and the back end of our rotation is just horrible. If Wood is our #3 SP and we don't find a solution at 3B or the middle of the order, we're looking at 95-100 losses.
endthecurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

My friend,a cubs fan the poor guy,keeps telling me y'all are trying to get lonnie chisenhall for 3rd. I really hope not but has anyone else heard that?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sme1973 View Post
My friend,a cubs fan the poor guy,keeps telling me y'all are trying to get lonnie chisenhall for 3rd. I really hope not but has anyone else heard that?
Theres been a little talk here and there about a Chisenhall for Lahair trade, but really nothing legit, I wouldnt worry.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

I really like the infield potential but would like to see a free agent acquisition for 3B, the entire outfield needs a revamp though, if Soriano can carry over this years upswing to next season it will be decent but I agree with LaHair being moved before spring.
Haze28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Let's hope our Cubs can have a much better season than this last season!! I like most Cubs fans are always worried about their pitching. Obviously, the Cubs have been in a rebuilding phase for the past few years but I think progress will be made and hopefully they will be contenders in a few years!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Agreed that Vitters and Jackson will start out at AAA. 3rd base will be filled by FA or trade most likely with Valbuena backing up. Just my opinion. I think Vitters is and will be a bust(hope Im wrong). But I still hold out hope for Jackson.

Also agree that the lack of pitching depth scares me. They have been claiming every pitcher they can in hopes that at least one is decent. Anything we have to trade will be traded for pitching prospects in the off-season and at the trade deadline.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I wish that trade for Haren would have panned out. He would have been a great addition to the rotation.
Haze28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

I was reading on Cubs.com that they are exploring the idea of possibly moving Marmol into the rotation.

As far as Jackson and Vitters go, I think they should sign a FA 3rd baseman but also not rule either one out. Wait until spring training before you make your decision lol
Copeskey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchance13 View Post
Agreed that Vitters and Jackson will start out at AAA. 3rd base will be filled by FA or trade most likely with Valbuena backing up. Just my opinion. I think Vitters is and will be a bust(hope Im wrong). But I still hold out hope for Jackson.

Also agree that the lack of pitching depth scares me. They have been claiming every pitcher they can in hopes that at least one is decent. Anything we have to trade will be traded for pitching prospects in the off-season and at the trade deadline.
Yep, we have got to get a pitching staff with some depth, because right now we have nothing but Garza
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

I wish the Marmol for Haren deal went through.
Illini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini99 View Post
I wish the Marmol for Haren deal went through.
Dont we all? lol Yea I really dont like marmol and Haren is an above average pitcher, it was a bummer.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Heres who the Cubs have acquired so far:
Zach Putnam, P
Carlos Guiterriez, P
Marcelo Carreno, P

All had terrible ERAs in the minors. Yay!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

There are said to be in on the bidding for International player Hyun-Jin Ryu. I think he could be a great addition seeing as many scouts (practically all outside of Law) think he can be a solid #3 or #4 guy
jrod29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

I believe the Cubs will go with Campana-DeJesus (CF-RF) vs RHP and DeJesus-Sappelt vs LHP until Jackson is ready. If they go the FA route, I think Ankiel would be an interesting signing. Cubs have to sign a 3B. Maybe Theo goes after Youkilis on a one-year deal. I don't think Vitters is the answer but he will be given every chance to win the job over the next two seasons.

As for pitching, they have to sign a SP (may be Edwin Jackson or Guthrie) and either Coleman or Raley wins the 5th spot in ST. I see Vizcaino in the bullpen this year as his innings are monitored after TJ sugery. Next year, he has to get a shot at the rotation.

I'm not a Cubs fan but this is just my thoughts/GM skills.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Thank goodness the Cubs didnt win the Bid for that Ryu guy. The last thing we need to be doing is paying 50+ mil on one player, esp. one whos never stepped on a major league field before, I was getting worried it was going to Koskue all over again. 7:01pm: The Cubs "bid aggressively" but did not win Ryu's rights, tweets Heyman.

Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

^^ In case you wondered where I got my info lol.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

We should sign Joe Blanton and Brandon McCarthy for rotation. Both cheap and eat innings.

Then sign Josh Fields and tender Ian Stewart. See who wins battle for 3B.

Also gonna need another UT OF. Maybe sign back Reed.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsWS View Post
We should sign Joe Blanton and Brandon McCarthy for rotation. Both cheap and eat innings.

Then sign Josh Fields and tender Ian Stewart. See who wins battle for 3B.

Also gonna need another UT OF. Maybe sign back Reed.
Id like to see Haren over Mccarthy personally. As for the 3B thing Im down with that. I would love to have reed back!! Sadly with whatever Theo is trying to do we only sign people under 30 that have had unsuccessful minor league careers.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Id like to see Haren over Mccarthy personally. As for the 3B thing Im down with that. I would love to have reed back!! Sadly with whatever Theo is trying to do we only sign people under 30 that have had unsuccessful minor league careers.
Those three pick-ups are what we need. Young bullpen arms. We don't have any. Putnam isn't awful. I would have rather gotten Jeffress from Royals though.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsWS View Post
Those three pick-ups are what we need. Young bullpen arms. We don't have any. Putnam isn't awful. I would have rather gotten Jeffress from Royals though.
Putnam isnt, the others are, and yea I would have preffered Jeffress, I think he will be good.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Thank goodness the Cubs didnt win the Bid for that Ryu guy. The last thing we need to be doing is paying 50+ mil on one player, esp. one whos never stepped on a major league field before, I was getting worried it was going to Koskue all over again. 7:01pm: The Cubs "bid aggressively" but did not win Ryu's rights, tweets Heyman.

Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

^^ In case you wondered where I got my info lol.
Im very interested in knowing who won this bid now! It isnt the Cubs or Rangers, Whom many thought were the only 2 teams involved.