Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Good LCS in Bay Area? (Particularly East Bay)

So I finally just moved to the Bay Area from PA. I'm currently (at least for the next 4 months) living in the East Bay in Hayward. I may be moving to the Peninsula of SFO in a couple of months. Are there any card shops that people would recommend for service/experience/prices? I've checked a couple on Topps' website and some aren't even operating anymore.

I'm mainly an online guy but I'd still like to check out a good LCS- never had one anywhere nearby where I was from in PA.
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the Bay Area! There is M & M in Hayward, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, here where I live in Alameda, there is Alameda Sports Cards which I highly recommend for new wax. On the peninsula, there is the Peninsulas Sports Cards shops (3 in different cities) and What's on Second in San Mateo which is also a personal fav for newer wax. Lefty's on the peninsula is pretty expensive and I, personally, would go near
The one in the city. There is a shop I've only been to once up in Mill Valley that looked really good. Don't know as much about the tri-valley area.

Good luck, you'll love it around here!

Last edited by kmnorton; 11-06-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
kmnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

There is Trader J's in Dublin. GoA's knows all about it. The Bay area is awesome! Also is your picture of the college humor guy?
Niykee Heaton is the most beautiful girl in the world.
fert360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to check them out. Yeah, really excited to be out here- its been a long time coming. Love it so far.

I switched to this avatar for the one Parks & Recreation avatar contest. I kept the avatar because it won me a card. Its of the annoying but awesome "Jean-Ralphio" character from the show. I'm not sure what other shows/skits he's been on.
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm familiar with Trader J's in dublin. There's another LCS in San leandro with a crotchety owner but he has current wax. Also there's another in Danville called Talking Baseball.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnorton View Post
Welcome to the Bay Area! There is M & M in Hayward, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, here where I live in Alameda, there is Alameda Sports Cards which I highly recommend for new wax. On the peninsula, there is the Peninsulas Sports Cards shops (3 in different cities) and What's on Second in San Mateo which is also a personal fav for newer wax. Lefty's on the peninsula is pretty expensive and I, personally, would go near
The one in the city. There is a shop I've only been to once up in Mill Valley that looked really good. Don't know as much about the tri-valley area.

Good luck, you'll love it around here!
Which has the best prices for boxes?
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Not sure how far you are from San Jose (assuming a decent distance), but Stevens Creek is pretty good.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Welcome to the bay...if you're looking for cases or looking to rip a bunch of wax at once let me know, I'll give you my dealers #. He's the biggest wax dealer and does almost all the shows out here. He's totally legit and pretty much matches BO on prices.
strider_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Strider,

What would be the minimum number of cases to be able to get from the dealer?
I would bust a case here and there but more than one case is too much work for me.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah I buy all my stuff from Trader J's in Dublin, cool guy. Has no problem holding boxes for you if you plan on coming back and buying more. Plus he will call you right when UPS delivers a certain product if he knows you are interested in it.
GoA's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

He doesn't always get every product, but I think Jordan over at What's On Second tends to be the best retail deal on full boxes.
kmnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoA's View Post
Yeah I buy all my stuff from Trader J's in Dublin, cool guy. Has no problem holding boxes for you if you plan on coming back and buying more. Plus he will call you right when UPS delivers a certain product if he knows you are interested in it.
I like Trader J's, but I had to stop buying from him; destroyed me on wax prices (as in way too high - as much 40% mark up on some stuff - and each box I've bought have been serous duds).

But I do recommend some of the other mentioned.
wickedliquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedliquids View Post
I like Trader J's, but I had to stop buying from him; destroyed me on wax prices (as in way too high - as much 40% mark up on some stuff - and each box I've bought have been serous duds).

But I do recommend some of the other mentioned.
Yeah, his boxes are high especially compared to BO prices...but location is ideal for me and the other shop by my house in san leandro that was mentioned gets new stuff but the guy smokes in his shop and I walk out every time feeling like I need to go home and shower cause I stink.
GoA's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_boi View Post
Welcome to the bay...if you're looking for cases or looking to rip a bunch of wax at once let me know, I'll give you my dealers #. He's the biggest wax dealer and does almost all the shows out here. He's totally legit and pretty much matches BO on prices.
You must be talking about the Shark?
kevinandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah, I think he's talking about Greg aka CA Cardshark.