Blowout Cards Forums
Top Shelf

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Christmas Ideas for my Dad

Trying to come up with Christmas ideas for my dad, and I'm leaning toward a nice Hank Aaron autograph card. My dad is not a collector, but he's a big Braves fan and has always liked Aaron. What do you get the man who has everything? -- well, at least something he can admire. Last year it was a bottle of scotch ... this year, thinking of taking another route.

However, I am clueless as to what is a "good" or "bad" Aaron auto. Can you guys help me out? Much appreciated.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think a psa/dna autographed baseball would fit the bill. It really depends upon what your budget is though.
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
I think a psa/dna autographed baseball would fit the bill. It really depends upon what your budget is though.
Budget is $75-$100. Could go a little higher if that makes the difference between a good and great gift.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

This thread contains a nice Aaron piece, I'd be willing to sell it but it would be more than a $100.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/g...-pc-items.html
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear29 View Post
This thread contains a nice Aaron piece, I'd be willing to sell it but it would be more than a $100.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/g...-pc-items.html
I can't see it ... what is it exactly?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's a framed piece that contains a Kang Mu lithograph signed by Mu, a pewter statuette from the late 60's, an autographed 8x10, an 8x10 that isn't signed and then the center piece a hammer made from the barrel of the bat by the Kit Young Bat Co. signed on the handle.
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

A Hank Aaron autographed card (from Topps, or other reputable card company) is going to cost you more than a baseball. He's signed a TON of baseballs. If you go w/ the ball though, make sure it comes with a COA from a reputable company (use Google).
Old 11-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear29 View Post
It's a framed piece that contains a Kang Mu lithograph signed by Mu, a pewter statuette from the late 60's, an autographed 8x10, an 8x10 that isn't signed and then the center piece a hammer made from the barrel of the bat by the Kit Young Bat Co. signed on the handle.
Gotcha ... I totally misunderstood your thread, so it's all Aaron memorabilia. I will take a look and PM you later. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I think a signed baseball in a nice holder would be better if he doesn't collect cards. More display options with a ball. I got my Dad a Johnny Bench ball in a pretty sweet display case that he keeps in his office at work. Said to me that on more than one occasion it was helpful in breaking the ice in meetings and what not.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ball or 8x10 gives you more flexibility for displaying the item if he isn't a big card collector. Check ebay for prices, I'm sure you can find something for $100 from a reputable company if you look around.
cjsayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

I've got this if you need!

Mike13198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Marks on case obvioisly!
Mike13198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

I know Steiner was selling Aaron "flawed" signed baseballs last year for something like $40...most of them just had small toning or oil spots. If you search enough, you should be able to find an authenticated ball around your price range.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Trying to come up with Christmas ideas for my dad, and I'm leaning toward a nice Hank Aaron autograph card. My dad is not a collector, but he's a big Braves fan and has always liked Aaron. What do you get the man who has everything? -- well, at least something he can admire. Last year it was a bottle of scotch ... this year, thinking of taking another route.

However, I am clueless as to what is a "good" or "bad" Aaron auto. Can you guys help me out? Much appreciated.
I did something similar for my dad, who is an avid golfer and huge fan of Nicklaus and Palmer. He couldn't care less about cards, or memorabilia to a certain extent, but he appreciates autographs. I found a dual signed flag from the 1995 British Open, had it nicely framed, and gave it to him for his 60th. I think the effort meant far more to him than the item itself, but he still enjoys the flag. It's in a position of prominence in their basement, away from the light.

If he's a huge Aaron fan, my recommendation would be to find a moderately priced 8x10 or 16x20 autographed photo authenticated by PSA (who I think has the best presentable sticker), or MLB, and get it a nice frame job at Michael's. You could probably get out for less than $150, and it could potentially have a much larger impact than a ball in a cube. But, of course, you know your dad better than an Internet stranger, so this all could be worthless advice
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
I know Steiner was selling Aaron "flawed" signed baseballs last year for something like $40...most of them just had small toning or oil spots. If you search enough, you should be able to find an authenticated ball around your price range.
Probably was one like this?

Signed Hank Aaron Baseball - JSA - DAMAGED | Authentic Autographed
Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALVINXLIONSX81 View Post
Yes, similar to that. But the damage on most was very minimal...
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

After a month of searching, being outbid on eBay over and over again ... I finally found what I was looking for. Got a beautiful Hank Aaron auto'd ball for right at $100 shipped ... took advantage of a mediocre listing and a horrible ending time. So pumped!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11003...SA%3AUS%3A3160

Really appreciate everyone's help ... I have learned a lot about what's good and what's bad in the world of autographs.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Felt the need to post something positive ...

Here is a good pic of the Steiner-certified ONL Aaron signed ball I got for my dad. So excited about this gift ... got it for $100 shipped and it is FLAWLESS.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

If you have a Michael's nearby they have really nice wood memorabilia cases on sale right now. I picked up a small shadow box as part of my present to my niece - she is a big soccer fan and I found an Alex Morgan game used card and put it in the shadow box. Looks really slick.

20% off Auto Accept on COMC Always On!
My New Blog - http://comcadventures.blogspot.com/
Swipe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe79 View Post
If you have a Michael's nearby they have really nice wood memorabilia cases on sale right now. I picked up a small shadow box as part of my present to my niece - she is a big soccer fan and I found an Alex Morgan game used card and put it in the shadow box. Looks really slick.
Thanks for the heads up! I am completely done with Christmas shopping ... which means I should have time to go by there this afternoon. Yes, the plastic case just doesn't do the ball justice.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post

I just got my hank auto to go with a vintage card i had. topps tier one. nice price, short print, beautiful card.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peafour View Post
I did something similar for my dad, who is an avid golfer and huge fan of Nicklaus and Palmer. He couldn't care less about cards, or memorabilia to a certain extent, but he appreciates autographs. I found a dual signed flag from the 1995 British Open, had it nicely framed, and gave it to him for his 60th. I think the effort meant far more to him than the item itself, but he still enjoys the flag. It's in a position of prominence in their basement, away from the light.

If he's a huge Aaron fan, my recommendation would be to find a moderately priced 8x10 or 16x20 autographed photo authenticated by PSA (who I think has the best presentable sticker), or MLB, and get it a nice frame job at Michael's. You could probably get out for less than $150, and it could potentially have a much larger impact than a ball in a cube. But, of course, you know your dad better than an Internet stranger, so this all could be worthless advice
Wow, did you find that on the bay?? That is an awesome present.
RipitRipken is offline   Reply With Quote