Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Selling advise

Hello
I am reaching out because I could use some suggestions. First let me state by saying I am not a high end guy. I am more the guy that after you bust cases of Bowman and sell the auto's and sets wonder who wants to deal with sorting and doing anything with all these ref/#'d/parallel/inserts, etc.. That's me, I always enjoy picking up a lot from case breakers taking some cards for PC and then sorting the rest.

Anyways, because of this I usually accumulate a good number of cards and will put them for sale. I try and make all my threads easy to follow and not to much of a cluster and I price out all cards individually. Since I've started here I will always get the response or PM that says, how much for everything.

At first I took the time to figure out what the total I have for everything is and how much shipping would be then how much of a discount off that price sounds reasonable from my perspective. Then one of two things will happen:

1) never hear from that person again (sweet, just wasted my time)
or
2) "When I buy lots I get them for cheaper then the price you gave me" I think to myself thats great, so do I. But I never stated or said that I was looking to unload or quickly sell the cards. I understand a discount for buying a large number of cards and always quote a discounted price.

The one time I told the other party that I have everything priced and if they were interested in a large number of cards to make an offer. They responded with "There are your cards, when you want to sell them give me a price" So I gave them a price and to my surprise never got a response.

So, I guess I want to ask if I am in the wrong to ask for offers on the cards. I already have everything priced so there is already a built in ceiling to the price. Or is this one of the fun quirks of the hobby.

Sorry for the long read, but thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not wrong at all, I've dealt with you twice in the past and both times were great!
nadeauman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

When someone asks for a price on everything, realize right away that they only want a smoking deal. Know that going into the negotiation and be ready to sell to them at a discount. It's an economic thing, their logic is that they are making it easy for you to sell it all in one shot so it should be cheaper because you save time, effort, etc.

It does bother me when they don't respond however, that's just rude no matter what.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/

Last edited by friarbolt; 11-08-2012 at 04:16 PM.
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Your threads are awesome and make it easy to filter through and find cards that I am interested in. So in my opinion, keep doing it that way.

That being said, I lump those "give me a price on all of it" people with the ones that post threads saying "I have $1000 PayPal ready for xxx" people. Most of the time I feel like they are just fishing, with little intention of buying. The few times I have received PMs asking for a price on all of it, I take 10% off, give them that price and tell them "I will continue selling them individually until you tell me you want them". I'm not going to slow down sales from people ready to pay for you to not reply.

If I'm already selling below eBay (as you are with your threads), I'm not going to go back and forth. Here's the price, take it or leave it, I'll be selling over here
Verufian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

2000doubles - funny thing is i know exactly who told you both those things cause they tried dealing with me - it turned out so bad i just blocked them since i rather deal with people that are humans and not looking to rip you off.

good luck
fduran27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

No you aren't in the wrong. People like having the other person give a price first is all, since in negotiating the power sort of lies in the 2nd person to name a price. (At least I see it that way, since they could name a price lower than what you wanted to pay and then you can negotiate lower than you expected to go.)

But yeah, just keep doing it like you're doing it because it's awesome. You'll probably be hearing from me on a few of those Topps Chrome cards tonight, I gotta check what I have though
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Keep doing what you're doing...soon you'll start attracting worth while collector's. I had a lot of '12 BC for sale that someone needed to complete a set. Shot them a price of $4 dlvd in a bubble mailer (there were about 25 cards of prospects/refractors). So, they shot me a price of $2 HAHA! Apparently they wanted me to give them cards that they'd pay the shipping for...smh...some people's kids. You'll know who the serious buyers are...beware of the children on here who like to waste your time asking for lists and say they want them then spend the money on a box of twinkies instead.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hello
Thanks everyone for the help and kind words. I understand that people are always looking for a deal or that they may expect one. I try and be very reasonable with the prices I put up. Heck when putting cards on to my excel spreadsheet one of my columns is what the price is on COMC just to make sure I am being reasonable.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I spend time (priced over 500 cards the other day) finding totals so I can make a reasonable offer and I can't get a simple "No thanks". At the end of the day it is not the biggest of issues I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the way i am doing things.

thanks again to everyone for the help