Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cubs Convention

Me and my brother are going this year, flying into Chicago from Rochester. Had anyone gone before? What are the autograph sessions like? Any hints or tips on how to get autographs of some of the bigger names? Anything cool or fun I should keep any eye out for?

Any info or help is appreciated!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you want autographs from bigger names then you had better get on the hook with the front office and ask them to SIGN some bigger names....

Team is a fricking joke right now.....
Dobber2330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Big

My buddies and I go every year . The key to getting good autos is to look at the schedule for talks they have going on in the conference rooms and get a seat up front. Most players signs after each session. Please feel free to pm with any other questions! Would be glad to help!
Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks! Good to know, if I have other questions I will certainly let you know. Pretty excited for this, and going to the shedd aquarium as well!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chad View Post
Thanks! Good to know, if I have other questions I will certainly let you know. Pretty excited for this, and going to the shedd aquarium as well!
Isn't CC a lil pricey? I was thinking of doing it this year, but couldn't justify spending the type of money on the hotel room/combo. Anyone that I talked to said that they are doing new stuff this year, and that it was okay in years previous for Game Worn stuff. I did Twinsfest for the first time because I herd excellent reviews, which I can now attest to, so I will be doing it again, but this time for 2 days and Brewers fanfest on the Sunday (I'm from Milwaukee) . From what people tell me is that CC is a very big risk, and not to expect to make your money back in terms of value. At twinsfest I made $400 off dealer tables, and $500 by reselling stadium banners. I was able to get the 2 guys I needed (mauer and morneau) for $35 each. The Chicago teams are odd with their fan fests, which is why I will continue to refuse to go to them.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not going to profit or going with any expectations. I'm going cause me and my brother are Cubs fans. Don't get me wrong I'd love to get some autographs and hope that I walk away with some but I'm going for the experience mainly. Pricey, a little I guess but I'm splitting cost with my brother, and my girlfriend is coming whose best friend lives in Chicago, so we have a free place to crash for some time before/after the convention.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
Isn't CC a lil pricey? I was thinking of doing it this year, but couldn't justify spending the type of money on the hotel room/combo. Anyone that I talked to said that they are doing new stuff this year, and that it was okay in years previous for Game Worn stuff. I did Twinsfest for the first time because I herd excellent reviews, which I can now attest to, so I will be doing it again, but this time for 2 days and Brewers fanfest on the Sunday (I'm from Milwaukee) . From what people tell me is that CC is a very big risk, and not to expect to make your money back in terms of value. At twinsfest I made $400 off dealer tables, and $500 by reselling stadium banners. I was able to get the 2 guys I needed (mauer and morneau) for $35 each. The Chicago teams are odd with their fan fests, which is why I will continue to refuse to go to them.
Here in Chicago Fan Conventions are fan conventions. There are plenty of other dealer shows, auto signings, and flea markets and the audience is big enough that they don't need to combine them all. Yet.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Big

I don't really think the CC is really all that pricey($60) for three days. I really enjoy all the seminars they have. They have different things like old players talking about big game and their time playing with the Cubs. My favorite thing every year is a seminar thing Down on the farm. Which features the big name minor league guys. There is plenty of memorabilia/cards/clothing and autos to purchase. I usually try to wait till Sunday to buy tend to get some better deals. Also another tip is to hang out at the hotel bar late on Saturday night most if the old guys hang out there and they are more than willing to have a drink with ya and tell some great stories.
Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chad View Post
I'm not going to profit or going with any expectations. I'm going cause me and my brother are Cubs fans. Don't get me wrong I'd love to get some autographs and hope that I walk away with some but I'm going for the experience mainly. Pricey, a little I guess but I'm splitting cost with my brother, and my girlfriend is coming whose best friend lives in Chicago, so we have a free place to crash for some time before/after the convention.
My wife and I have gone for years. She likes the talks, I like to get autographs. They don't publish the autograph schedule until the Thursday before the convention, generally. I wouldn't expect big names from the past, outside of Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, and possibly Andre Dawson. Kerry Wood, too, I guess. I expect that he'll be there this year. Most of the current players should be there, especially the pre-FA type guys. If they had any big names this year, I'd say they wouldn't be there, but of the current Cubs, probably only Soriano won't be. There will be a tremendous line for Castro and (at least) Rizzo. Like, waste a day level line. Names like Javier Baez, or the Cubans, probably won't be there. The MiLB Players of the Year will be there (pitcher and offense). Last year I think we made out with 16 auto balls. If you get the hotel package, you get a signed Jackson/Rizzo photo, which is neat. Last year was Banks/Castro, but you can't win them all.

It's a great experience if you like hanging out with like minded people; but like any Cubs event, there's always the chance of some drunken hosebag who can ruin it if you let them.

My recommendation to you would be to check the website before you fly out and game plan what you want to do. If you want to go to signings, get there early, but no more than a half hour or so unless it's the first one. They have really started cracking down on early lineups. Guys generally sign for 45 minutes, on the hour. People were lined up three or four guys early a few years ago, but security has started disallowing that. The vendors are generally overpriced. They've got cool stuff, but I think it looks better in the moment than it would on the wall at your house. You're probably better off buying stuff elsewhere. The best deal I've seen was $350 for a nicely framed Sandberg signed jersey five years ago that I'm still kind of mad I didn't buy. Like someone else said, talks are also a great place to get autographs afterwards, but you need to be prepared to rush the player. People are super aggressive after talks. I don't like doing that; it feels crude.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

I had great success the past years, but not so sure how it will work this year at new place. I know people who hook me up and will get players for me.

I have lots of GU bats this year to get signed so it should be fun.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

I go every year, the guy above explained it pretty well, but Pm me and Ill answer any specific questions you have!