Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #26 (permalink)

An idea that came to me a few days ago that the Yankees could try is platooning Cervelli, Romine and Stewart at catcher.
The list of free agent catchers doesn't impress me one bit and almost every talented catcher is locked up and would cost the Yanks a lot should they consider trading.

Because of that I don't see why the Yankees shouldn't give their (cheap) homegrown talent a shot. Cervelli's a guy that the fans have been wanting the Yanks to give more playing time to for a while now, Stewart was a guy the Yankees brought in to remedy Romine going down and Romine was considered major-league ready even before Jesus Montero was traded. None of these three scream "starting catcher" and probably won't put up the same numbers that Posada did but considering the low risk I personally think it's worth a shot.

As for the rest of the holes the Yankees have, I can definitely see them re-signing Pettitte, Ichiro and Rivera for SP, RF and CL respectively.
While I'd like to say Kuroda and Ibanez will be back as well I'm not sure since Kuroda seems to be torn between one more (possibly WS bound) season with the Bronx Bombers or pitching back in Hiroshima and the Yankees don't seem to be interested that much in bringing Ibanez back.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
An idea that came to me a few days ago that the Yankees could try is platooning Cervelli, Romine and Stewart at catcher.
The list of free agent catchers doesn't impress me one bit and almost every talented catcher is locked up and would cost the Yanks a lot should they consider trading.

Because of that I don't see why the Yankees shouldn't give their (cheap) homegrown talent a shot. Cervelli's a guy that the fans have been wanting the Yanks to give more playing time to for a while now, Stewart was a guy the Yankees brought in to remedy Romine going down and Romine was considered major-league ready even before Jesus Montero was traded. None of these three scream "starting catcher" and probably won't put up the same numbers that Posada did but considering the low risk I personally think it's worth a shot.
I miss Cervelli...he's a really fun guy and he can't possibly be worse than Martin was last year. No one will remember it, but in his first 2012 at-bat, he drew a huge bases-empty, two-out walk in the 12th inning of one of the regular season October teams (when Baltimore was still hot on our tail) and scored the winning run on the Ibanez walk-off hit. That was easily one of my favorite moments of the year...

I really hope we see more of him next year. C.C. loves pitching to him, too!