Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default New York Yankees.

I have seen the Cubs and the Sox covered on specific threads about their offseasons, however I wanted to make one about the Yankees.

Now I would love for this to be a discussion for Yankees fans as well as other teams fans to come and talk about the Yankees. I hope that this won't turn into a "I hate the Yankees and only the Yankees and anything they do is stupid" type of thread with obnoxious off topic comments.

Now on to the discussion

In my view the Yankees have a large problem with the way that their team is constructed. In the past they would sign anyone who they wanted in order to attempt to win the WS. This really never worked and they have spent numerous dollars on free agents that haven't done anything (Wright, Brown, Pavano, Igawa, etc.) Now this offseason they have 13 free agents from the team that finished the season as AL Champ runner ups.

The biggest names are of course:
Kuroda
Soriano
Swisher
Ichiro
Martin
Pettite
Rivera
Chavez
Ibanez
Jones
and of course a few others.

As of right now the Yankees are set at a good portion of their positions:
C: ?
1B: Tex
2B: Cano
3B: Rodriguez (whether you like it or not he will be there)
SS: Jeter
LF: Gardner
RF: ?
CF: Granderson

Bench:
Stewart (C)
Nunez (SS)
Nix (Util)



SP: Sabathia
SP: Hughes
SP: Nova
SP: ??
SP: ??

Bullpen:
Robertson
Chamberlain
Logan
Aardsma
Phelps
Rapada

So they are looking for C, RF, SP, SP, Bullpen, 4th Outfielder, Backup 1B

Most of these are not incredibly difficult to fix
Resign Kuroda 2 years
Resign Ichiro 1 year
Resign Pettite 1 year
Resign Rivera 1 year

That leaves a hole at only catcher, backup 1B, and a 4th outfielder.

Finding the backup 1B and the 4th outfielder can be done on the cheap or through the farm system.
Finding a catcher will be difficult and I'm not exactly sure how I would like the Yankees to go about it.


Basically I think that the next year will be another year of 90+ wins and then a burnout in the playoffs. The Yankees are too old. However they do have a very solid farm system and once Mason Williams, Gary Sanchez, Heathcott, etc. can reach the majors the Yankees will be much better off.

Lemme know what you guys think! I couldn't type all my thoughts but I will definitely respond to all the comments posted as long as they are on topic!

Thanks guys!
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
RedSoxFan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,250
Default

Copiers Hopefully yours will stay on topic, I wish mine would have more
__________________
Baseball- Boston Red Sox, Football- New England Patriots, Basketball- Boston Celtics & OKC Thunder, Hockey- Boston Bruins
Looking for Tom Brady Flawless
RedSoxFan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
DirtyBirdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ct
Posts: 947
Default

Don't forget the return of Pineda (I hope)

I wouldn't mind seeing them let martin go and try and sign A.J. Pierzynski
DirtyBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan28 View Post
Copiers Hopefully yours will stay on topic, I wish mine would have more
Yeah hopefully. It was a very good idea!
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
csmtampa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,287
Default

Bullpen - Mark Montgomery
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
charnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,021
Default

well, first i disagree with the fact that you said signing the free agents "never really worked," considering they took it the crown in 2009 with CC/Tex/AJ, but that's neither here, nor there, i see the point you're trying to make.

i think a lot of what they'll do over the next couple of years is hugely dependent on how the farm system shakes out. i believe cashman when they say they want to be under the luxury tax by 2014, and it only makes sense. if they're gonna give out any huge contracts in the next couple of years, why exacerbate it with luxury tax. unlike the stereotypical yankee fan (which i believe are far and few between actually), i'm ok with a couple of years of stepping back a bit to build a better winner in 2013/14 and beyond, and i don't think they're too far from it. my thoughts on my i think they'll do (not what they should, but what i think they will) based on what you laid out:

The biggest names are of course:
Kuroda - BACK FOR 1 YR
Soriano - GONE
Swisher - GONE
Ichiro - BACK FOR 1-2 YRS
Martin - BACK FOR 1-2 YRS
Pettite - BACK FOR 1 YR
Rivera - BACK FOR 1 YR
Chavez - GONE
Ibanez - GONE, MAYBE 1 MORE YR
Jones - GONE


As of right now the Yankees are set at a good portion of their positions:
C: ? - MARTIN FOR 1-2 YEARS, THEN GARY SANCHEZ HOPEFULLY
1B: Tex
2B: Cano
3B: Rodriguez (whether you like it or not he will be there) - HE SURE WILL
SS: Jeter
LF: Gardner - HOW LONG DEPENDS ON TYLER AUSTIN'S DEVELOPMENT
RF: ? - TORII HUNTER FOR 1-2 YRS, THEN GRANDERSON MOVES
CF: Granderson - FOR 1-2 YEARS, THEN MASON WILLIAMS

Bench:
Stewart (C) - REPLACED BY ROMINE
Nunez (SS) - YEP, IF HE CAN BECOME AN OVERALL SMARTER PLAYER
Nix (Util) - INTERCHANGEABLE/REPLACEABLE



SP: Sabathia
SP: Hughes
SP: Nova - I HAVE A FEELING HE'LL BE TRADED, WILL THEY GO FOR LOHSE?
SP: ?? - PETTITTE FOR 1 YR WHILE BANUELOS AND/OR PINEDA REHABS
SP: ?? - KURODA FOR 1 YR, THEN ?? (MAYBE TY HENSLEY?)

Bullpen:
Robertson - CLOSER IN WAITING
Chamberlain
Logan
Aardsma
Phelps
Rapada

Adam Warren, Mark Montgomery & Betances will also get shots to make the 'pen, but Betances has a long way to go to regain his status as a top organizational arm. Most of their top prospects are in the lower levels, so a lot of moves are dependent on their development. Can Gumbs be an everyday 2B if Cano leaves/signs a shorter deal? Can Culver push Jeter to DH within 2-3 years? Can Slade Heathcott stay healthy enough to push for a full time MLB job in 2014? Lots of questions, but I'm anxious to see these guys actually get a shot in pinstripes for once.
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Temp Suspended Bumping
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 6,917
Default

Wow ^^

Swisher will be back
Chavez will be back

As far as catchers go we have a plethora Martin, Sanchez, and Romine.
As far as pitchers go we have a bunch as well Pineda, Bentances, Warren and a few more.
__________________
Looking for Derek Jeter!!! RE2PECT
Penny sleeve ---> top loader ----> team bag ----> bubble mailer
If you don't ship in a bubble mailer w/ TRACKING CONFIRMATION I do not want to buy/trade with you.
Yankees_Pride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
SerialKilnWalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,606
Default

Kuroda, Soriano and Swisher turned down their 13.3 million dollar offers.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...s_nyy&c_id=nyy
__________________
Pauly Shore Collector - Please contact me if you have anything Pauly Shore Autographs or Memorabilia
SerialKilnWalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Greengoblin782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Orange, New Jersey
Posts: 1,229
Default

I hope Kuroda and Swisher try and renegotiate a new contract.
Greengoblin782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
charnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,021
Default

Yankees_Pride, you really think Swish will be back? I friggin' love the guy, love his personality, love how he plays the game, but there's just no place on the team for him anymore, considering he's gonna be looking for a 5+ year contract at like $15mil per. not to mention the recent postseason failures, i just don't see it happening. someone else will overpay him, not the yankees.
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBirdy View Post
Don't forget the return of Pineda (I hope)
I wouldn't mind seeing them let martin go and try and sign A.J. Pierzynski
Pierzynski would be too expensive. Pineda isn't coming back till June or July and would need some time to adjust back to throwing again so we shouldn't expect him till late july or august.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmtampa View Post
Bullpen - Mark Montgomery
Doubt he will contribute much this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnick View Post
The biggest names are of course:
Kuroda - BACK FOR 1 YR
Soriano - GONE
Swisher - GONE
Ichiro - BACK FOR 1-2 YRS
Martin - BACK FOR 1-2 YRS
Pettite - BACK FOR 1 YR
Rivera - BACK FOR 1 YR
Chavez - GONE
Ibanez - GONE, MAYBE 1 MORE YR
Jones - GONE


As of right now the Yankees are set at a good portion of their positions:
C: ? - MARTIN FOR 1-2 YEARS, THEN GARY SANCHEZ HOPEFULLY
1B: Tex
2B: Cano
3B: Rodriguez (whether you like it or not he will be there) - HE SURE WILL
SS: Jeter
LF: Gardner - HOW LONG DEPENDS ON TYLER AUSTIN'S DEVELOPMENT
RF: ? - TORII HUNTER FOR 1-2 YRS, THEN GRANDERSON MOVES
CF: Granderson - FOR 1-2 YEARS, THEN MASON WILLIAMS

Bench:
Stewart (C) - REPLACED BY ROMINE
Nunez (SS) - YEP, IF HE CAN BECOME AN OVERALL SMARTER PLAYER
Nix (Util) - INTERCHANGEABLE/REPLACEABLE



SP: Sabathia
SP: Hughes
SP: Nova - I HAVE A FEELING HE'LL BE TRADED, WILL THEY GO FOR LOHSE?
SP: ?? - PETTITTE FOR 1 YR WHILE BANUELOS AND/OR PINEDA REHABS
SP: ?? - KURODA FOR 1 YR, THEN ?? (MAYBE TY HENSLEY?)

Bullpen:
Robertson - CLOSER IN WAITING
Chamberlain
Logan
Aardsma
Phelps
Rapada

Adam Warren, Mark Montgomery & Betances will also get shots to make the 'pen, but Betances has a long way to go to regain his status as a top organizational arm. Most of their top prospects are in the lower levels, so a lot of moves are dependent on their development. Can Gumbs be an everyday 2B if Cano leaves/signs a shorter deal? Can Culver push Jeter to DH within 2-3 years? Can Slade Heathcott stay healthy enough to push for a full time MLB job in 2014? Lots of questions, but I'm anxious to see these guys actually get a shot in pinstripes for once.
I would say 95% chance that they WILL NOT go for Lohse as he will be too expensive and they don't need to overpay for a guy like him. Hunter also will not be in pinstripes unless he signs a 1 year deal.
Ichiro is a much better option than Hunter. Granderson should be traded now. Many of your statements are about 2014 and after not next year. Heatcott, Culver, Austin, Gumbs, Betances, Banuelos, Sanchez, Bichette etc. are all irrelevant this year. Moves that they make this offseason are not necessarily based on their development. Next year they will be closer and most moves will be dependent on the prospects but this year most of the yankees system is far from contributing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees_Pride View Post
Swisher will be back
Chavez will be back
As far as catchers go we have a plethora Martin, Sanchez, and Romine.
As far as pitchers go we have a bunch as well Pineda, Bentances, Warren and a few more.
Swisher WILL NOT be back. You are hallucinating if you think that. Chavez maybe not a big issue though. we DONT have martin. Sanchez is far from ready and Romine is not an everyday catcher yet.
Pineda isn't going to be ready till june or july, betances has horrible control and Warren is just an average 4-5 starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKilnWalkr View Post
Kuroda, Soriano and Swisher turned down their 13.3 million dollar offers.
As expected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengoblin782 View Post
I hope Kuroda and Swisher try and renegotiate a new contract.
I hope that Kuroda does but not Swisher. The Yankees won't sign him. 100%.
Completely agree!
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
SportCardBuffet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: \/irgina
Posts: 9,744
Default

Swisher needs to go as well as Texiera, we need someone fresh on 1B
__________________
Actively Taking Consignments, PM For Details!
Watch Me Break Live On Ustream
Watch Me Break Live On BreakersTV
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportCardBuffet View Post
Swisher needs to go as well as Texiera, we need someone fresh on 1B
I would love for Tex to go but realistically that ain't happening. There was a rumor about the dodgers attempting to acquire CC, Tex, and Rodriguez before they went to the Sox to pick up the other 3. I think that we should've hopped on that and sent them off even if we didn't get a ton back.
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
charnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
Pierzynski would be too expensive. Pineda isn't coming back till June or July and would need some time to adjust back to throwing again so we shouldn't expect him till late july or august.


Doubt he will contribute much this year.
Agree with all that, do not want, AJ, g-d punk, he is. Plus, he would be too expensive and/or want more years.


Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
I would say 95% chance that they WILL NOT go for Lohse as he will be too expensive and they don't need to overpay for a guy like him. Hunter also will not be in pinstripes unless he signs a 1 year deal.
Ichiro is a much better option than Hunter. Granderson should be traded now. Many of your statements are about 2014 and after not next year. Heatcott, Culver, Austin, Gumbs, Betances, Banuelos, Sanchez, Bichette etc. are all irrelevant this year. Moves that they make this offseason are not necessarily based on their development. Next year they will be closer and most moves will be dependent on the prospects but this year most of the yankees system is far from contributing.
I hope they don't go after Lohse, but those are the guys they've been know to pursue in the past. After hating him for so long on Minnesota, he was a pleasant surprise on my fantasy team this year, but in pinstripes? No thanks.

And yes, a lot of statements are long term ones, but with the austerity plan being put in place, Cash is basing his decisions this offseason, on those long term kids more than ever. He never really liked Montero as an everyday players, regardless of the hype, and I think he really wanted to see these guys through for once. Which is why I think he will do Hunter at 2 years/12 mil tops (which isn't too bad a deal, and is a tradeable contract should the need arise.) i'd rather it be 1 year, but we'll see who blinks first if it comes to that. Torii's a great clubhouse guy, and could potentially bring Swisher-like numbers next year at a 9-mil discount.

Ichiro also has 2 years left... tops. perfect stopgaps for the williams/austin/heathcott/santana.

and as far as the long term rotation goes, don't sleep on Jose Campos. he might just end up being the crown jewel of the Pineda/Montero trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
Swisher WILL NOT be back. You are hallucinating if you think that. Chavez maybe not a big issue though. we DONT have martin. Sanchez is far from ready and Romine is not an everyday catcher yet.
Pineda isn't going to be ready till june or july, betances has horrible control and Warren is just an average 4-5 starter.
Agree with all that... Phelps turned into an effective bullpen arm (remember Aaron Small?) and I think Warren can play that role as well if need be. Betances I just want to pull it together so my Bowman Blue Refractor RC auto has some value to it in the future!
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
bronxbomber33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,324
Default

Swisher is gone, he just does not fit right now with the way the yankees want to go and the same with soriano. Kuroda will be back (hopefully) and we will begin to build up our farm system and with the mentality of cutting payroll bring up some of the young talent they already have in a couple of years.
__________________
http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/bronxbomber33/

2014 IP Auto's: Cards-474, 8x10's-16, ROMLB-3
bronxbomber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
natbornkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: bkNY
Posts: 14,729
Default

martin must not be resigned
he bats his weight
and if the lineup start slumps it equals a few 1 2 3 innings per game

swishers got to go too maybe chis olds can hire him at beckett
__________________
this one goes out to some of the members
http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?title=dee-dee-dee-song&videoId=72779

:jedi::jedi::jedi:

Last edited by natbornkiller; 11-09-2012 at 11:51 PM.
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 357
Default

I thought they signed Soriano (a couple years ago) as a setup man and then eventually to take the place of Mo for when he retired...
This was all before he got hurt.. Soriano's got years to go where Mo doesn't have many more seasons especially after getting hurt.. I think he just doesn't want to end his career on an injury...
I think we should re-sign Ichiro!! and let him play RF everyday!
casebusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
RedSoxFan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,250
Default

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Pineda yet?
EDIT: Didn't notice, but he has been mentioned a couple of times

I think he could be a decent 3rd starter
__________________
Baseball- Boston Red Sox, Football- New England Patriots, Basketball- Boston Celtics & OKC Thunder, Hockey- Boston Bruins
Looking for Tom Brady Flawless
RedSoxFan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan28 View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Pineda yet?
EDIT: Didn't notice, but he has been mentioned a couple of times

I think he could be a decent 3rd starter
I think he could be a solid 2 if he gets his velocity back up but hes not expected till June at the earliest and probably later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casebusters View Post
I thought they signed Soriano (a couple years ago) as a setup man and then eventually to take the place of Mo for when he retired...
This was all before he got hurt.. Soriano's got years to go where Mo doesn't have many more seasons especially after getting hurt.. I think he just doesn't want to end his career on an injury...
I think we should re-sign Ichiro!! and let him play RF everyday!
Ichiro should be number 1 option for RF. Soriano does have years to go but he is going to be very expensive and not worth it with the 189 mil threshold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
martin must not be resigned
he bats his weight
and if the lineup start slumps it equals a few 1 2 3 innings per game

swishers got to go too maybe chis olds can hire him at beckett
I 100% agree with Swisher. But if Martin can be brought back on a 1 year deal for 5 or 6 mil then I am all for it. He can call a very good game and is a good enough hitter to bat 9th in our lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbomber33 View Post
Swisher is gone, he just does not fit right now with the way the yankees want to go and the same with soriano. Kuroda will be back (hopefully) and we will begin to build up our farm system and with the mentality of cutting payroll bring up some of the young talent they already have in a couple of years.
Agree with everything you just said I really hope Kuroda comes back but anything 3 years or over isn't worth it.
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnick View Post
I hope they don't go after Lohse, but those are the guys they've been know to pursue in the past. After hating him for so long on Minnesota, he was a pleasant surprise on my fantasy team this year, but in pinstripes? No thanks.

And yes, a lot of statements are long term ones, but with the austerity plan being put in place, Cash is basing his decisions this offseason, on those long term kids more than ever. He never really liked Montero as an everyday players, regardless of the hype, and I think he really wanted to see these guys through for once. Which is why I think he will do Hunter at 2 years/12 mil tops (which isn't too bad a deal, and is a tradeable contract should the need arise.) i'd rather it be 1 year, but we'll see who blinks first if it comes to that. Torii's a great clubhouse guy, and could potentially bring Swisher-like numbers next year at a 9-mil discount.

Ichiro also has 2 years left... tops. perfect stopgaps for the williams/austin/heathcott/santana.

and as far as the long term rotation goes, don't sleep on Jose Campos. he might just end up being the crown jewel of the Pineda/Montero trade.
I think that Campos will be very good and hopefully he can stay healthy. Torii will get a deal worth at least 20 mil over 2 years or more. The yanks should stay away on a 2 year deal. Ichiro can come back on one year and thats a better deal. Heathcott should be ready after next year with williams and austin hopefully ready the years after. I think the one thing that has to happen is that we trade Granderson.
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 17,759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
I have seen the Cubs and the Sox covered on specific threads about their offseasons, however I wanted to make one about the Yankees.

Now I would love for this to be a discussion for Yankees fans as well as other teams fans to come and talk about the Yankees. I hope that this won't turn into a "I hate the Yankees and only the Yankees and anything they do is stupid" type of thread with obnoxious off topic comments.

Now on to the discussion

In my view the Yankees have a large problem with the way that their team is constructed. In the past they would sign anyone who they wanted in order to attempt to win the WS. This really never worked and they have spent numerous dollars on free agents that haven't done anything (Wright, Brown, Pavano, Igawa, etc.) Now this offseason they have 13 free agents from the team that finished the season as AL Champ runner ups.

The biggest names are of course:
Kuroda
Soriano
Swisher
Ichiro
Martin
Pettite
Rivera
Chavez
Ibanez
Jones
and of course a few others.

As of right now the Yankees are set at a good portion of their positions:
C: ?
1B: Tex
2B: Cano
3B: Rodriguez (whether you like it or not he will be there)
SS: Jeter
LF: Gardner
RF: ?
CF: Granderson

Bench:
Stewart (C)
Nunez (SS)
Nix (Util)



SP: Sabathia
SP: Hughes
SP: Nova
SP: ??
SP: ??

Bullpen:
Robertson
Chamberlain
Logan
Aardsma
Phelps
Rapada

So they are looking for C, RF, SP, SP, Bullpen, 4th Outfielder, Backup 1B

Most of these are not incredibly difficult to fix
Resign Kuroda 2 years
Resign Ichiro 1 year
Resign Pettite 1 year
Resign Rivera 1 year

That leaves a hole at only catcher, backup 1B, and a 4th outfielder.

Finding the backup 1B and the 4th outfielder can be done on the cheap or through the farm system.
Finding a catcher will be difficult and I'm not exactly sure how I would like the Yankees to go about it.


Basically I think that the next year will be another year of 90+ wins and then a burnout in the playoffs. The Yankees are too old. However they do have a very solid farm system and once Mason Williams, Gary Sanchez, Heathcott, etc. can reach the majors the Yankees will be much better off.

Lemme know what you guys think! I couldn't type all my thoughts but I will definitely respond to all the comments posted as long as they are on topic!

Thanks guys!
Would like to see how jeter returns...at almost 40 his days now with his ankle and starting are about done... he will end up DH... Ibanez.. almost 40, Pineda, CC two solid 1/2 guys maybe traded Joba or Hughes for some younger pitching... Pettite...old, Mariano we'll see there just seems to be a ton of ?'s and no answers until spring to see how they rehab
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
Would like to see how jeter returns...at almost 40 his days now with his ankle and starting are about done... he will end up DH... Ibanez.. almost 40, Pineda, CC two solid 1/2 guys maybe traded Joba or Hughes for some younger pitching... Pettite...old, Mariano we'll see there just seems to be a ton of ?'s and no answers until spring to see how they rehab
Yeah I think that jeter can get through this year although DH for plenty of games is 100% likely. Ibanez won't be back. Pineda won't be back till julyish so don't count on him as a #2. I'd like to see Hughes for the first half of the season and then see where he is at before thinking about a trade. Joba has very little trade value.

There are not a "ton" of questions with no answers for this team. This is more than likely the last year for pettite and mo. Jeter is going to start heading downhill after this year more than likely.
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
JohnAndrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ZOO York!
Posts: 5,593
Default

Make Cervelli fulltime catcher and put Joba back in the rotation. Please. I'm almost more than half-serious.
__________________
Fan of the Yankees and Syracuse Hoops.
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 235
Default

Unfortunately for me, the 2013 Yankees will be fine. They will fill the holes they have with solid veterans that want a shot at a title like Eric Chavez, Raul Ibanez, etc.. They once again will be in the playoffs, but not sure if they will make a run at a title or not. The bigger question if I was a Yankee fan would be are these Steinbrenners going to spend money like their father? We will see since they say they want to be under the Luxery Tax threshold by 2014. If that's the case, I don't see how they're going to sign Robinson Cano to a 7-10 year contract at $20+ million per season that he will seek. Cano would be the 4th player on the roster making over 20 million and I don't see how an organization can keep under 189 million when 4 players will make about half of that. Especially since they don't have a lot of major league ready players in the upper part of their minor league system.
Munsonmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California, Oregon
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsonmanor View Post
Unfortunately for me, the 2013 Yankees will be fine. They will fill the holes they have with solid veterans that want a shot at a title like Eric Chavez, Raul Ibanez, etc.. They once again will be in the playoffs, but not sure if they will make a run at a title or not. The bigger question if I was a Yankee fan would be are these Steinbrenners going to spend money like their father? We will see since they say they want to be under the Luxery Tax threshold by 2014. If that's the case, I don't see how they're going to sign Robinson Cano to a 7-10 year contract at $20+ million per season that he will seek. Cano would be the 4th player on the roster making over 20 million and I don't see how an organization can keep under 189 million when 4 players will make about half of that. Especially since they don't have a lot of major league ready players in the upper part of their minor league system.
You bring up some good points. Yes the Yankees of 2013 will be fine. It will be more of this past year basically. They are going to be under the luxury tax threshold in 2014 but what that does is(and what most GM's around the league are expecting them to do) is because of the money they are saving they will more than likely spend big again in 2015 and 2016 using the money they saved. Now with Cano I don't think he will command a 7-10 year deal at 20+. If he does I think the Yankees may not attempt to sign him. A 5 year deal with an option year seems much more likely and that will get done. By 2014 they will having a large amount of high end prospects primed for the bigs so yes by that time they will have plenty of major league ready players in the minors.
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.