Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anybody have any idea what this is?

I got this in a lot I picked up over the summer and have tried researching it, spoke with vintage guys at multiple shows and cannot find out what year this would have came out or where you could have gotten this. I haven't even been able to find another one like it, so idk if it was local or what. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by mikecamp99; 11-11-2012 at 12:59 AM.
mikecamp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Not sure but...

If you haven't checked, it may be part of a game that had a stack of cards as part of it. It's not the Milton Bradley ones but seems similar. Maybe a more regional game.
I can ask one of my card guru buddies on Monday.
Cool card,
VinnyH
Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyH View Post
If you haven't checked, it may be part of a game that had a stack of cards as part of it. It's not the Milton Bradley ones but seems similar. Maybe a more regional game.
I can ask one of my card guru buddies on Monday.
Cool card,
VinnyH
Sweet, that would be awesome!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

It appears to be from a deck of playing cards. I found a set that resembles it (it has the rounded corners but the pictures are quite different) from 1968 but yours appears that it may date earlier.

If you search Killebrew playing cards you will see what I am talking about.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-I don't see it on the PSA master set list, i would try a games expert if no one here can handle it. Appears to be part of a regular deck with notations for playing 'baseball' as well, though i am not familiar with the circle z logo, doesn't match anything or any company i am familiar with.

There is a baseball games yahoo group that might be of assistance as well.

Happy hunting.

lobo_hacker
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
-I don't see it on the PSA master set list, i would try a games expert if no one here can handle it. Appears to be part of a regular deck with notations for playing 'baseball' as well, though i am not familiar with the circle z logo, doesn't match anything or any company i am familiar with.

There is a baseball games yahoo group that might be of assistance as well.

Happy hunting.

lobo_hacker
Thanks! The pic is actually bigger than the card. This thin is maybe a bit bigger than an A&G mini. I thought Z maybe stood for Zenith, though I haven't found anything related.

I have tried tons of google searches but will try to find some groups that have good knowledge on games.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Shot in the dark, but there is someone on the bay. That makes and sells tabacco and vintage looking cards. Almost posotive I've seen the z on those.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

The "Z" symbol is for Zeenut, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

This card is a Zee Nut art card playing card, and although the year is unspecified, it is a modern issue. They have issued these cards from the late 90's untill today, and always feature a vintage player...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

-This isn't a Zee-nut card.They stopped making those in the 1930s and they look nothing like this thing. I don't know who 'they' are in the post above me, but it isn't anyone that actually owns the rights to the actual Zee-nut brand/tradename. Topps made a tribute card awhile back of the actual design, nothing legit since.

*If* someone is making them and calling them that, i'd bank on it being made out of someone's home/garage. Borderline scam, but i suppose no different than paying a friend to make a custom card for your favorite player.

EDIT: After looking on ebay, someone is definitely printing these out of their basement at home and selling them as rare, legit, etc. Despite not being licensed, they are using MLB logos/player likeness on the cards without permission. As theya re makign a profit off of these items, that is naughty. I would not invest in these, get a copy of paint.net or adobe at home, make them yerself.

lobo_hacker

Last edited by lobo_hacker; 11-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
-This isn't a Zee-nut card.They stopped making those in the 1930s and they look nothing like this thing. I don't know who 'they' are in the post above me, but it isn't anyone that actually owns the rights to the actual Zee-nut brand/tradename. Topps made a tribute card awhile back of the actual design, nothing legit since.

*If* someone is making them and calling them that, i'd bank on it being made out of someone's home/garage. Borderline scam, but i suppose no different than paying a friend to make a custom card for your favorite player.

EDIT: After looking on ebay, someone is definitely printing these out of their basement at home and selling them as rare, legit, etc. Despite not being licensed, they are using MLB logos/player likeness on the cards without permission. As theya re makign a profit off of these items, that is naughty. I would not invest in these, get a copy of paint.net or adobe at home, make them yerself.

lobo_hacker
No, they still make Zee Nut cards, many manufacture's of cards from Upper Deck to Kodak Film has made reproductions of Zee Nut cards. I had a Xerox reprint Joe D. last year from a lot I had bought and went through what this poster is going through now...THEY ARE NOT RARE OR ISSUED....
Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnysBench View Post
No, they still make Zee Nut cards, many manufacture's of cards from Upper Deck to Kodak Film has made reproductions of Zee Nut cards. I had a Xerox reprint Joe D. last year from a lot I had bought and went through what this poster is going through now...THEY ARE NOT RARE OR ISSUED....
-I have no godly idea who you think "they" are that are making these. It isn't a copy/repro, they aren't licensed, and they use likenesses and logos that legally they are not supposed to. They've appropriated a name of an old product to use as their own. I'm not talking about UD or Topps in my post above, but specifically the card the OP put out there and the similar ones out on ebay right now.

Upon further research while typing (i multi-task), some nice fella in Scottsdale, Arizona held the trademark for 'Zeenut' until last year for picture cards. That could be the guy making him in his basement. The trademark is currently inactive.

So yes, "they" still made these cards. But "they" seem to have made a slightly higher-quality version of the equivalent of county fair game prizes. Something Bob (or Jeff, in this case) made on his printer at home isn't worth the investment.

My original points still stand, if you like the card enjoy it, but it is not worth much, if any, monetary investment.

Finally, as to your caps-lock spasm, i agree they are neither rare or 'issued' by a legit company. Not sure what all the cyber-yelling was about.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker

Last edited by lobo_hacker; 11-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Damn, sucky that its some dude trying to rape people by making these. I was thinking at the very least it was from a game or apart of a deck of cards.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
-I have no godly idea who you think "they" are that are making these. It isn't a copy/repro, they aren't licensed, and they use likenesses and logos that legally they are not supposed to. They've appropriated a name of an old product to use as their own. I'm not talking about UD or Topps in my post above, but specifically the card the OP put out there and the similar ones out on ebay right now.

Upon further research while typing (i multi-task), some nice fella in Scottsdale, Arizona held the trademark for 'Zeenut' until last year for picture cards. That could be the guy making him in his basement. The trademark is currently inactive.

So yes, "they" still made these cards. But "they" seem to have made a slightly higher-quality version of the equivalent of county fair game prizes. Something Bob (or Jeff, in this case) made on his printer at home isn't worth the investment.

My original points still stand, if you like the card enjoy it, but it is not worth much, if any, monetary investment.

Finally, as to your caps-lock spasm, i agree they are neither rare or 'issued' by a legit company. Not sure what all the cyber-yelling was about.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker
Dude, whatever. I have 30 "Zee Nut Joe Dimaggios" they were giving away with the purchase of ink cartrages a few years ago. I'm not saying they are licensed....Just looks like another knockoff "Zee Nut" sideshoot to me....