Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #126 (permalink)
Member
 
Carrbeaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,719
Default

haha funny, you intentionally choose the sticker autos to try and prove your point...





The prized cards in NT are the oncard RPAs.

Also on Five Star, the bad chipping is also all over the base cards, I suppose they got the players to handle those a bit before they packed them?
__________________
Thanos Super Collector.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.

Last edited by Carrbeaz; 11-14-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Carrbeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #127 (permalink)
Member
 
fitch123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 7,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
haha funny, you intentionally choose the sticker autos to try and prove your point...

The prized cards in NT are the oncard RPAs.

Also on Five Star, the bad chipping is also all over the base cards, I suppose they got the players to handle those a bit before they packed them?
Those "event-used" patches are really nice.

I just did a search of "national treasures auto"

40 of the 50 results on the 1st page are sticker autos.

There are a total of 10 base cards on ebay right now. How are you determining that the chipping is "all over the base cards"?
__________________
fitch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #128 (permalink)
Member
 
Carrbeaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
I just did a search of "national treasures auto"

40 of the 50 results on the 1st page are sticker autos.

There are a total of 10 base cards on ebay right now. How are you determining that the chipping is "all over the base cards"?
Willie Mays 2012 Topps Five Star 21 and Only 80 Made 20 80 A RARE Beauty | eBay

Look at the zoom on the base..

Also Brent Williams tweeted today that people he knew were breaking saying that 95% of the cards had bad chipping issues.

You can wear blinders if you want but there is zero excuse for a $500 per pack product to look like this in any way shape or form.
__________________
Thanos Super Collector.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #129 (permalink)
Member
 
fitch123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 7,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post


The prized cards in NT are the oncard RPAs.
I wonder which one of the 50 jerseys Mark Ingram wore at one time was cut up to make the patch on that card.

Beckett News Players’ use of social media at NFL PLAYERS Rookie Premiere might change things for the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Willie Mays 2012 Topps Five Star 21 and Only 80 Made 20 80 A RARE Beauty | eBay

Look at the zoom on the base..

Also Brent Williams tweeted today that people he knew were breaking saying that 95% of the cards had bad chipping issues.

You can wear blinders if you want but there is zero excuse for a $500 per pack product to look like this in any way shape or form.
No blinders. Just saying this is common with every release that uses thick card stock. If anything, its you who has some thick Panini blinders on.
Attached Thumbnails
Five Star Baseball is live!-ingram-jersey.jpg  
__________________
fitch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #130 (permalink)
Member
 
Carrbeaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,719
Default

Want to excuse this?



Or maybe this?




Lots of new cards listed... and they nearly ALL have bad chipping issues.
__________________
Thanos Super Collector.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #131 (permalink)
Member
 
fitch123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 7,148
Default

This one looks fine to me. We are now using the same sample size. So now I can say all base cards have little to no chipping?

2012 Topps Five 5 Star Nolan Ryan Base 58 80 | eBay
__________________
fitch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #132 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 907
Default

Chipping is an issue, however, if you look at the older Exquisite cards. They all have so sort of chipping issue. On the other hand, NT don't really have the chipping issues.
teambutterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #133 (permalink)
Member
 
fitch123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 7,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Want to excuse this?



Or maybe this?




Lots of new cards listed... and they nearly ALL have bad chipping issues.
Brent Williams ‏@brentandbecca @chrisolds2009 according to everyone I talked to that broke it yesterday 95% of the cards are heavily chipped or dinged due to the stock

Not excusing it. Just saying its common because of the stock, which is why it is common in most (if not all) high end releases. Much like Brent is saying in his above comment.

Topps is going to have a nightmare on their hands when they have to replace or make right on hundreds of high-end hits that are damaged like the above book. Now that is inexcusable.
__________________
fitch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #134 (permalink)
Member
 
Carrbeaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,719
Default

Here is a newly listed search for "2012 Five Star"

2012 Five Star | eBay

People should go take a look before buying this stuff because it is not what you should expect for $500 a pack.
__________________
Thanos Super Collector.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #135 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Here is a newly listed search for "2012 Five Star"

2012 Five Star | eBay

People should go take a look before buying this stuff because it is not what you should expect for $500 a pack.
I'm with you in this one, $450/box and chipping on most of the cards? Ridiculous...
__________________
Tbe.
mt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 AM   #136 (permalink)
Member
 
Carrbeaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt27 View Post
I'm with you in this one, $450/box and chipping on most of the cards? Ridiculous...
no no, like he said, it's not topss fault.. it's the card stocks fault.. silly card stock, don't you know better than to chip like that... why don't you behave..
__________________
Thanos Super Collector.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #137 (permalink)
Member
 
Chaddie84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 6,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
The same thing that comes out of their packs: Garbage.
Quote of the day
__________________
COMC Auto-Accept Set at 20%

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #138 (permalink)
Member
 
fitch123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 7,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
no no, like he said, it's not topss fault.. it's the card stocks fault.. silly card stock, don't you know better than to chip like that... why don't you behave..

Its really a pretty simple concept. If you haven't gotten it by now its not really not worth arguing with you over. You can keep believing Panini is the only company that makes great quality cards and I won't push your buttons with any more troublesome facts.
__________________
fitch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 AM   #139 (permalink)
Member
 
Carrbeaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post

Its really a pretty simple concept. If you haven't gotten it by now its not really not worth arguing with you over. You can keep believing Panini makes great quality cards and I won't push your buttons with any more troublesome facts.
The only good product Panini makes in my mind is NT, that being said, Topps is doing a complete disservice by making the mistake (more than once) in using card stock like this for a $500 per pack release. There is simply no excuse for the shoddy condition of the cards coming out of these boxes.

I feel bad for the sellers who will face chargeback because of the condition of these cards. It's going to happen.
__________________
Thanos Super Collector.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #140 (permalink)
Member
 
Chaddie84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 6,140
Default

Fact: Five Star Baseball has inexcusable condition issues out of the pack. High end, on-card autos can be provided to customers without these issues as it has been done in the past with other products, so don't finger-point.

Fact: Sticker Autos are Lame, especially in High-End Products like NT, but that's irrelevant to the fact that their on-card RPAs do not have consistent condition issues out of the pack.

I don't understand the back and forth argument about two different points. Something needs to be reworked in the production or packaging of this product.
__________________
COMC Auto-Accept Set at 20%

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #141 (permalink)
Member
 
fitch123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 7,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
Fact: Five Star Baseball has inexcusable condition issues out of the pack. High end, on-card autos can be provided to customers without these issues as it has been done in the past with other products, so don't finger-point.

Fact: Sticker Autos are Lame, especially in High-End Products like NT, but that's irrelevant to the fact that their on-card RPAs do not have consistent condition issues out of the pack.

I don't understand the back and forth argument about two different points. Something needs to be reworked in the production or packaging of this product.
Exquisite and UD Black, two of the most popular high-end products of all-time had common chipping issues. Its well known that these thick cards with borders have chipping problems, it doesn't stop the production, consumption or resale of them. If it was "inexcusable" it wouldn't have been the norm for high-end for the last 8-9 years.

Example:
08 09 UD Black Michael Jordan Kobe Bryant Lebron James Garnett Quad Patch Auto | eBay
__________________
fitch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #142 (permalink)
Member
 
Tugarpj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Detroit....well close enough
Posts: 5,336
Default

Man, this sucks but I'm going to flip my 4 cases(prolly at a loss) and lick my wounds. Very disappointed.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #143 (permalink)
Member
 
sux2bu2day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 59
Default

Dang. I sold out a case break and half-sold another. Hope our cards aren't as jacked up as these. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and see some gem mint and pristine-like cards posted. Lol
__________________
Watching group break videos is like watching first-person-view porn, but for card collectors.
sux2bu2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #144 (permalink)
Member
 
fitch123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 7,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sux2bu2day View Post
Dang. I sold out a case break and half-sold another. Hope our cards aren't as jacked up as these. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and see some gem mint and pristine-like cards posted. Lol

from brentandbecca twitter feed:

Randall Bruegge ‏@boogtron
@brentandbecca your acquaintaince say anything about the breaks, from whats up it looks real bad? @TradingCardBlog anyone else have input???

Randall Bruegge ‏@boogtron
@brentandbecca was he happy with what he got or was it a big nono thumbs down?

Brent Williams ‏@brentandbecca
@boogtron overall happy



From what I've seen so far, people breaking it are pleased (despite some obvious condition issues that are being pointed out).
__________________
fitch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #145 (permalink)
Member
 
fitch123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 7,148
Default

Hopefully this baby doesn't come out damaged



or this

__________________
fitch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #146 (permalink)
Member
 
mikecala98's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LI
Posts: 5,866
Default

So Topps releases a ton of pics of hits before they are packed out. None of them have chipping. Is it the packing process that chips every card or is Topps photoshopping the cards they advertise??? Conspiracy!
__________________
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f380/mikecala98/
Unless I specifically say so, I am NOT trading.
mikecala98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #147 (permalink)
Member
 
WhacksPacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,717
Default

That Chipper Jones makes me have a sad....makes me have a very big sad.

That wouldn't grade a 5
__________________
Andrelton Simmons Master Rainbow
http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/WhacksPacks/
Superfractors.com and .net Domains are 4 sale! PM Me!
WhacksPacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #148 (permalink)
Member
 
Metsfan1121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: long island
Posts: 3,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecala98 View Post
So Topps releases a ton of pics of hits before they are packed out. None of them have chipping. Is it the packing process that chips every card or is Topps photoshopping the cards they advertise??? Conspiracy!
Topps doesn't post scans, just digital mock-ups.
Metsfan1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #149 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,919
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

Its a shame, because some of these cards are gorgeous - however, when you can find 1950's cards in better condition, its pretty sad.
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #150 (permalink)
Member
 
Carrbeaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhacksPacks View Post
That Chipper Jones makes me have a sad....makes me have a very big sad.

That wouldn't grade a 5
Chipper Jones needed some chipping...
__________________
Thanos Super Collector.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/397900-five-star-baseball-live.html
Posted By For Type Date
Topps Five Star is Finally HERE! | Sports Cards Uncensored This thread Pingback 11-13-2012 09:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.