Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beckett Grading Ordeal continues, what to do?

I'll start by saying this is probably going to end up being a long read.

In (I think May) I got my first card graded by Beckett in person at a show. One of the two guys at the Beckett table sat down to help me fill the form out. When it was completely done, he asked; "Do you want a minimum grade on this card?" I told him that I did and that if it was not at least a "9", I wanted it in an "Authentic" holder, simply for protection. I watched him write this out on the form.

A few weeks go by and I get the card in the mail....in an "8.5" holder.So, I call them up, explain what happened, they put me on hold for a few minutes and came back saying that this was a mistake on their end, that the form did indeed say "Min 9 or Slab as authentic". They said for my troubles, I could have 2 additional cards graded and could also have the card changed out to the Authentic case. I let them know that I wanted to wait until they were doing in person grading and I would turn the card in at that time.

Last week, Beckett came back to my area and I called them a few days before to confirm that I was still able to get the same deal, to which they said yes of course. When I get to the show, I make the guys (same 2 from the May show) aware of the situation, explain everything and they say that they cannot give me 2 free grades but will take the card back, slab it as authentic and ship it back to me for free.

Yesterday someone from Beckett called my house when I was out and left me a message that said, "We need to speak to you about your order with us." I called up last night and left a message with the person in charge of their grading department. He calls me back about an hour later and I explain everything that had happened to him. He then tells me he's the same guy I left the card with at the show. He said he did not know why someone would be calling me but not to worry as the card had already been shipped and I should get it today.

Today, the card arrives and I notice its in a very small box. I open it up and my card is sitting inside, in a cheap flimsy plastic holder and half of the card is sticking out, wide open. The top right corner is chipped and edge is white and the bottom left corner of the card is pretty badly dinged along with somewhat bad damage to the back left of the card where the edges are raised and pushed back. I called them immediately and asked for the name of the person who is in charge there and get the same name of the guy who has now been in charge of messing my order up twice. I continued to call back until finally someone gave me the name of a person they "were not supposed to". His name is Mark Anderson and supposedly he is the boss of the 2 guys who go out to the shows. I tried to get in touch with that man but the person on the phone said they couldnt give me his number, just forward him my information.

What should I do here?? If anyone has an opinion, I'm all ears. Needless to say, I am irate. Sorry for the long read again, but I know many people here grade tons and tons of cards and I figure many people might know how something like this gets handled and/or who I talk to/go to for help with it all.
MallcopKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

wow that sucks

what card was it?
stera8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Never send anything to get graded....the grading companies are all run by people with the morals (and customer service) of a third-world dictator...do a little research and you can find hundreds of horror stories from dealing with Beckett and PSA.

IMHO, if you absolutely have to get something graded, send it to SGC....they've got the best reputation and customer service.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

It was a cut autograph of Ted Williams.

I almost certainly will not, ever send in another card to get graded.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lawman534

I sent Beckett a rough 57 Jackie Robinson which I had graded at about a 2. I also sent them a 58 Ted Williams which easily should grade at a 6-7. They gave my Jackie a 2.5 which made me happy. They gave my Ted Williams a 4 which made me angry. Of course you never get any explanation as to why. I understand that Beckett has two different graders so my complaint is with Beckett Vintage, but still don't trust them.

They call em trading cards for a reason!
Lawman534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman534 View Post
I sent Beckett a rough 57 Jackie Robinson which I had graded at about a 2. I also sent them a 58 Ted Williams which easily should grade at a 6-7. They gave my Jackie a 2.5 which made me happy. They gave my Ted Williams a 4 which made me angry. Of course you never get any explanation as to why. I understand that Beckett has two different graders so my complaint is with Beckett Vintage, but still don't trust them.

That stinks man! I guess when it comes right down to it, its just someones opinion right? You know you have a nice card, thats all that should count but nowadays people think if you have a card that isnt graded you must be hiding something and its unfortunate that its unlike that. Just like when you get something signed in person and JSA or PSA or anyone else says its "not genuine".
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Keep trying to get a hold of someone and keep pushing until they do something for you. I can't believe the $hit storm they have created for you. How can our order just continue to get more and more messed up! Ugh.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know if you have a camera, but you might consider doing a video telling what happened and showing the card they shipped back to you. Throw that SOB on Youtube and ask people to pass it around. That might get their attention.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Iv definately been taking pics thats for sure. The guy I have been placed in contact with (because the boss apparently refuses to deal with it) tried to tell me today that there was no way the card fit into the box I sent him the pic of.....

Seriously.

They want me to ship the card back and let him "investigate" and if he finds it was their wrongdoing, he will file a claim through their insurance. However, they wont tell me who their insurer is and let me try that on my own. I do want to keep my card and fear that if I send it in, i wont get it back and might only get some money.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry for your bad experience.I would have just left it in the 8.5 slab and moved on, but it's your card.
HYPTZEMDSTRPLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPTZEMDSTRPLES View Post
Sorry for your bad experience.I would have just left it in the 8.5 slab and moved on, but it's your card.

Really....
maxe0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

I would call and ask for Jeremy Murray. He is usually very helpful with problems, but he might be in Chicago for the Sun Times Show.
sportsnutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnutcards View Post
I would call and ask for Jeremy Murray. He is usually very helpful with problems, but he might be in Chicago for the Sun Times Show.
That's actually the guy who this whole thing has centered around. Once i sent pictures after being called a liar, he stopped responding and won't return emails or phone calls.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

can we see scans of the card?

what was the value as well?
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Don't waste your breath, guys. This is a drama over on FCB, and the original poster doesn't want to listen to any advice, he just wants to hold on to his card and have things sent to him.

Don't waste your time in attempting to help Mr. Gibbons - it's a waste of your time and effort, and won't be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Beckett Grading Ordeal continues, what to do? - Page 3
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallcopKJ View Post
That's actually the guy who this whole thing has centered around. Once i sent pictures after being called a liar, he stopped responding and won't return emails or phone calls.
Sounds familiar...except mine was a box of cards they claimed to have not recieved... although it needed sig conf... went through usps filed ins claim and magically my box showed up and was misplaced but they found it...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Scan of the card in question?
messier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxe0213 View Post
Really....
So...the 8.5 slab would somehow kill the value of the card?
HYPTZEMDSTRPLES is offline   Reply With Quote