Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Five Star Chipping Rampant?

Like others, I have been surprised to see how extensive the chipping problem appears to be on the new Five Star cards.

What's happened to Topps' quality control?

michael3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do you guys not look at the football section at all? Five Star or truthfully any other product that has cards this thick (exquisite) have this problem
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
Do you guys not look at the football section at all? Five Star or truthfully any other product that has cards this thick (exquisite) have this problem
Yup.

I love 5-star, but cards this thick (no matter the line or producer) are prone to this.
IndyKMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Aside from reducing the thickness of the cards, is the solution to distribute them in more robust packs or boxes or to encapsulate them, as Topps did with its Tribute cards this year?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael3322 View Post
Aside from reducing the thickness of the cards, is the solution to distribute them in more robust packs or boxes or to encapsulate them, as Topps did with its Tribute cards this year?
no, it happens during the cutting process....... they are mass producing them and if the cutter doesn't cut super sharp and completely clean it leaves chip areas........ the answer would be to use more dense paper, only problem is I think you run into printing problems then, so it's a catch 22.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
no, it happens during the cutting process....... they are mass producing them and if the cutter doesn't cut super sharp and completely clean it leaves chip areas........ the answer would be to use more dense paper, only problem is I think you run into printing problems then, so it's a catch 22.
Yes, I believe they need to replace the blades more often because the thicker card stock wears faster

Define "irony": a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane, to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash -Garland Greene
FavresReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

I wish they would go back to regular sized stock for the autographs. Remember how amazing 2005 Ultimate Signatures were? They were a very nice clean autograph on a regular thickness card and had no chipping. There is a reason the prices went through the roof and now you can't even find the boxes. One of the best high end sets ever IMO.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

This is all very informative. Thanks.
2005 Ultimate Signatures are first-rate. Totally agree.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

As someone who stores his autographs (whether they be cards, photos, etc.) in binders, I can't stand thick cards. Some of these releases over the past few years aren't putting out cards, they're putting out bricks and wallets.
Steve2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKMB View Post
Yup.

I love 5-star, but cards this thick (no matter the line or producer) are prone to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
Thank you.

People who know what they are talking about ^^

Chipping sucks. But its the name of the game in high-end. Even NT has chipping, but is hidden by the white borders used for the cards.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

It's sad that this is being considered the standard norm for high end cards.......
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

I opened a lot of exquisite football and basketball this year...

I did not have one card that was damaged out of 50

So it can be done

product looks very nice

but it is sad that topps can't keep the cards safe

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
Thank you.

People who know what they are talking about ^^

Chipping sucks. But its the name of the game in high-end. Even NT has chipping, but is hidden by the white borders used for the cards.
i can completely understand the issues and that other products do have similar problems.

do you think, seeing as there are major issues other than minor chipping, that some of these issues would have been caught during pack-out or quality control? and if noticed then, would they continue to pack them out?

that is kind of a double sided question because they absolutely had to notice huge dents in the edges of booklets and other cards. yet, they continued to pack them out into boxes.

edge chipping, i can live with on thick stock (ie. Bowman Black Autos) but huge dents and corners folded over, not so much.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
i can completely understand the issues and that other products do have similar problems.

do you think, seeing as there are major issues other than minor chipping, that some of these issues would have been caught during pack-out or quality control? and if noticed then, would they continue to pack them out?

that is kind of a double sided question because they absolutely had to notice huge dents in the edges of booklets and other cards. yet, they continued to pack them out into boxes.

edge chipping, i can live with on thick stock (ie. Bowman Black Autos) but huge dents and corners folded over, not so much.
Yeah as far as the corner and edge damage, that is inexcusable. I'd like to believe that this wasn't present during the packing out process and was possibly caused by insufficient packaging. I'm still waiting to see if this excess damage is a trend or an exception. With release date upon us it will be interesting to see what % of people are unhappy with the condition of their boxes.

I love high-end baseball. Its some of the only stuff I open and collect. Where else can you hope to get a bat plate of Babe Ruth or a dual mlb logo tag auto of Trout or Harper?

As far as chipping goes, I just come to expect it from thick stock cards with dark-colored borders. There are plenty of things wrong with the hobby, chipping on high-end cards of thick stock is pretty far down my list of complaints.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hey guys, I don't buy a lot of high-end, but I did notice something that I hope is a useful contribution here...

Obviously - and what's already been mentioned - is that cutting through the thick stock is the biggest issue with the chipping.

I think it also has to do with whatever surface material is chosen. I have a number of thick Tribute and Tier One cards ('11 & '12) as well as a number of thick low-end 'manufactured patch' cards, and none have that chipping issue. All of those cards have a gloss or semi-gloss finish.

'12 Five Star, from what I've seen in video breaks, has the same super-matte dull finish as both '11 and '12 Inception football, which also (in the examples I've seen personally) has similar looking chipping issues.

I've worked on a lot of jobs involving print, and even thinner stocks with that type of surface suffer when being cut - the top paper layer is just too brittle.

Has anyone else noticed this pattern of gloss/matte card edges?

... and I don't expect an answer... but why does high-end have to equal super-thick card stock these days? A well-designed card in 35-55pt can be just as attractive as one in 130pt. I think '12 Tier One cards are just as nice-looking - if not possibly more so - than Five Star.

bucket - http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/SquirrelyThings/library
Super8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
I wish they would go back to regular sized stock for the autographs. Remember how amazing 2005 Ultimate Signatures were? They were a very nice clean autograph on a regular thickness card and had no chipping. There is a reason the prices went through the roof and now you can't even find the boxes. One of the best high end sets ever IMO.
Agreed.Unless they are patch cards, I don't know why Topps has to make such thick cards for base and plain autographs.Then again, I have some of the semi-thick Topps Tier One autographs, and those are very clean with no chipping.
HYPTZEMDSTRPLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

I would be upset if I bought a box for $450 and the cards will grade only 8 or 8.5 at best (some of the cards look like 7s). Given the importance high-end card collectors put on PSA / BGS slabs, the imperfect condition of the cards is certainly going to lower their sale price. Topps should be innovating new solutions around this, rather than repeating mistakes from years ago.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael3322 View Post
I would be upset if I bought a box for $450 and the cards will grade only 8 or 8.5 at best (some of the cards look like 7s). Given the importance high-end card collectors put on PSA / BGS slabs, the imperfect condition of the cards is certainly going to lower their sale price. Topps should be innovating new solutions around this, rather than repeating mistakes from years ago.
Eye appeal is all that's really important for high end. Grading isn't as big a deal for veteran based products. It may knock off a little bit of the price but a collector is generally not going to care about a .5 difference unless it's Bowman.

My Photobucket: http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/mcgoo2_2008/
mcgoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Looks like Inception Football.... They really need to fix this problem. Five Star football wasn't nearly this chippy. And they did not have consistently horrible corners. WOW!!!! Topps please step your game up on $500 boxes. WOW, AGAIN!!!! Hahaha....
shindo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoo2 View Post
Eye appeal is all that's really important for high end. Grading isn't as big a deal for veteran based products. It may knock off a little bit of the price but a collector is generally not going to care about a .5 difference unless it's Bowman.
Problem is, a lot of the eye appeal is instantly gone when there is even moderate chipping all over the front of the card.
HYPTZEMDSTRPLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPTZEMDSTRPLES View Post
Problem is, a lot of the eye appeal is instantly gone when there is even moderate chipping all over the front of the card.
I totally agree. It looks like a preventable problem that wasn't addressed by Topps when it came to shipping/packaging and that definitely detracts from the enjoyment of the card.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Two words- Museum Collection. That is how you do high end cards

Beautiful cards with some of the most beautiful and durable card stock I've ever seen. That's why I went after the master set.

I have Five Star and was looking forward to it, but am not liking how bad the cards look (condition). Also the relics aren't nearly as nice as Museum Collection.

Topps should do something about it because these are attractively designed cards. Its a pity to see them chipped so badly. I love the Bowman Black autos but alot of times they look horrendous even right out of the pack.
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote