Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Downsizing my colletion: Ebay or COMC?

So, have decided to downsize my very large collection to mainly braves stuff and stuff in my sig.

I was just wondering what everyone thought about eBay vs COMC?

What sells best where?

From what I've noticed Ebay is typically the hottest/newest stuff. Also, after shipping and fees with Ebay it doesn't appear to be as beneficial.

If something sells in the $10 or less range on eBay does it make more sense to just send it to COMC and put the credit towards something you want?

My biggest fear is sending stuff to COMC and it just sitting there and me having to pay for it to sit. But it also doesn't make sense to sell stuff on ebay for really cheap after all the fees, shipping and hassle.

Just looking to see what everyone's experiences are.

Thanks
Buying all past and present Braves (in a Braves Uniform or in their system when the card was made). Also, looking for Falcons and UGA & GT Football Alumni (A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, etc) http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q763/blakesbucketofphotos/ COMC account 800+ cards lowest prices on the site.
btmcrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you are looking to trade go comc. If you need cash and need it quicker go ebay.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Braves are a big market team which helps a lot on when selling on ebay. It all depends on what you have, really. Hank Aaron/Chipper Jones stuff will always fetch a nice price at auction.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh my bad, I thought he was looking to keep his Braves stuff.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anything < 5.00, COMC. Anything > 5.00, eBay.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

COMC's fees seem crazy. $.25 per card to add to the site, Plus shipping it to them???

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/teosdesserts/
teosdesserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teosdesserts View Post
COMC's fees seem crazy. $.25 per card to add to the site, Plus shipping it to them???
the 25 cents seems steep, but when you sell on ebay every single card that you sell costs 30 cents to paypal no matter how cheap so whats the difference really, plus you can't sell cards for $1 on ebay because it's really $3 basically with shipping so even if you end up with 50 cents it's basically 50 cents you didn't have, shipping is negligible if you send a lot
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyno View Post
Braves are a big market team which helps a lot on when selling on ebay. It all depends on what you have, really. Hank Aaron/Chipper Jones stuff will always fetch a nice price at auction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripandlist View Post
Oh my bad, I thought he was looking to keep his Braves stuff.

Yeah I am keeping my Braves stuff everything else is going. I have probably a small u-haul worth of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teosdesserts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout View Post
the 25 cents seems steep, but when you sell on ebay every single card that you sell costs 30 cents to paypal no matter how cheap so whats the difference really, plus you can't sell cards for $1 on ebay because it's really $3 basically with shipping so even if you end up with 50 cents it's basically 50 cents you didn't have, shipping is negligible if you send a lot

See to me if you could move stuff on COMC quickly I think it wouldn't be bad at .25 cents a card. But if it sits is what worries me.

I sold rougly $30-$40 on eBay the last month or so and my ebay fee was like $4.25 for 3? auctions. That doesn't include my paypal fees and shipping expenses.
Buying all past and present Braves (in a Braves Uniform or in their system when the card was made). Also, looking for Falcons and UGA & GT Football Alumni (A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, etc) http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q763/blakesbucketofphotos/ COMC account 800+ cards lowest prices on the site.
btmcrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout View Post
It's really a lifesaver for cards that go for .50-8.00 dollars or so. I just found COMC in September, and in 2 months, I have sent in about 1500 cards, costing me around 400 dollars in fees, however, I have sold 968 dollars worth of cards, and have about 1100 left. It adds up when you send in a lot, and do your research.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
I have sold 968 dollars worth of cards
Is this $968 cash money duckets, or just a big voucher to buy more of THEIR stuff?
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

968 store credit, would probably come to about 800 cash, or 850 in blowout credit.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

I agree with Ajax1723...I was introduced to COMC at the Nationals this year and dumped about 1500 cards there. I have since added 2 batches for another 1500 cards that will be ready for Black Friday at a total cost of around $700 (Including cards submitted at Nationals).

I have cleared that and have several hundred dollars available at this time with an inventory of almost 3k in cards. I plan to set special prices to blow through those hopefully in the next 2-3 months so I can send in my next batch of cards...

I am a huge fan of COMC when it comes to cards $.50-$20.00. I still have several cards of that value on Ebay as well, but they're free insertion at the time and it helps with searches by having a variety of players in your store. Still only less than a year into this hobby turned business, so I will have better numbers to compare next year...Good Luck!

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Are people buying base cards on comc? I have tons of base I'd love to get rid of, but I'm afraid it would just sit there costing me money as opposed to it costing me nothing at home.
jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Comc is the way to go like others have said, you can't really understand how great of a site it is until you try it for a while
Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
Are people buying base cards on comc? I have tons of base I'd love to get rid of, but I'm afraid it would just sit there costing me money as opposed to it costing me nothing at home.
I think it will cost you thew initial .30 per card and if you list it for less than .25 selling you dont pay any fees. 30 cents seems alot to list base cards IMO.
gr8azn is offline   Reply With Quote