Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just got back into collecting, how do I organize?

Hi everyone,

After over a decade of not buying sports cards (I stopped when I was a teenager), I bought a number of hobby boxes recently and i'm hooked again! There are so many treats now available that were not around as much when I was collecting during the 90's (more limited print numbered cards, autos, etc). The only problem is, I am confused as to how to sort my collection. I have about 4000 cards new and old. So I have some questions.

1. What cards do I penny sleeve and/or topload? All of them, even base cards? Just the valuable cards/rookies/inserts/etc? How do you decide?

2. Should I make a seperate box for rookies, a seperate box for base, etc? How do you all do it? And should I organize by year, player, set, what? What's the easiest way?

I do not intend on selling that many cards because I just enjoy collecting, especially rookies, autos/game used, and inserts. Finding a simple and consistent method of organizing is important to me, so I can find cards easier plus I'd rather start now before I accumulate more cards. I also want to make sure I keep my collection as mint as possible. I have already decided I will not use binders as I removed some old cards from binders I had and some cards had bent, despite using BCW pages and keeping it horizontal in a closet.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Lets Go Oakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Go Oakland View Post
Hi everyone,

After over a decade of not buying sports cards (I stopped when I was a teenager), I bought a number of hobby boxes recently and i'm hooked again! There are so many treats now available that were not around as much when I was collecting during the 90's (more limited print numbered cards, autos, etc). The only problem is, I am confused as to how to sort my collection. I have about 4000 cards new and old. So I have some questions.

1. What cards do I penny sleeve and/or topload? All of them, even base cards? Just the valuable cards/rookies/inserts/etc? How do you decide?

The only base cards I'd sleeve are rookies or "First Bowman Chromes" in perfect condition. Other than that, almost all of them are worthless. Protect the refractors, superfractors, autos, relics, etc. with toploaders and handle them as best as you can.

2. Should I make a seperate box for rookies, a seperate box for base, etc? How do you all do it? And should I organize by year, player, set, what? What's the easiest way?

Whatever way you feel you'd enjoy the experience the best. Personally, I take all of my refractors from a certain year and organize them by quality and player value, then autos, then relics, then base rookies, etc... Again, this one's up to you

I do not intend on selling that many cards because I just enjoy collecting, especially rookies, autos/game used, and inserts. Finding a simple and consistent method of organizing is important to me, so I can find cards easier plus I'd rather start now before I accumulate more cards. I also want to make sure I keep my collection as mint as possible. I have already decided I will not use binders as I removed some old cards from binders I had and some cards had bent, despite using BCW pages and keeping it horizontal in a closet.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Breaking premium cards out of the box right now will be tough becasue there's nothing "new" ATM and a lot of the best cards have been collected. However, Bowman Draft is coming out the 28th, so pick up some if you can.

Good luck and have fun!
centereacan06 is online now   Reply With Quote