Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Topps Five Star

Just sent topps a nasty email regarding the quality control, bought a 400/box of cards and every single card was destroyed. Anyone else ever file a complaint
21taylor21-0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Yeah, if you want anything done about it, prepare to jump through hoops. And keep your expectations low as they have as many excuses as crappy baseball cards.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21taylor21-0911 View Post
Just sent topps a nasty email regarding the quality control, bought a 400/box of cards and every single card was destroyed. Anyone else ever file a complaint
I salute you, I just don't have the time to go back and forth with them...as I sit here and stare at my Mike Trout base card #'d 27/80, I think of how great it would be if it was in good shape, but the corners are wrecked...it's a BASE CARD, I keep telling myself, no one signed it/handled it outside of Topps...

I saw their "Five Star Club" as something I'd be interested in, but then saw how it basically restricts members from calling Topps out on issues like the one we have here. The condition of Five Star is worse than Inception Football (never thought I'd say that about anything being worse than Inception).
Mattsurewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I don't give a #@#@#@#@ about the condition of these cards, there are great values to be had
mdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Topps looks at the email and laughs.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I ended up busting 2 boxes and I was lucky with the results. Minor chipping on a couple cards. I knew it was going to be rough going into it, but OP is correct. For the price of these cards to bust, quality control was horrible. Topps will not do anything to make it right in my opinion.
babyfaceposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21taylor21-0911 View Post
Id rather have roughed up cards that the players actually held with an on card auto than pristine cards with stickers. Anyway if you made this purchase recently you should have known about the issues with 5 star from all the previous complaints on here over the last 2 weeks.
crazycards1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycards1981 View Post
Id rather have roughed up cards that the players actually held with an on card auto than pristine cards with stickers.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

The problem is a quality and management issue. The cards had problems and they were packed knowing this was an issue. I find it hard to believe that no one raised their hand and said we have an issue and should correct them. If this was a machine error and we could fault the process of testing equipment and packaging but this group was hand packed... My assumption is that they knew they had a problem but did not have time to correct the problem and let the cards go... I will never buy this product again...
Howelltw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycards1981 View Post
Id rather have roughed up cards that the players actually held with an on card auto than pristine cards with stickers. Anyway if you made this purchase recently you should have known about the issues with 5 star from all the previous complaints on here over the last 2 weeks.
Would you say the same thing for Bowman Chrome prospect autos? People complain enough as it is about the centering. Lets add some dinged corners and rough edges to it too. But hey it's an on card auto so who cares.
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
Would you say the same thing for Bowman Chrome prospect autos? People complain enough as it is about the centering. Lets add some dinged corners and rough edges to it too. But hey it's an on card auto so who cares.
Just my opinion but it's OK if we differ.
crazycards1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

can you post pics of the cards. i opened two boxes as well and i had hardly no damage. so i dont know how you can say destroyed. not like they ran them thru the mud and packaged it
If we do a deal please remember to leave feedback
chrisxacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

I own over 100 five star cards now and can say most of the noticeable damage is on the brown bordered cards. Those that are blue are in much better condition overall. Even with the damage I still love these things. Only opened one of my 4 cases so far but will eventually open the other 3. Been picking up some great deals on singles. Edit: I agree...shame on Topps though for not correcting the issue before releasing them. They'll have a long road ahead to sell a run next year.

Last edited by Tugarpj; 11-29-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

That is the hardest part to swallow.. They had to see this issue when being packed... I also don't think they had a lot of good hits... I think if Luis Tiant signs again for another set I may switch to Cabbage Patch kids.
Howelltw is offline   Reply With Quote