Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #651 (permalink)

so whats the estimated value on that super?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #652 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFcollector View Post
so whats the estimated value on that super?

:Peyton:
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #653 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
Damn, I'm really glad that I didn't bid on any of the Plawecki lots. The base through blue chrome lot probably got a ton of cards in the end (not that I'd want that many cards), but the auto lots seemed to be about the same value as picking them up individually. And the high end base chrome lot struck out.

I had dreams of all the awesome cards that would be pulled and seeing the results really puts it into perspective. Yeah some people made out really well here, but a lot of people really struck out, even with 50 cases worth of the stuff. In the end, seems like buying singles is still the best way to go in most situations for picking up certain players. If you're gonna bust stuff for the thrill then that's all good, but hoping for a certain player is gonna leave you dissapointed 99% of the time...
Thankfully, that did not hold true for the Plawecki auto slots (9 base, 6 Ref, 1 Gold & 1 Orange). I am def up on both lots, thx Boomo!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #654 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruvydsb View Post
Thankfully, that did not hold true for the Plawecki auto slots (9 base, 6 Ref, 1 Gold & 1 Orange). I am def up on both lots, thx Boomo!
Agree. I killed it overall. I'm wondering perhaps if the big loser's lost due to poor understanding and lack of knowledge?
2013 BOWMAN DRAFT
Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #655 (permalink)

hope people don't get bright ideas to try this with upcoming products, it absolutely crushes the value/resale the more cases people break.
Collecting Carlos Correa / Byron Buxton / Manny Machado / Bryce Harper / Mark Appel / Kris Bryant (lower end stuff & bgs slabs) Basketball: Blake Griffin / Derrick Rose / Paul George / Damian Lillard Football: Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson
Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #656 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
hope people don't get bright ideas to try this with upcoming products, it absolutely crushes the value/resale the more cases people break.
^^^

My Andrew Heaney gold auto (only one ending Thursday night, consensus best left-hander in the draft) sold for $42. Seen several other gold and orange autos go for way less than I thought they would. I can't help but think the huge break had some effect on it.

~~~~~~ GREG MADDUX - On-Card Autos in Braves Uniform ~~~~~~
~~~~~~ ALEX WOOD - 2013 Bowman Chrome/Draft Color (#/25 or less) ~~~~~~
~~~~~~ JORDAN SCHAFER - 2008 Bowman Chrome / 2009 Topps Chrome Autos & Color ~~~~~~
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #657 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Agree. I killed it overall. I'm wondering perhaps if the big loser's lost due to poor understanding and lack of knowledge?
I think of it as, in my case, no barnum gold or better autos hit IN SPITE OF my poor understanding and lack of knowledge
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #658 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
^^^

My Andrew Heaney gold auto (only one ending Thursday night, consensus best left-hander in the draft) sold for $42. Seen several other gold and orange autos go for way less than I thought they would. I can't help but think the huge break had some effect on it.
so maybe now that the break is over/almost over people that got shut out on their risky lots will start buying up singles.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #659 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfatty View Post
so maybe now that the break is over/almost over people that got shut out on their risky lots will start buying up singles.
i see what you are saying, but if boomo's break had any effect on the singles market, it was minimal. the only ones it would effect were those involved in the break and that's if they had all their hobby money wrapped up in the break. very minimal.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #660 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markakis8 View Post
i see what you are saying, but if boomo's break had any effect on the singles market, it was minimal. the only ones it would effect were those involved in the break and that's if they had all their hobby money wrapped up in the break. very minimal.
50 cases worth of cards is a drop in the bucket. what boomo broke wasnt even 1% of production.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #661 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
50 cases worth of cards is a drop in the bucket. what boomo broke wasnt even 1% of production.
bingo this break had nothing to do with the current prices. The economy sucks right now. People don't have extra money due to the holiday season. Baseball isn't on people's minds. These are just some of the reaons not because a guy opened 50 cases.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #662 (permalink)

Economy is in the tank (still), but more importantly - it's the offseason. People are buying football / basketball right now.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #663 (permalink)

It's the offseason--prices are always lower than in season
It's right around the holidays--discretionary income usually goes elsewhere
Economy still isn't great--same as above

Boomo's 50 case break, less than 1% of the BDP print run, has very little impact. Now maybe it takes a buyer out of the market on some of the players (Russell for instance), but overall, it shouldn't effect anything too much
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #664 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredsox89 View Post
It's the offseason--prices are always lower than in season
It's right around the holidays--discretionary income usually goes elsewhere
Economy still isn't great--same as above

Boomo's 50 case break, less than 1% of the BDP print run, has very little impact. Now maybe it takes a buyer out of the market on some of the players (Russell for instance), but overall, it shouldn't effect anything too much
I thought 5000 cases hobby produced this year, is almost 10% of the total hobby run. I'm not sure how many Jumbo, but it couldn't make it down to 50 cases Hobby being less than 1% could it?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #665 (permalink)

50 is 1 percent of 5000
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #666 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugarpj View Post
50 is 1 percent of 5000
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #667 (permalink)

Quote:
^^^

Thank you!

But I think it's simply the off season, and holiday time...I know personally, I'v e been trying to NOT buy becasue it is the holidays, but sometimes I just can't resist...that's how I ended up with your $42 gold Heaney...

Don't think Boomos break has any effect at all on the market...not even a little...
Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #668 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa1373 View Post
Thank you!

But I think it's simply the off season, and holiday time...I know personally, I'v e been trying to NOT buy becasue it is the holidays, but sometimes I just can't resist...that's how I ended up with your $42 gold Heaney...

Don't think Boomos break has any effect at all on the market...not even a little...
Hey, I know you! lol

Nice win.

~~~~~~ GREG MADDUX - On-Card Autos in Braves Uniform ~~~~~~
~~~~~~ ALEX WOOD - 2013 Bowman Chrome/Draft Color (#/25 or less) ~~~~~~
~~~~~~ JORDAN SCHAFER - 2008 Bowman Chrome / 2009 Topps Chrome Autos & Color ~~~~~~
Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #669 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
While I agree some won some lost...99% is a LOT aggressive.
Oh, I wasn't clear what I meant. I was thinking more like buying boxes or even cases hoping for a single player, not a slot in 50 cases. I'd considered buying Mets slots in some BDPP case breaks hoping to hit Plawecki stuff, but it doesn't seem at all worth it to me now after seeing exactly what was pulled out of 50 cases of the stuff. Just way too much risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruvydsb View Post
The base-blue auto lot you made out well on, but the other one didn't seem that great to me. One gold and one orange, with completed sales of $43 and $48 on ebay for those cards where the slot went for $72.56 + whatever the shipping was. So maybe up about $20, but those are initials sales of those cards, which I'd expect to go down as December goes on. Just seems meh to me. Now in the long run if Plawecki does well then it's going to be awesome, and there was always the chance at something more, so maybe it's worth it to people. I guess I'd just rather be patient and try and find good deals on singles though. I know you don't regret anything, which is awesome, but I have a feeling there are a lot of people out there that ARE regretting buying their slots.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #670 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
Oh, I wasn't clear what I meant. I was thinking more like buying boxes or even cases hoping for a single player, not a slot in 50 cases. I'd considered buying Mets slots in some BDPP case breaks hoping to hit Plawecki stuff, but it doesn't seem at all worth it to me now after seeing exactly what was pulled out of 50 cases of the stuff. Just way too much risk.

The base-blue auto lot you made out well on, but the other one didn't seem that great to me. One gold and one orange, with completed sales of $43 and $48 on ebay for those cards where the slot went for $72.56 + whatever the shipping was. So maybe up about $20, but those are initials sales of those cards, which I'd expect to go down as December goes on. Just seems meh to me. Now in the long run if Plawecki does well then it's going to be awesome, and there was always the chance at something more, so maybe it's worth it to people. I guess I'd just rather be patient and try and find good deals on singles though. I know you don't regret anything, which is awesome, but I have a feeling there are a lot of people out there that ARE regretting buying their slots.
I view them combined and consider the Orange sale an aberration. He is PC so I am not selling anyway. Also, if I bought all those autos individually the shipping would have been much higher. I paid $13 shipping for both auto slots and base chrome slot. For a PC guy, the 50 case break was incredible.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #671 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Feel free to say hi to him over on FCB. He goes by "David Anthony" there. You may find him railing against the evils of blowout, Houdini, or perhaps, one of his favorite targets, yours truly.

OH my.
Mr. Fists of Fury is David Anthony?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #672 (permalink)

Quote:
^^^

These cards are selling at very low prices. It's hard to justify the $60 dollar price tag on a box when case hits are selling for just around 70% of that.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #673 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
These cards are selling at very low prices. It's hard to justify the $60 dollar price tag on a box when case hits are selling for just around 70% of that.
It's hard to justify buying any box of cards, too small of sample size. You'll "win" some and lose most.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #674 (permalink)

I just looked at the list from the link provided for the player tally case breakdown. Am I missing something or was there really not a single Harper Rookie Autos in this break?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #675 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
It's hard to justify buying any box of cards, too small of sample size. You'll "win" some and lose most.
This is true. I'm just saying, with this particular product, it doesn't appear that there is the slimmest chance of winning on a box, case or even 10 cases. Even the jumbo patches (~1:10 cases) will not make up for the cost of half a case.
Closed Thread