Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #676 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
These cards are selling at very low prices. It's hard to justify the $60 dollar price tag on a box when case hits are selling for just around 70% of that.
Yep the bottom is about to drop out of this stuff for now. What happened to the "Codes will keep it high" guys?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #677 (permalink)

Its a prospectors market, buy low and sell high once the season starts.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #678 (permalink)

I got a case for $625- wondering if I should just sell (even if I take a small loss) due to all these horrible breaks I'm seeing and spend the money on singles. Doesn't look to be too fun of a break and I didn't do well in Boomo's break. Only 2 refractor autos, 10 base, and 0 blue in 50 cases of paul blackburn. I thought $130 would be a steal turned out to be a waste. At least I got a gold and orange auto and only paid $80 for that lot.

I am surprised at how cheap all of the singles are selling for- even for the bigger players. This isn't the high time of year but still these are the first autos for a few big names.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #679 (permalink)

boomo isn't the only one who broke alot of cases, there are now tons of people trying to do it, maybe not 50 cases, but you add up all the people buying multiple cases and it crushes the prices, there are just too many cards for the market that's involved. there is only X amount of dollars to go around in any given market. cards are no different. if you compare sale totals you could see it.

I agree the economy is bad, but one thing I noticed is where you have for example basketball like hoops, low end, you can sell the rookies of that easily because not many people broke it in DROVES..........

if someone sells you stacks & stacks of a prospect how many are you really going to buy? I just don't believe people buy infinite amounts of the same cards.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #680 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
boomo isn't the only one who broke alot of cases, there are now tons of people trying to do it, maybe not 50 cases, but you add up all the people buying multiple cases and it crushes the prices, there are just too many cards for the market that's involved. there is only X amount of dollars to go around in any given market. cards are no different. if you compare sale totals you could see it.

I agree the economy is bad, but one thing I noticed is where you have for example basketball like hoops, low end, you can sell the rookies of that easily because not many people broke it in DROVES..........

if someone sells you stacks & stacks of a prospect how many are you really going to buy? I just don't believe people buy infinite amounts of the same cards.

Pretty much none of the cards from large breaks have made it to the secondary market yet. Not only does it take a while to rip, but then there is sorting, packaging, and shipping. Guys who have a quick turnaround should have cards this week, but most probably wont even see their cards until 2 weeks after release.

Now if you are arguing that people invested more into group breaks than into singles therefore driving down single prices because they have spent their money already, you might have an argument.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #681 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotded View Post
Now if you are arguing that people invested more into group breaks than into singles therefore driving down single prices because they have spent their money already, you might have an argument.
that is exactly what I was saying. the buyers who were interested already spent on group breaks instead of just scooping up singles. when you do just 1 auction and get a ton you aren't as active typically and your money is already spent in one spot. Im sure it has driven the card prices down, you've seen it since they have occurred more & more the prices have dumped, eventually you won't be able to make money at the large breaks and it will correct itself. it's pretty close to that now
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #682 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Yep the bottom is about to drop out of this stuff for now. What happened to the "Codes will keep it high" guys?
Yup, everyone was planning on selling these for 2-4 dollars each to cover costs, but as predicted, they are selling for below a dollar. There's just too many of the codes on the market to be of any real value. It's simple economics.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #683 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
It's simple economics.

exactly, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if you break case after case after case sale prices will fall.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #684 (permalink)

Quote:
exactly, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if you break case after case after case sale prices will fall.
This is exactly what happened to Five Star when there was literally 10 of the SAME card ending within thirty minutes of each other. It took me over an hour just to scroll through all of the auctions a couple Saturdays ago. I got some of these singles dirt cheap, and this has happened again with this product. I'm not complaining by any means though. I hope to make some serious cash come baseball season.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #685 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Maybe I am wrong - admittedly I do not prospect much - but I am picturing several prospectors grinning ear to ear reading the last few pages of this thread.

If you are trying to make your money from a baseball draft product by selling in December, you might want to stick with something like Topps S1.

If you are trying to gauge code card market prices before the codes go live... nevermind.

Prospectors are buying the cards that you are listing now. Then they are going to sell them during ST (or they will hold them even longer).

Code cards always sell low before they go live. It is a combination of saturation and the fact that the codes do not work yet. Once the promotion begins, the codes will rise - just like every single code card promotion in baseball the last 2 years. If the promotion is a good one, the cards could easily see $4, but if the promotion is lame or the Blue Wave packs are extremely tough pulls, the prices will drop like the golden giveaway.

You can blame it on large group breakers or boomo's eBay break... economics... whatever. In the end, it is the exact same pattern that it has been for several years.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #686 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
Maybe I am wrong - admittedly I do not prospect much - but I am picturing several prospectors grinning ear to ear reading the last few pages of this thread.

If you are trying to make your money from a baseball draft product by selling in December, you might want to stick with something like Topps S1.

If you are trying to gauge code card market prices before the codes go live... nevermind.

Prospectors are buying the cards that you are listing now. Then they are going to sell them during ST (or they will hold them even longer).

Code cards always sell low before they go live. It is a combination of saturation and the fact that the codes do not work yet. Once the promotion begins, the codes will rise - just like every single code card promotion in baseball the last 2 years. If the promotion is a good one, the cards could easily see $4, but if the promotion is lame or the Blue Wave packs are extremely tough pulls, the prices will drop like the golden giveaway.

You can blame it on large group breakers or boomo's eBay break... economics... whatever. In the end, it is the exact same pattern that it has been for several years.
Very well put sir.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #687 (permalink)

it's not about the pattern, it's the value's of the pattern...... of course it's the same pattern. large case breakers are putting the other guys out of biz, in a walmart type of fashion, but in baseball cards, they will eventually put themselves out of biz too, until it corrects back. it's not really a big deal, i'm just saying? you might not want to put all your eggs in one basket trying to break 50 cases, it's not a gauranteed money maker, it's a fluctuating market, it will eventually put you out of biz. if there were just 2 or 3 guys that did it this time, boomo's auctions wouldn't have worked the same way. just think about that. it's a recipe for disaster when you do it on that large of a scale, because you can drive the prices into the ground and make nothing on your breaks in the near future. I am in no way telling anyone what to do, more power to you if you want to break a million cases, it's just definately driving the prices down, if you compare the sale totals from previous years etc you'd see it. and you can't really blame it on the economy, the economy isn't that bad.

what your going to end up with is a situation where people can scoop up all these auctions dirt cheap, and control the market, because they can buy so many in bulk they can basically just hold them all and create the value on cards once they get hot. that's good for prospectors, terrible for case breakers..... it will put them out of biz.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #688 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
it's not about the pattern, it's the value's of the pattern...... of course it's the same pattern. large case breakers are putting the other guys out of biz, in a walmart type of fashion, but in baseball cards, they will eventually put themselves out of biz too, until it corrects back. it's not really a big deal, i'm just saying? you might not want to put all your eggs in one basket trying to break 50 cases, it's not a gauranteed money maker, it's a fluctuating market, it will eventually put you out of biz. if there were just 2 or 3 guys that did it this time, boomo's auctions wouldn't have worked the same way. just think about that. it's a recipe for disaster when you do it on that large of a scale, because you can drive the prices into the ground and make nothing on your breaks in the near future. I am in no way telling anyone what to do, more power to you if you want to break a million cases, it's just definately driving the prices down, if you compare the sale totals from previous years etc you'd see it. and you can't really blame it on the economy, the economy isn't that bad.

what your going to end up with is a situation where people can scoop up all these auctions dirt cheap, and control the market, because they can buy so many in bulk they can basically just hold them all and create the value on cards once they get hot. that's good for prospectors, terrible for case breakers..... it will put them out of biz.

How was this terrible for boomo? Numerous people have ran the numbers and he will probably make 10-15k on this.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #689 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotded View Post
How was this terrible for boomo? Numerous people have ran the numbers and he will probably make 10-15k on this.
you didn't read what I typed, I never said it was terrible for boomo, I said it was good for boomo and a great idea, it just won't work if more people start doing it, and that's typically what happens, monkey see, monkey do, I wouldn't be suprised to see 2 or 3 50 cases breaks for the upcoming bowman release etc, now that they know he made money, and it will get cancelled out once that happens. the profit will be gone. somebody with 50 cases on pre-order will be looking mad in the face.

it's great as long as your the only one doing it, profit wise, it still pulls the prices down on stuff all across the board though.

anyone who thinks it doesn't is crazy......... everybody should know the first card sells higher, if you sell the first cards in very high volume of course it's going to drop the price, not only on ebay for singles, but for boxes/cases as well, because the demand drops. look at the box sales, it was on pre-order for cheap, then released and went cheaper, that typically doesn't happen, it usually goes up on release.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #690 (permalink)

Quote:
look at the box sales, it was on pre-order for cheap, then released and went cheaper, that typically doesn't happen, it usually goes up on release.
This is not even remotely true when it comes to Bowman Draft. From your post about there being a retail version of this product to this post, it is abundantly clear you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Last edited by Andrew Jones; 12-04-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #691 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
This is not even remotely true when it comes to Bowman Draft. From your post about there being a retail version of this product to this post, it is abundantly clear you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
so your saying that boxes don't typically go up on release? your saying that they didn't go up last year? first to hit ebay prices aren't higher? what card market do you partake in?

I bought them, I know for a fact they did.

the post about retail is really irrelevant since I posted right then that I didn't know. and corrected it. you should have read the rest.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #692 (permalink)

Quote:
so your saying that boxes don't typically go up on release? your saying that they didn't go up last year? first to hit ebay prices aren't higher? what card market do you partake in?

the post about retail is really irrelevant since I posted right then that I didn't know. and corrected it. you should have read the rest.
I am saying that Bowman Draft boxes typically do not go up on release. They did not go up last year on release. Period.

To be clear, I'm also saying you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to this product.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #693 (permalink)

Quote:

Stick to Basketball bro...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #694 (permalink)

Quote:
I am saying that Bowman Draft boxes typically do not go up on release. They did not go up last year on release. Period.

To be clear, I'm also saying you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to this product.

sure, and why would anyone pre-order if they don't go up??? and never have? what was the price last year then? show us some figures.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #695 (permalink)

Quote:
sure, and why would anyone pre-order if they don't go up???
Because they're idiots who don't know what they are doing? I don't know. I've never pre-ordered any Bowman Draft so someone who has might be in a better position to answer that question. Have you?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #696 (permalink)

Quote:
Because they're idiots who don't know what they are doing? I don't know. I've never pre-ordered any Bowman Draft so someone who has might be in a better position to answer that question. Have you?
didn't pre-order any draft, I pre-ordered regular bowman.... that definately goes up on release.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #697 (permalink)

Quote:
sure, and why would anyone pre-order if they don't go up??? and never have? what was the price last year then? show us some figures.
Cases dropped under $600 per last year in Jan-Feb. And it was the best draft class ever.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #698 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Cases dropped under $600 per last year in Jan-Feb. And it was the best draft class ever.
I didn't say in jan/feb, I said on release date.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #699 (permalink)

Quote:
what was the price last year then? show us some figures.
You're the expert who said Bowman Draft doesn't typically drop after release. How about you show everyone some figures that demonstrate the accuracy of your statements? One of us is right and one of us is wrong so please go ahead and vindicate yourself and prove that I'm the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Unless you're too busy busting 2012 Bowman Draft retail to do that, in which case I completely understand.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #700 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't say in jan/feb, I said on release date.
And I didn't say it didn't drop on release. I was trying to show u just have far it toileted.
Closed Thread