Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio47 View Post
He's on a innings limit. They are probably going to give him 25-30 starts. 180 is probably real close to that limit.
Right. My point exactly. Which means come playoff time, he is on the bench, and you wind up like the Nats - having your best pitcher doing nothing for you in the playoffs while you lose.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
When you pay the guy big $$ ... it's hard to justify him only pitching 70 innings a year.

Chapman's arm will be stronger with preparation as a starter, and he'll probably be on a six inning leash for a while. He'll develop a change-up for a 3rd pitch, and with regular rest, his arm should be A-OK.

The Chapman collection RISES!
This move to SP would make me very nervous as the owner of the Chapman collection. There are some very valid points by several in this thread as to why this has a much better chance of failing than succeeding. Wishing you the best of luck with Chapman and his new role and your collection but wow... this just doesn't seem like a good move at all. Should be interesting to follow though....
jusdukky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusdukky View Post
This move to SP would make me very nervous as the owner of the Chapman collection. There are some very valid points by several in this thread as to why this has a much better chance of failing than succeeding. Wishing you the best of luck with Chapman and his new role and your collection but wow... this just doesn't seem like a good move at all. Should be interesting to follow though....
I certainly didn't buy Chapman autos, hoping he would stay a closer ... there's little value to be had.

This move is something I certainly want. The timing is iffy because next year would have been more to my liking but it is what it is.

Listen, Chapman is not a perfect pitcher by any stretch of the imagination. His fastball will lose a bit of velocity as a result, he has no third pitch ... he'll wear during the game easier which means his control will be questioned ...

But damn will this be exciting. It will be nice to watch a Reds game once every five days, (or maybe twice every five games depending when Cingrani gets his turn in the rotation) rather than have to drudge through 8 innings hoping the Reds are ahead by no more than three!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

I also kind of question where his head is at. He's being sued for $18 million over something that went on in Cuba, driving 90+ on a suspended license in the middle of the night, and spending habits around town said to be enormous on crap like multiple Lamborghinis and other high dollar rides. Then there's the completely bizarre stripper robbery in his hotel room in Pittsburgh.

Yes he's young and he has a big contract but he sure isn't on speed dial with a financial advisor. I've seen it so many times with Bengals players and he sure fits the part.

What concerns me is if things go south I'm not convinced he has the mental make-up to work through it.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
I certainly didn't buy Chapman autos, hoping he would stay a closer ... there's little value to be had.

This. I started picking up Chapman's under the impression that he was possibly going to start last year. He didn't. But he had a REALLY good year.

Chapman is someone I considered my first "prospect" pop - in other words, I was going to gamble a little bit on the guy. I don't have anything high end, but that wasn't the point; I wanted to see what kind of return I could get.

With him now possibly starting, he's either going to light it up, or yanked back to closer. I'm hoping he lights it up.....but this is baseball.....(Todd Van Poppel, Ben McDonald....etc etc)
wickedliquids is offline   Reply With Quote