Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default PC Question

Would you ever collect a player where you know you'll never come close to completing their entire collection, and who others also PC and already own some of their major cards? I have some players in mind I'd like to collect, but am the type of person who likes to complete something I start. Since I know I'll never come close to obtaining all their cards, it deters me from starting (and draws me more to trying for an auto or game used set, which I'm more likely able to complete)

What's the thought process for you guys?
thecardstore99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I PC Ichiro and most of his rare cards are really expensive so I know I am not going to complete any whole collection but it is still fun to see which cards you can get

http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj502/tursillo2011/
tursillo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Man, that is a tough question. I feel like the elusive and "rare" cards are what makes collecting interesting. Especially if you're on a budget. I enjoy the whole process: looking for bargains, negotiating and waiting it out.

I like putting together cheaper O's team sets while I wait out the higher end stuff that I prefer to collect. Like the golden giveaway die-cuts.

Putting together a comprehensive PC of just one player is super ambitious. There are so many cards out there already...
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecardstore99 View Post
Would you ever collect a player where you know you'll never come close to completing their entire collection, and who others also PC and already own some of their major cards? I have some players in mind I'd like to collect, but am the type of person who likes to complete something I start. Since I know I'll never come close to obtaining all their cards, it deters me from starting (and draws me more to trying for an auto or game used set, which I'm more likely able to complete)

What's the thought process for you guys?
My question to you would be what team(s) do you follow? I can't step on a foul line even when I'm walking my dog, so I've had to sell cards I pulled which I really liked because the player was on a rival team.

I like collecting my team and the HOF's from the organization. Collecting current players is tough for me since free agency. Maybe if you go with a guy that's a solid ball player whom you like, but isn't like the trout or harper.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

One of my PCs is Derek Jeter because he is my son's favorite player. There is no way I could ever get every Jeter card, but already have well over 100. Just the fact that it is a never ending challenge I think helps the PC knowing that there is always something to still go after. The chase is always part of the fun, and if the chase were to end the fun would end. Plus how much fun would the chase be if I could get every card for a few hundred (or thousand) dollars and a couple hours on eBay. No fun in that, but that is just MHO.