Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default OK, I need help--Noob Alert

This is probably against the sitE rules, but I am going to put this in the Baseball and Football threads.

So i bought on Black Friday two first boxes of Bowman Platinum, and my first box was a dud. The feedback I received was Bowman Platinum kinda just sucks anyways.

So now I am starting fresh for 2013:

What boxes for like under $200 are the must buys for 2013? I pre ordered two boxes of 2012 Panini Elite Extra Edition..These boxes seem OK right?

I might splurge sometimes and buy a Triple Threads or a Sterling box...Not bragging but money isnt the issue, so the next question on cases, what Baseball Cases do I need for 2013?

Thanks

Last edited by KBDOE; 12-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.
KBDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

When it comes to baseball. very simply. Stick with Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Elite Extra Edition is always a fun break but generally not a good idea to preorder. Panini implements something called MAPP pricing where Panini dictates the price. I don't think they have made a product yet that hasn't dropped from the MAPP price.

What you want just depends on what you're interested in. Vets or prospects?

Edit: Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Draft are what you should go after if you're looking for prospects.

My Photobucket: http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/mcgoo2_2008/
mcgoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

I personally really like EEE, especially when I hit a "hot" box. But I think the staples are Topps, Topps Chrome, and Bowman Draft vice Bowman Chrome.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoo2 View Post
Elite Extra Edition is always a fun break but generally not a good idea to preorder. Panini implements something called MAPP pricing where Panini dictates the price. I don't think they have made a product yet that hasn't dropped from the MAPP price.

What you want just depends on what you're interested in. Vets or prospects?

Edit: Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Draft are what you should go after if you're looking for prospects.
Thanks a lot for responding!!

Yes, Prospects is what I am after.

Isn't the Elite Extra gonna be all about prospects?

Not following you on the Panini pricing? Are you saying that After release, the price will be less than $100?

So for prospects stick with the above mentioned? Isn't "Bowman" just base cards?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBDOE View Post
So for prospects stick with the above mentioned? Isn't "Bowman" just base cards?
Bowman isn't just "base cards." Bowman is Bowman base (paper) with Bowman Chrome prospect and rookie autos. There are paper parallels, Chrome parallels, inserts, supers, plates, etc.

Bowman Chrome is all Chrome cards, with different Chrome prospect and rookie autos.

Draft is Bowman Rookies and Bowman Chrome Draft with Bowman Draft added in.

They are 3 distinct products but there is some crossover and they look alike. They all have parallels, inserts, and "hits."

The best way to get an idea is to go to Youtube and look up some box breaks.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Panini Pricing: Panini started something called "MAAP" pricing awhile back that forced dealers to sell the boxes at a the minimum price for 30 days. For Elite, it is $100. After 30 days, the dealers can sell for less than that. Usually, for elite, it will settle between $65 - $75 a box.

For Bowman, it's not just "base" cards. I will name some 1st chrome autos that were in Bowman boxes just 2012: Gerritt Cole, Anthony Rendon, Josh Bell, Oscar Tavares, Xanger Bogaerts, etc. For older ones, you have Dustin Ackley, Dee Gordon, Profar, Belt, Goldschmidt, Arenado, Rizoo, Teheran, Myers, and etc.

This is the thread that is best for reference: Prospect Autograph Index - The One Stop Prospecting Resource
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Panini sucks for baseball product, seriously. And tay FAR AWAY from Elite Extra. No resale value what so ever compared to everything else. You said you are looking for prospects. Seriously stick with Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman Draft.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
Panini sucks for baseball product, seriously. And tay FAR AWAY from Elite Extra. No resale value what so ever compared to everything else. You said you are looking for prospects. Seriously stick with Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman Draft.
He said money isn't the issue. Obviously it's all opinion but I think busting Elite is more fun than Bowman. Six to ten autographs per box for the same price as one in Bowman.

Elite is pretty much the only product Panini makes that does hold a decent value. Especially considering some players are in Elite that aren't in Bowman yet.

My Photobucket: http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/mcgoo2_2008/
mcgoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
I might splurge sometimes and buy a Triple Threads or a Sterling box...Not bragging but money isnt the issue, so the next question on cases, what Baseball Cases do I need for 2013?

Thanks
If you want to have fun and money isn't an issue, cases of Triple Threads. Lots of hits, less base. It does lack prospects though.

If you want to be safe, get prospects, and get some decent hits then get cases of Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoo2 View Post
He said money isn't the issue. Obviously it's all opinion but I think busting Elite is more fun than Bowman. Six to ten autographs per box for the same price as one in Bowman.

Elite is pretty much the only product Panini makes that does hold a decent value. Especially considering some players are in Elite that aren't in Bowman yet.
I understand what you are saying about the money issue but no one wants to literally throw money down the drain. You may get 6-10 autos per box but those 6-10 autos all together, resale wise will add up to probably only 2 of the autos you will get in Bowman products.

Like you said though it is all opinion anyways.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Great info. Thanks!! You obviously have some strong anti-Panini feelings...That Bad? Wish I got your opinion prior to inking 2 boxes. Oh well. I will try and stick to the Bowman products. I did get the Elite Extra only because it appeared to have players that haven't really been released elsewhere yet.

So do you theoretically buy boxes of Bowman, Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft? When are the typical release dates of each and when is the next release due to come?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

I like to buy cases of those 3 but a lot of people will also go the route of just buying singles of the prospects they like. Ripping is just a lot more fun with the chance of hitting the big one

The release dates are typically about the same. Bowman comes out in early May. Bowman Chrome in the middle of October, and Bowman Draft in the middle of November.

Certain brands are just known for making certain products well and having a good rep within a certain sport. Panini makes some good product within the sport of football but Topps is known as the company that makes the best baseball products.

Last edited by dthimesch; 12-04-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Last question. You say November for the Draft picks. Is it too late to buy boxes?

Meaning should you pre-order or buy these like immediately the day they come out or does it not really matter because there are still going to be sick pulls no matter the time you buy?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ok, so I inked on a box of Bowman Draft. Like I previously asked, do boxes reach a point when they become "stale" and you should stop buying them? The Bowman Draft is new enough so this would still be a desireable box right?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Last question. You say November for the Draft picks. Is it too late to buy boxes?

Meaning should you pre-order or buy these like immediately the day they come out or does it not really matter because there are still going to be sick pulls no matter the time you buy?
Quote:
Ok, so I inked on a box of Bowman Draft. Like I previously asked, do boxes reach a point when they become "stale" and you should stop buying them? The Bowman Draft is new enough so this would still be a desireable box right?
I am not so sure buying Draft pre sale is necessarily the best move. Draft is kind of in a different category because of the time it is released. It is released during the off season so price ALWAYS dips. Prices on cases and boxes have been falling since the day of release already. My guess is draft will be around the $600 mark at some point this winter. Draft will then climb in price a little when spring training start rolling around and the baseball hype starts heating up. Then when 1 or 2 of the guys in the product gets hot the stuff explodes in price.

Buying now is a smart move as it is currently in the state of decline.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I am not so sure buying Draft pre sale is necessarily the best move. Draft is kind of in a different category because of the time it is released. It is released during the off season so price ALWAYS dips. Prices on cases and boxes have been falling since the day of release already. My guess is draft will be around the $600 mark at some point this winter. Draft will then climb in price a little when spring training start rolling around and the baseball hype starts heating up. Then when 1 or 2 of the guys in the product gets hot the stuff explodes in price.

Buying now is a smart move as it is currently in the state of decline.
Can I hire you to be my personal Financial Advisor?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

"My guess is draft will be around the $600 mark at some point this winter.
Buying now is a smart move as it is currently in the state of decline."

OK, so should I assume that I can just buy the straight Bowman Draft in lieu of the Jumbo HTA for $175? I mean over $100 more for that Jumbo why?

Is the difference just more cards in the packs?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
"My guess is draft will be around the $600 mark at some point this winter.
Buying now is a smart move as it is currently in the state of decline."

OK, so should I assume that I can just buy the straight Bowman Draft in lieu of the Jumbo HTA for $175? I mean over $100 more for that Jumbo why?

Is the difference just more cards in the packs?
You also get 3 autos per box in the jumbo's. Usually for products that have Jumbo's you get more autos and the odds of pulling color usually are better but.... With Draft Jumbo's the consensus I believe is that the odds really are not any better of hitting more color. So, that does pose the question. Is Jumbo's really worth that much more? I'm not 100% sure at this point but I'm going to go ahead and say no.