Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Best ways to start a PC

Hey guys-
I am looking to start a PC of the Phillies. What's the best way to start one? I am an eventual college student so money is not exactly always at hand...but when it is, I would like to dedicate some of it to purchasing cards/memorabilia to go towards the PC! How do you guys organize your Pc's??? What do you include? exclude? base? numbered cards? Let me know!
sportscardadict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you need base/inserts of Phillies I sell them for cheap!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

find huge lots of base for cheap and numbered to get it started them get higher end. Thats what ive done with my pc halladay and it has worked out well so far
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

It all depends on what you want. If all you want is Autos/Relics/Numbered then just go for that kind of stuff. The only time I ever need regular Non-Rookie base cards is when I get in person autographs. I have a mix of everything, but one thing I always make sure to do is get a Rookie card of every important Royals player. Some people focus on one player and find like every single card ever printed of them. It's really all up to personal preference.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I keep every regular base card in a seperate box, no matter who it is.

Base rookies/first bowman chromes I keep out, but don't really showcase them.

Autograph, Refractors, Color Base (Blue, Orange, Black, etc...) are the ones to really go for to up your collection.

Also, try to get some other items of the player that may not be cards. Maybe a plaque, signed baseball/bat, program with him on the cover, etc... It definitly spices up the collection and makes it more interesting than just collecting cards.

The way I start is to buy some base rookies/regular refractors, then build it up from there. If you are really looking to focus on your PC, buy individually and not as many boxes. Chances are definitly not in your favor with hobby and jumbo boxes if your looking for something extremely specific.

Good Luck!
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

For people who collect by teams..start out with numbered cards and refractors? Or jump right in to auto and GU?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardadict View Post
For people who collect by teams..start out with numbered cards and refractors? Or jump right in to auto and GU?
Just buy whatever catches your eye. There is too much base to collect if your going to collect a team, only pick up cards you really like when you can.
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I try to buy every card /50 or less I can, including dupes of lower numbered refractors. I keep my collection chrome (bowman for baseball ropps for football) so it makes finding cards I think are desireable a lot easier. Call me snobby but I like to stick to rookie/prospect autos. If you're just looking to have some autos of your favorite people vet cards are usually MILES cheaper. Good luck figuring out your pc man
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would pick something you really like and try to narrow down what you buy. Once you finsih college and get more money to spend you'll realize there is way too much out there if you just buy a little bit of everything.

I was collecting O's Autos/Jerseys. Then I realized there were way too many. So I started to narrow it down to #'d autos/jerseys. Then i realized still way too many. Now when buying autos and jerseys, I try to make them really low #d ones unless it's something that really catches my eye.

Same issue happened when I started collecting refractors. At first I was buying as many as I could of any color better than gold. But once I got 10 gold Adam Jones for almost $100 and realized I could have had a super for that much, I decided that unless I'm prospecting a player, 1 of each color is more than enough.

Figuring out what to PC is a process for sure.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Buy a $50 dollar phillies card.

TRADE DOWN.

Get 5 $10 cards plus a large lot of phillies.

Trade $10 cards for 15 $1 cards of phillies refractors/numbered inserts or anything else YOU like.

Start with the biggest item you can afford and trade down with it. You don't have to follow my plan exactly but in the end you will get the best bang for your buck.

Oh, and PM me your address so I can send you some Phillies cards

171/991 2012 Topps On-Card Autographs
ClevelandIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

It's such a headache haha. There really are way too many cards out there. I remember at one point I was trying to collect the 2008 UD Heroes set..but apparently it's impossible to find that stuff anymore. I will just work on the Phillies..hopefully I will be able to narrow it down asap.

Cleveland- That is quite an interesting way of trading. I will definitely have to try that out at some point!

Newton- That's also a great idea. It's just hard finding out what/ how many numbered cards there are..there's so many sets every year.

Maybe a good way of doing all this would be having a set year..i.e instead of looking for Phillies from 2001 and up..and try to look for Phillies from the 2007 or 2008 sets- present?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Maybe pick a set you like and start with that. I love the Bowman Chrome Rainbows, so that's what I focus on. Even if the super sells, I still try for the poor mans rainbow.

Some people prefer Topps Chrome, so there is another option. With so many color variations, if you try for all colors of all Phillies it should be enough to keep you busy. Especially if you're just buying when funds are available. You will have to pick from what's available at that time.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

For me, being a Phillies fan, I focused initially on the cards from when I was a kid (early 80's Schmidt, Rose, Carlton, etc.) to make up for what I lost. Now I'm starting to get some of the newer players. No complete team sets, just mainly the players I like to follow within the team. I also have some more current stars outside the Phillies to balance out for when I want to do some trades. Start small, it will grow

darklodus
darklodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

IMO, the most economical way would be to start present day and work backwards. Because you'll find the present day stuff quicker than you would a random 2009 card.

Also, I'd say to start out with a larger agenda first, then narrow it down as you move along. For example, when Topps S1 comes out in Jan go after all the base/inserts/parallels/GU/Autos of your PC team.
If at anytime you feel like collecting common base cards or high end inserts or the whole team instead of one player is too much work/money, then you always have trade bait for other PC collectors.
CharlieHustle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thats part of what I was saying. I only collect Bowman Chrome baseball and Topps chrome football with the occasional NT/Contender thrown in. Makes it very easy to keep track of checklists ect. Plus theyre my favorite looking cards too so it works out.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

I will tell you the best way!!! Pm me your address and I will send ya 20 - 30 phillies cards. Most will probably be base but I will try and scrounge up a couple inserts. My motivation......... Houdinis Christmas give away lol. I don't have enough to contribute to that so seen this and PERFECT!!! Shippings on me to buddy, happy holidays
lazygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Figured out I'm going to start off with this:
2012 Topss Chrome- Phillies + Molina lol. Appreciate all your help guys...hopefully within the next couple weeks-couple months I'll be showing off the beginnings of my PC!
Shane Victorino
Jimmy Rollins
Chase Utley
Cole Hamels
Ryan Howard
Cliff Lee
Yadier Molina

I need ALL OF THESE:
Base
Chrome Base
Chrome Ref
Xfractor
Purple
Blue /199
Black /100
Sepia /75
Gold /50
Red /25
Atomic /10
Super 1/1
Plates 1/1 (4 colors)
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have either the Purple or Blue Cliff Lee Bowman Chrome. I'll have to check when I get home.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Good choice. I don't do much topps chrome since I'm more of a Bowman guy, but I love the idea of collecting all the variations. I enjoy setting up a spreadsheet and tracking what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardadict View Post
Figured out I'm going to start off with this:
2012 Topss Chrome- Phillies + Molina lol. Appreciate all your help guys...hopefully within the next couple weeks-couple months I'll be showing off the beginnings of my PC!
Shane Victorino
Jimmy Rollins
Chase Utley
Cole Hamels
Ryan Howard
Cliff Lee
Yadier Molina

I need ALL OF THESE:
Base
Chrome Base
Chrome Ref
Xfractor
Purple
Blue /199
Black /100
Sepia /75
Gold /50
Red /25
Atomic /10
Super 1/1
Plates 1/1 (4 colors)
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

So tried to pm you because I got sent back the cards I sent, and it will not allow me. I am assuming you are real lol hit me up so I can correct whatever I got wrong on the address
lazygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

I started out seeking just base rookie cards of the current roster of my favorite team. Cheap, easy to find, different brands. And from there you can look out for the #'d, relics and autos as your income grows.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Since you're doing a team. I think it would be interesting to put albums together of team sets from year 1 to year present. That would be quite the collection and would probably not cost you as much as finding gu and autos.
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote