Blowout Cards Forums
Re-Pack Attack

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I Up Sh*t Creek? 2011 Hosmer White Whale

I bought this card from EBay at the beginning of this year. I am a huge Hosmer fan and jumped at the chance to buy a 1/1 of his. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I have been trying to sell this card because I need the funds for Christmas. I sold it and was paid for back on Nov 10th.

Just last week the buyer sent me a message asking questions about its authenticity. I was a little thrown off but then he said above Hosmer's signature the words "Topps Certified Autograph" are missing and claimed it was a fake. I asked, if someone is going to fake a card why not put Topps Certified Auto on it?

He opened a case today and is asking for a refund. I dont mind giving him a refund but should I and what the heck do I do with the card now. Topps said they cant go back and stamp Topps Certified Auto on it but to send them a picture of the card and they will do something about it. What that means I dont know!

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...r/c118a6e7.jpg
If someone can help post the picture I would appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Shouldn't it say it on the back?

Last edited by ajscards101; 12-12-2012 at 05:01 PM.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Doesn't look any different from say, this one
2012 Topps Triple Threads Dustin Ackley 1 1 Printing Plate White Whale Yellow 1 | eBay

Or, from 2011 also,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Topps-T...item27cdbae77c

It's a printing plate 1/1 and thus the words could be missing. No reason to believe it's not real based on that IMO.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do you have a scan of the back too? That would help.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyni View Post
Do you have a scan of the back too? That would help.
I do not have a scan of the back its still with the buyer right now.
Here is another Hosmer White Whale on Ebay with the Topps Certified Auto on it

Eric Hosmer 2011 RC Rookie Triple Threads White Whale 1 1 Auto Bat Relic | eBay

I understand that it is real but how do I convey that to the buyer who, from what I can gather, doesnt know that much and has it in his mind its fake?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have an Oswlado Arcia printing plate that is the same way. Signed but doesnt say anywhere on the card that it is.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikobaseball View Post

It's a printing plate 1/1 and thus the words could be missing. No reason to believe it's not real based on that IMO.
They're usually stickers and the stickers say Topps Certified.

Eric Hosmer 2012 Triple Threads White Whale Auto Patch 1 1 | eBay

2012 Topps Triple Threads Fergie Jenkins Auto Relic White Whale Plate 1 1 | eBay

2012 Triple Threads Andre Ethier Jersey Relic White Whale True 1 1 | eBay

Some White Whales without stickers do say it (I think only RCs don't have stickers):

(top right)
Jesus Montero 2012 Topps Triple Threads White Whale Rookie Jersey Autograph 1 1 | eBay

The problem is that it might not show up on some plates depending on the color. That could be this guy's problem.

I'd do the research and show him that there isn't an un-autographed version on the checklist.

Last edited by XL5; 12-12-2012 at 05:10 PM.
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

edit - nvm, see above.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
They're usually stickers and the stickers say Topps Certified.

Eric Hosmer 2012 Triple Threads White Whale Auto Patch 1 1 | eBay

2012 Topps Triple Threads Fergie Jenkins Auto Relic White Whale Plate 1 1 | eBay

2012 Triple Threads Andre Ethier Jersey Relic White Whale True 1 1 | eBay

Some White Whales without stickers do say it (I think only RCs don't have stickers):

(top right)
Jesus Montero 2012 Topps Triple Threads White Whale Rookie Jersey Autograph 1 1 | eBay

The problem is that it might not show up on some plates depending on the color. That could be this guy's problem.

I'd do the research and show him that there isn't an un-autographed version on the checklist.
Those Hosmers are from 2012. All the 2011 Auto's where redemptions and on card auto's
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
XL5

You might have to show him examples of different colored printing plates too, where one color will have no writing at all while other colors do.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalukabubuday View Post
Those Hosmers are from 2012. All the 2011 Auto's where redemptions and on card auto's
Geez, my bad, I thought the OP was a 2012. Still, the same thing applies, it's the color of the plate.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

OP ... do a little due diligence and make sure this isn't "CardCop" you're dealing with. Sounds like something he would do. He has a few eBay monikers, I'm sure some of the folks here could spill them for you.

Last edited by calculusdork; 12-12-2012 at 05:30 PM.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

It's real. Only the Black plate has the Topps Certified Autograph words on it. The Cyan, Magenta and Yellow doesn't. Judging by the darkest part of the plate (the hat) I would say your plate is Cyan and doesn't have the Topps Certified Auto on it.
My-Coolectibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would say SOL you had it for a month . Its legit show him the other 2011 cards from that set. Also send topps the pic and get them top say its real. Seems fishy that this guy wants to return this card a month later.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

The only way to win is to convince him. Otherwise he will win and you'll get a chargeback.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugarpj View Post
The only way to win is to convince him. Otherwise he will win and you'll get a chargeback.
I think your absolutely right. I'll do some more homework and give this guy examples of other cards and maybe even the checklist and if he still doesnt beleive its real then really what can I do other then refund it
Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for everyones insight on this. I do appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

I don't think you should refund him I would try to fight it first . This seems like buyers remorse . Why wait this long to contact you on this . If i thought it was fake i would have contacted you the day it was opened. I know ebay wants people to give 15 day return policy . So i think that past.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieren View Post
I don't think you should refund him I would try to fight it first . This seems like buyers remorse . Why wait this long to contact you on this . If i thought it was fake i would have contacted you the day it was opened. I know ebay wants people to give 15 day return policy . So i think that past.
He won't win a fight. The best way is to be nice, polite, and try to educate him. If the other guy refuses, just issue a refund.

Otherwise eBay will just take the money and who knows when/if he'll get the card back and in what condition. Outside the refund window? The guy will just file a NAD or claim it's fake.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

So I'm the guy who purchased this card and at the outset I didn't question even to the point of leaving positive feedback. I don't go around authenticating and then returning big purchases like this one. It wasn't until a (collector) friend of mine stopped by to see my new purchases (and there have been many ... check my feedback). He pointed out the discrepancy and said for the money it's best to make sure. So I called Topps and opened a ticket with them. They called back today stating they cannot guarantee that it's authentic and when I asked the rep if there were any other examples they could not provide one.
Now speaking to the back of the card. I have another concern regarding the numbering. I own two other 1/1 TTT auto's from Eric Hosmer and none have a sticker affixed to the card reflecting the number. If you look at the attached image it does appear there is a sticker with the number '136'.

Although I trust the seller I'm not certain this is an authentic card. And for the money I spent I want 100% certainty. Ebay protects buyers up to 45 days after purchase so I'm not breaking any rules. This is the very first instance where I am questioning the authenticity of a card. Unfortunately the seller purchased from another person so there is no redemption card to show as further proof.
I'm very sorry it turned out this way because I did want the cards. I'm a die hard Royals fan and heavily invested in both Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas. It makes no difference to me if you agree or disagree because in the end it's my money.

Kyle, Once again I'm sorry with how things turned out. I hope you can find another seller. Maybe there's another Hosmer fan here who will buy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I Up Sh*t Creek? 2011 Hosmer White Whale-e-hosmer-2011-ttt-white-whale-auto-back-1-.jpg  
barob72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barob72 View Post
So I'm the guy who purchased this card and at the outset I didn't question even to the point of leaving positive feedback. I don't go around authenticating and then returning big purchases like this one. It wasn't until a (collector) friend of mine stopped by to see my new purchases (and there have been many ... check my feedback). He pointed out the discrepancy and said for the money it's best to make sure. So I called Topps and opened a ticket with them. They called back today stating they cannot guarantee that it's authentic and when I asked the rep if there were any other examples they could not provide one.
Now speaking to the back of the card. I have another concern regarding the numbering. I own two other 1/1 TTT auto's from Eric Hosmer and none have a sticker affixed to the card reflecting the number. If you look at the attached image it does appear there is a sticker with the number '136'.

Although I trust the seller I'm not certain this is an authentic card. And for the money I spent I want 100% certainty. Ebay protects buyers up to 45 days after purchase so I'm not breaking any rules. This is the very first instance where I am questioning the authenticity of a card. Unfortunately the seller purchased from another person so there is no redemption card to show as further proof.
I'm very sorry it turned out this way because I did want the cards. I'm a die hard Royals fan and heavily invested in both Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas. It makes no difference to me if you agree or disagree because in the end it's my money.

Kyle, Once again I'm sorry with how things turned out. I hope you can find another seller. Maybe there's another Hosmer fan here who will buy it.
That's certainly reasonable and you're well within your rights on eBay to request a refund. Hopefully everything goes as painlessly as possible for both parties, whatever the outcome.

FWIW, the all the 136 Hosmers autos have the sticker as far as I know.
2011 Topps Triple Threads #136 - Eric Hosmer Jsy AU RC (Rookie Card) EXCH/99 - CheckOutMyCards.com

2011 was screwy, I think there was at least one duplicate rookies/phenoms number, 147.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:

This response is far too reasonable. OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!!

Seriously, I can't help but agree. Crummy situation for both of you, but in the end you spent the money and you didn't get what you expected. Sucks for the OP, not even his fault, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

That is such a shame. The card is clearly legit.

Shame on you buyer abusing the eBay system.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure I used to own that exact card. It's 100% authentic. Even the sticker with the # on the back is crooked. Just like mine. As a 90% positive former owner of this card, It's the real deal. Even if it wasn't the same. The one I had was EXACTLY like that one.
EDIT: Mine was the yellow plate. Yours is legit. Fight it to the end. The buyer is abusing ebays buyer protection and has been added to my ignore list.

Last edited by Craiggysanford; 12-12-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Craiggysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

You're an idiot.

Blocked on Ebay
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote