Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My 1st & ONLY "Did I get a steal?" Thread - Joe DiMaggio Edition

I was waiting to post about it because I wanted to get the card first just to make sure it would really happen.

Been looking for a while for a nice, affordable Joe DiMaggio autograph to add to the PC, and settled on the 1993 Pinnacles, because they were all under $200 or so, and look real snazzy to me. There are a bunch on eBay, the going price seems to be around $150 a pop, but the only one that really stood out to me was #5 in the series, because you see that iconic Joe swing. One guy had his for $200 BIN, but wouldn't budge off the price.

While looking elsewhere on the net for it, I found a random web site linking back to an eBay auction that I never saw in my searches... because he spelled it DIMMAGIO. Popped in a quick bid immediately, and 3 days later without any other bids, it was mine... for $99.99 plus $4 for shipping and insurance. Wow.

Best part about this card is it's history. As you can see from the back, there's no number (the originals were numbered to /1800 each) but there is a Yankee Clipper Enterprises sticker, as it's apparently one of 240 from Joe's personal collection that Pinnacle let him keep. Upon his death, these 240 cards were sold to a dealer, and a copy of the notarized letter denoting the sale by Joe's personal lawyer was included with the card I won:

Now, I don't know if the story, and it's lack of proper numbering make the card more or less valuable, or whether or not the grade would grade well (and the graded ones on eBay are UGGGGLY because of the oversized holders) but this one immediately went into an Ultra Pro 1" Lucite Slab, and it now and forever will sit on the top shelf of my display case.

Joe, Joe, DiMaggio... we want you on our side!!!
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice pickup..love those. Donruss cut up hundreds of them for their 2008 Prime Cuts product...I prefer the original source and for half the cost
CheathamHill on ToppsBunt app
WhacksPacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

That's a really nice pick up! With a little luck and diligence, it really IS possibly to find top notch cards for a good price.

I found a three day auction for a cal ripken sterling auto- too bad the seller spelled his name, ripkIn, so I got an expensive card for a fraction of the price. Good work man
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Always loved the look of those cards! Great pickup
cjsayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Personal opinion.... your copy is much more valuable than the ones you get from the sets that are serial numbered. The added story line (and proof) that Joe himself 'owned' this card is fantastic. IMO this would have been a steal at 2-3 times what you paid. Nicely done!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug46n2 View Post
Personal opinion.... your copy is much more valuable than the ones you get from the sets that are serial numbered. The added story line (and proof) that Joe himself 'owned' this card is fantastic. IMO this would have been a steal at 2-3 times what you paid. Nicely done!
I agree. Those sets were available last year from an unnamed company for about $80 on Black Friday weekend. Any auto is nice but the sets are very common, you have something unique.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I once bid on a card on ebay when the seller listed the player's name as "Making Mental"... not even kidding. Someone dunce listed their card based off of incorrectly hearing a friend probably tell them "Oh you have a Mickey Mantle card there, bet that's worth some money." And then "Derp, I'll put my Making Mental card on ebay, derp."
Jayhawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks everybody! it's really nice to be able to share the card with you guys, so thanks for all your thoughts and opinions! and jayhawkaholic, if you have any other making mental cards you need to move, i'm definitely interested! wow, that's a new one! how did you even find it in the listings?
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote