Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #251 (permalink)
Member
 
lambeauleap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,338
Default

Any positive word on Dickey moving towards an extension? I know he didn't want to sign with Toronto, but I'm sure enough money would change that.
__________________
"Opening Day is coming soon, and even Obama can't take that away."
I collect Packers, former Ohio State Buckeyes, Blue Jackets, and Indians.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #252 (permalink)
Member
 
Ryan T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,104
Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
Any positive word on Dickey moving towards an extension? I know he didn't want to sign with Toronto, but I'm sure enough money would change that.
I can't think of why he wouldn't. Cash in now, get financial security, and you're going to a team clearly positioned to be competitive across his contract. Seems like a good situation for him.
__________________
Always buying high-end Francisco Liriano.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #253 (permalink)
Member
 
lambeauleap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
I can't think of why he wouldn't. Cash in now, get financial security, and you're going to a team clearly positioned to be competitive across his contract. Seems like a good situation for him.
I just recall reports saying he didn't want to extend there...if he doesn't want to spend half the season in Canada, he can just play out the season with the Mets (or resign with them) and pick his destination next year.
__________________
"Opening Day is coming soon, and even Obama can't take that away."
I collect Packers, former Ohio State Buckeyes, Blue Jackets, and Indians.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #254 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,736
Default

He'll sign the deal, I bet it gets done tomorrow early actually.
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #255 (permalink)
Member
 
vwnut13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Dickey had the peak, Wakefield had the longevity. No way Dickey has a 16 year career like Wakefield did though.
I don't understand whats so great about being mediocre for 19 years.
vwnut13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #256 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
I don't understand whats so great about being mediocre for 19 years.
Well he wasnt mediocre for 19 years, but thats neither here nor there.

You look at hte career numbers of both Dickey and Wakefield so far, they are pretty close. Yes Dickey is better, but give it 9years, they might look a lot alike.

If Dickey can do it for another 9 years, which I doubt he can
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #257 (permalink)
Member
 
Artchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Massapequa, NY
Posts: 3,759
Default

I dont agree
Artchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #258 (permalink)
Member
 
vwnut13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Well he wasnt mediocre for 19 years, but thats neither here nor there.
Here is a breakdown of his career

1 Seasons with a 5.50-6.00 ERA (128.1 IP)
5 Seasons with a 5.00-5.50 ERA (805.2 IP)
5 Seasons with a 4.50-5.00 ERA (863.0 IP)
4 Seasons with a 4.00-4.50 ERA (810.0 IP)
1 Seasons with a 3.50-4.00 ERA (168.2 IP)
0 Seasons with a 3.00-3.50 ERA (0.0 IP)
2 Seasons with a 2.50-3.00 ERA (358.2 IP)
1 Seasons with a 2.00-2.50 ERA (92.0 IP)

In 3,226.1 IP over 19 seasons (170 IP Average) he posted a 4.41 ERA.


That's 11 seasons of being worse than John Lackey was in 2010.
That's 7 seasons of being worse than A.J. Burnett on the Yankees (2009-11)
vwnut13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #259 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
Here is a breakdown of his career

1 Seasons with a 5.50-6.00 ERA (128.1 IP)
5 Seasons with a 5.00-5.50 ERA (805.2 IP)
5 Seasons with a 4.50-5.00 ERA (863.0 IP)
4 Seasons with a 4.00-4.50 ERA (810.0 IP)
1 Seasons with a 3.50-4.00 ERA (168.2 IP)
0 Seasons with a 3.00-3.50 ERA (0.0 IP)
2 Seasons with a 2.50-3.00 ERA (358.2 IP)
1 Seasons with a 2.00-2.50 ERA (92.0 IP)

In 3,226.1 IP over 19 seasons (170 IP Average) he posted a 4.41 ERA.


That's 11 seasons of being worse than John Lackey was in 2010.
That's 7 seasons of being worse than A.J. Burnett on the Yankees (2009-11)
Guess ERA tells the whole story, thanks for proving me totally wrong. Wakefield was useless for his entire career except for 1 year, where as Dickey has been good for 3 years.

Maybe wait until after their careers to compare, but Wakefield pitched a whole lot of innings, he closed, he mopped up, but to call him mediocre isnt fair. I never argued Dickey's peak wasnt higher but Wakefield wasnt mediocre, and was rather important for almost 2 decades.

Where as Dickey has been important for 3 years, big difference. Now continue to compare to Wakefield to John Lackey (not a knuckle baller) or AJ Burnett, again, not a knuckle baller.
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #260 (permalink)
Member
 
Ooosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Guess ERA tells the whole story, thanks for proving me totally wrong. Wakefield was useless for his entire career except for 1 year, where as Dickey has been good for 3 years.

Maybe wait until after their careers to compare, but Wakefield pitched a whole lot of innings, he closed, he mopped up, but to call him mediocre isnt fair. I never argued Dickey's peak wasnt higher but Wakefield wasnt mediocre, and was rather important for almost 2 decades.

Where as Dickey has been important for 3 years, big difference. Now continue to compare to Wakefield to John Lackey (not a knuckle baller) or AJ Burnett, again, not a knuckle baller.
Hey at least Wakefield is cute.
__________________
@Ooosh_E on Twitter
Collecting Travis Snider [looking for all blue or better 2006 Bowman Draft Chromes]
I have recently moved, so please make sure you have my new address
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #261 (permalink)
Member
 
12bizzles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,079
Default

Rosenthal: R.A. Dickey move shows Blue Jays know time is now - MLB News | FOX Sports on MSN
__________________

http://12bizzles.imgur.com/
12bizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #262 (permalink)
Member
 
Wrightfan85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,214
Send a message via AIM to Wrightfan85
Default

He'll sign it. The report of him not signing an extension was shot down quick.

I still can't believe we're getting d'Arnaud and Syndergaard.
__________________
I PC Mets cards, especially THOR, GOD OF THUNDER!
Wrightfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #263 (permalink)
Member
 
DetectiveChrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,444
Default

I like what AA has done with the Jays thus far.

As for this trade - I can't say I am excited about it.

I like Syndergaard and D'arnaud - Syndergaard is gonna a good power pitcher in 2-3 years time.

Dickey has mastered the knuckleball no doubt about that, he is getting better by the season. But the AL > NL. I also believe that knucklers need the wind to strengthen the knuckle pitch and in a dome (at home Rogers Centre or Ray's Tropicana) I think he will get rocked. I have seen this in Minnesota when he was a twin. However, his knuckler is better now.

I know people will say the time is now (while the Yankees and Sox are struggling) but I comfortably can't give up on two prospects taht I believe will have success in this league for a what, a number 3-5 starter?

Also, having him pitch before Morrow would be something special - when batters face Morrow they will be off.
__________________
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g398/smarra/

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #264 (permalink)
Member
 
12bizzles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveChrome View Post
I like what AA has done with the Jays thus far.

As for this trade - I can't say I am excited about it.

I like Syndergaard and D'arnaud - Syndergaard is gonna a good power pitcher in 2-3 years time.

Dickey has mastered the knuckleball no doubt about that, he is getting better by the season. But the AL > NL. I also believe that knucklers need the wind to strengthen the knuckle pitch and in a dome (at home Rogers Centre or Ray's Tropicana) I think he will get rocked. I have seen this in Minnesota when he was a twin. However, his knuckler is better now.

I know people will say the time is now (while the Yankees and Sox are struggling) but I comfortably can't give up on two prospects taht I believe will have success in this league for a what, a number 3-5 starter?

Also, having him pitch before Morrow would be something special - when batters face Morrow they will be off.
From AL East may struggle vs Dickey knuckleball - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN:

"A nice bonus for the Blue Jays is how well Dickey has pitched previously against AL East opponents. In three seasons with the Mets, Dickey made six starts against the Blue Jays AL East rivals. He was 4-0 with a 1.71 ERA in those six games, which included consecutive one-hitters against the Tampa Bay Rays and Baltimore Orioles."



As far as the dome factor, check this article out:

Will Blue Jays' Rogers Centre Hurt R.A. Dickey's Unhittable Knuckleball? | Bleacher Report
__________________

http://12bizzles.imgur.com/

Last edited by 12bizzles; 12-17-2012 at 09:49 AM.
12bizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #265 (permalink)
Member
 
DetectiveChrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bizzles View Post
From AL East may struggle vs Dickey knuckleball - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN:

"A nice bonus for the Blue Jays is how well Dickey has pitched previously against AL East opponents. In three seasons with the Mets, Dickey made six starts against the Blue Jays AL East rivals. He was 4-0 with a 1.71 ERA in those six games, which included consecutive one-hitters against the Tampa Bay Rays and Baltimore Orioles."



As far as the dome factor, check this article out:

Will Blue Jays' Rogers Centre Hurt R.A. Dickey's Unhittable Knuckleball? | Bleacher Report
Thanks for links.

This is exactly why I am not excited about this trade - more confused.

I don't know what to expect - the good or bad Dickey? Plus will Syndergaard and D'arnaud have success in the MLB? Lots of uncertainty here.

Bottom line: I think the Jays are fine without him this year - they should have sent some time and effort to solidify a 1B. Ike Davis for D'arnaud and another prospect?
__________________
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g398/smarra/

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #266 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,303
Default

so if/when this trade gets done...john buck is the bridge to d’Arnaud? what is the OF situation going to look like? nieuwenhuis sticks in CF? who plays RF and LF? so many holes still but this is a smart move for my Mets.

i loved watching dickey this year but lets face it, as stated above, too many holes for this team to be competitive anytime soon. let him go and let the man get a chance at a title. best of luck to him in toronto!
rmiller1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #267 (permalink)
Member
 
Ooosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveChrome View Post
I like what AA has done with the Jays thus far.

As for this trade - I can't say I am excited about it.

I like Syndergaard and D'arnaud - Syndergaard is gonna a good power pitcher in 2-3 years time.

Dickey has mastered the knuckleball no doubt about that, he is getting better by the season. But the AL > NL. I also believe that knucklers need the wind to strengthen the knuckle pitch and in a dome (at home Rogers Centre or Ray's Tropicana) I think he will get rocked. I have seen this in Minnesota when he was a twin. However, his knuckler is better now.

I know people will say the time is now (while the Yankees and Sox are struggling) but I comfortably can't give up on two prospects taht I believe will have success in this league for a what, a number 3-5 starter?

Also, having him pitch before Morrow would be something special - when batters face Morrow they will be off.
I had the same thoughts - didn't want to give up Syndergaard and wondering how well Dickey will do here.

I did look up stats (on ESPN) but there is just not a big enough sample size I don't think. I looked up vs. certain AL East teams over three years and could not find much. Did the same for dome/non-dome.
__________________
@Ooosh_E on Twitter
Collecting Travis Snider [looking for all blue or better 2006 Bowman Draft Chromes]
I have recently moved, so please make sure you have my new address
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #268 (permalink)
Member
 
DetectiveChrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdogg View Post
Where does Stroman rank now on the Top 10 for the Jays....Sure he is suspended, I believe that to be a freak thing, and through twitter, all ?i see is what kind of workout freak he is, I think he is gonna be special!!!
We'll assuming Syndergaard, D'arnaud are gone - Nicolino and Marisnick are gone - that's 4 of the top 5 gone!!!

I'd say #2 - behind Aaron Sanchez (P).
__________________
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g398/smarra/

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #269 (permalink)
Member
 
DetectiveChrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
I had the same thoughts - didn't want to give up Syndergaard and wondering how well Dickey will do here.

I did look up stats (on ESPN) but there is just not a big enough sample size I don't think. I looked up vs. certain AL East teams over three years and could not find much. Did the same for dome/non-dome.
Hey Ooosh - check out the article 12bizzles posted - it basically has my thoughts.

Seems like most Jay fans like ourselves are skeptical.
__________________
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g398/smarra/

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #270 (permalink)
Bowman Scout
 
Jaypers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 7,206
Default

Blue Jays, Dickey Agree To Extension
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 17 at 10:17am CST]
Contract negotiations between R.A. Dickey and the Blue Jays "have ended successfully at an affordable rate," Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star reports. The Blue Jays will examine the knuckleballer at their Spring Training site before making an announcement, according to Griffin.
__________________
J.P.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #271 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
Blue Jays, Dickey Agree To Extension
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 17 at 10:17am CST]
Contract negotiations between R.A. Dickey and the Blue Jays "have ended successfully at an affordable rate," Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star reports. The Blue Jays will examine the knuckleballer at their Spring Training site before making an announcement, according to Griffin.
happy day for mets fans who understand we are building for a bright future
rmiller1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #272 (permalink)
Member
 
DetectiveChrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
Blue Jays, Dickey Agree To Extension
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 17 at 10:17am CST]
Contract negotiations between R.A. Dickey and the Blue Jays "have ended successfully at an affordable rate," Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star reports. The Blue Jays will examine the knuckleballer at their Spring Training site before making an announcement, according to Griffin.
Damn!

mixed emotions as a Jay fan
__________________
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g398/smarra/

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #273 (permalink)
Member
 
Ooosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveChrome View Post
Damn!

mixed emotions as a Jay fan
Yeah I am not too happy
__________________
@Ooosh_E on Twitter
Collecting Travis Snider [looking for all blue or better 2006 Bowman Draft Chromes]
I have recently moved, so please make sure you have my new address
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #274 (permalink)
Member
 
12bizzles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,079
Default

Wow. Jays getting Dickey for 3/30. Very good deal for a Cy Young award winner. A bittersweet day for a Mets' fan. I'm sure it's the same for Jays' fans...
__________________

http://12bizzles.imgur.com/
12bizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #275 (permalink)
Member
 
metsplaya123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,213
Default

Yes finally another great prospect to collect !
metsplaya123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.