Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #276 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

How did this thread reach 12 pages?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #277 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
Yeah I am not too happy
Same. I like Dickey but I just dont know about giving up those 2 guys for him!

I know at the end of the day AA will forget more than I will ever know but I sure hope hes right on this one.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #278 (permalink)

Location: Originally from Indiana, currently live in New York

lame lame lame lame lame lol oh well--- too late to be a Jays fan? hahaha
stang66dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #279 (permalink)

Mets win the trade, regardless of what happens, but it's great for both sides.

Blue Jays feel he's an "ace" under control for three more years at a great price. He would clearly fetch more in free agency so that help cools what they gave up.

The Mets are looking to 2014 and beyond. TDA is a great piece, the best catching prospect in baseball and one of the best overall. Syndergaard is another strong piece to get back.

Awesome.

Anyway, where's those guys that said I was an idiot for not wanting the Mets to give up Dickey straight up for Olt? Seems the market was misjudged. Hm.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #280 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Mets win the trade, regardless of what happens, but it's great for both sides.

Blue Jays feel he's an "ace" under control for three more years at a great price. He would clearly fetch more in free agency so that help cools what they gave up.

The Mets are looking to 2014 and beyond. TDA is a great piece, the best catching prospect in baseball and one of the best overall. Syndergaard is another strong piece to get back.

Awesome.

Anyway, where's those guys that said I was an idiot for not wanting the Mets to give up Dickey straight up for Olt? Seems the market was misjudged. Hm.
RA Dickey wins another Cy Young and the Jays win the World Series, how do the Mets win the deal? Or if D'Arnaud or Sysngergard get hurt?

Not so clear cut.
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #281 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
RA Dickey wins another Cy Young and the Jays win the World Series, how do the Mets win the deal? Or if D'Arnaud or Sysngergard get hurt?

Not so clear cut.
Because you're dealing with projections, not the final results. If Dickey falls down the stairs next week and is out for 2013, does that make it a "bad" deal? No. It makes the outcome bad, as it's something you couldn't project.

You're dealing with probabilities of success here, not certainties.

A World Series is a team achievement, not individual, and where did a Cy Young get the Mets this year? Fourth. Again, change was needed.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #282 (permalink)

Quote:
Because you're dealing with projections, not the final results. If Dickey falls down the stairs next week and is out for 2013, does that make it a "bad" deal? No. It makes the outcome bad, as it's something you couldn't project.

You're dealing with probabilities of success here, not certainties.

A World Series is a team achievement, not individual, and where did a Cy Young get the Mets this year? Fourth. Again, change was needed.
So arent you though, you are dealing with an even bigger list of probabilities and uncertainties in prospects compared to an active MLB'er who has a track record.

I just dont know how you can say the Mets won this deal when A) Its not even official yet B) You dont know the full deal and C) Prospects are even bigger risks and uncertainties than anything else in baseball.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #283 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang66dad View Post
I almost forgot about you! We will welcome you with open arms.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #284 (permalink)
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JzWand View Post
Same. I like Dickey but I just dont know about giving up those 2 guys for him!

I know at the end of the day AA will forget more than I will ever know but I sure hope hes right on this one.
I always thought Ooosh did too but apparently not!

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/klay22/
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #285 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
So arent you though, you are dealing with an even bigger list of probabilities and uncertainties in prospects compared to an active MLB'er who has a track record.

I just dont know how you can say the Mets won this deal when A) Its not even official yet B) You dont know the full deal and C) Prospects are even bigger risks and uncertainties than anything else in baseball.
Ugh, really? Obviously my opinion on the deal hinges on it being official since without the deal there's nothing to give an opinion on.

I know. I'm dealing with the parts I know.

Weren't you the one who said the Mets were dumb for not trading for Olt straight up? Do you realize D'Arnaud you know, is a lot better than Olt?

Again, I was dealing with the uncertainties of any deal and when to judge them. Higher ranked prospects have a higher chance of success and Dickey's value to the Mets, while constant, eventually goes nowhere towards team success but only towards individual accomplishments, like the Cy Young.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #286 (permalink)

im willing to give up 2 years of dickey for potential prospects knowing the state of the team will be no where near playoff competitive for at least 2 years.

obviously the worst case scenario for the mets is the prospects don't pan out, but to have that chance that they do beats the BEST case scenario of 20 wins a season for 2 years from dickey on a 3rd place finish in the division.
rmiller1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #287 (permalink)

Quote:
Ugh, really? Obviously my opinion on the deal hinges on it being official since without the deal there's nothing to give an opinion on.

Weren't you the one who said the Mets were dumb for not trading for Olt straight up? Do you realize D'Arnaud you know, is a lot better than Olt?

Again, I was dealing with the uncertainties of any deal and when to judge them. Higher ranked prospects have a higher chance of success and Dickey's value to the Mets, while constant, eventually goes nowhere towards team success but only towards individual accomplishments, like the Cy Young.
Are u gonna pc Travis and Noah now ?
metsplaya123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #288 (permalink)

I am the only one optimistic enough for 2014? I dont see why they need years to be good. If wheeler, Harvey, D'arnaud all do well they should at least be contenders in 2014.
Metsfan1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #289 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan1121 View Post
I am the only one optimistic enough for 2014? I dont see why they need years to be good. If wheeler, Harvey, D'arnaud all do well they should at least be contenders in 2014.
I agree. Plus a bunch of $$ come off the books after 2013 so they can spend in FA to build up the team. Let's go Mets!!

http://12bizzles.imgur.com/
12bizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #290 (permalink)

Quote:

Yes I did say the Mets should have taken Olt, had no idea D'Arnaud was on the table, and I agree he is better, but then again he is a catcher, and they have a bigger bust rate. I wouldnt say D'Arnaud is "a lot" better than Olt, BA had Olt much higher, and Law had D'Arnaud higher. It's not as clear as you are trying to make it out to be.

Are you sure Higher ranked prospects have a bigger chance of success, do you have a % to corroborate that? For every Bryce Harper there are a dozen Brandon Wood, Dallas McPhersons and Andy Martes of the world.

Which is fine, you can deal with all the uncertainties you want, you can not say, no one can say who wins the deal right now, its foolish. As a Mets fan, what else would you say?

Both teams win, but for you to say the Mets clearly win is shortsighted and frankly not true. Thats all I am saying
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #291 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan1121 View Post
Contenders for what? There are a lot of what if's, and you would be relying on a 2nd year starter in Wheeler (depending on how much he plays in the majors in 2013), same with D'Arnaud.

Plus aside from Wright and Davis, what else do you have?

A lot of holes, I think 2014 is a bit too early to think about contending
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #292 (permalink)

And now the Jays are trying to extend their Dickey...
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #293 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcswim87 View Post
And now the Jays are trying to extend their Dickey...
They already did. Its done.

Announcement should be any time now.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #294 (permalink)

Let's go Mets! I'll miss RA, but it's a good trade for both sides.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #295 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a good trade for the Mets is nuts. I love love love RA, but it needed to be done. Couldn't ask for a better return.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #296 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang66dad View Post
You were actually one of the things that came to my mind while this trade was being discussed #spendtoomuchtimeonboforum
Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #297 (permalink)

Btw, isn't it extra sweet that the Yankee's are getting older by the second and have had nothing to talk about during this whole process.. Well unless u consider Old man Arod's hip, signing Kevin Pukelis and re signing Grandpa Ichiro something worth discussing.. Nah lol Met's are building, getting younger n hopefully better...Great day to be a Mets fan.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #298 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.

I agree with the guy that said 2014 might be a thing. TONS of money available for free agents, Wheeler and D'Arnaud ready, Flores potentially up and ready...could be a good year.

The Nationals have shown it only takes a year or two to turn things around.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #299 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Dickey has passed his physical, and the deal is done.

The final piece of the deal:

The Blue Jays also get catcher Mike Nickeas in the deal, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (Twitter links). The Mets also get 18-year-old outfield prospect Wuilmer Becerra.

Nickeas, a Vancouver, British Columbia native, appeared in 47 games for the Mets in 2012. The right-handed hitting 29-year-old posted a .174/.242/.229 batting line in 122 plate appearances with New York. He has MLB experience in parts of three seasons, but is not yet arbitration eligible.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #300 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsplaya123 View Post
Are u gonna pc Travis and Noah now ?
I have a small PC, will probably pick up something of each of them, though.