Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shipping in PWE question

Hey guys. I've never shipped anything in a PWE but today I sold a Drew Stubbs Gypsy Queen auto to a forum member for $3 del in PWE. My question is, how do you ship in a PWE?

My thought was to put the card in a sleeve and top loader, put the top loader in a team bag, and put the team bag in the PWE. Is that the common practice? Do I need to put in decoy cards? I hope not.

Also, how many stamps does a single card in PWE take? 1 or 2?

Thanks

Dan

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/DSizzle31/library/?sort=4&page=1
DSizzle31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Since it's a skinny card, you will only need one stamp. And you have it right with sleeve, toploader, and teambag. The teambag prevents the card from getting wet. You don't need decoys since it's skinny, shouldn't get creased or anything. My only advice is that you take a page of an old magazine or a piece of scrap paper to hide the card in it. It also works as extra protection.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Here we go again with the PWE posts... UGH!!!!!! Team bag, toploader, penny sleeve and 44 cent stamp. Thats it. You could even put the shipping label on the top loader with no envelope if your really trying to cut down. Did you charge 4 dollars shipping for the 3 dollar card?
justinhiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Toploader wrapped in a sheet of of paper. I'd take it to the post office & do the non-machinable for .66 or 88 cents to be safe.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhiggs View Post
Here we go again with the PWE posts... UGH!!!!!! Team bag, toploader, penny sleeve and 44 cent stamp. Thats it. You could even put the shipping label on the top loader with no envelope if your really trying to cut down. Did you charge 4 dollars shipping for the 3 dollar card?
When I said I charged $3 delivered in PWE, clearly I didn't charge $4 shipping.
Thanks for the answer. I probably should've used the search feature since you seem so put out by the question. BTW, stamps cost 45 cents...UGH!!!!!!

Dan

Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Why so hostile? It was a simple question
Copeskey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeskey45 View Post
Why so hostile? It was a simple question
you are not allowed to ever ask a question that has been asked before. Honestly I should be chastising you now for asking why he is so hostile about a question that has be asked over and over but it would make me kind of douchie. Of course I am kinda being douchie now....god I am bored and want to go to work.
gsxr1000mxz800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sleeve, toploader, team bag, and one stamp (along with, obviously, an envelope) will do just fine. No need for decoys...that's done fine for me before, so if anything goes wrong; well, it was only $3!
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, and I'm the member that bought the card...I asked for it to be shipped in a PWE since it was a low-end card and could save a few bucks without any real risk.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ship the card in a sleeve, topload, piece of bubble wrap, in a team bag with a $.65 stamp. That's how I do it.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
Oh, and I'm the member that bought the card...I asked for it to be shipped in a PWE since it was a low-end card and could save a few bucks without any real risk.
Yup. If you're fine with it, that's good enough for me. It'll be in tomorrow's mail

Dan

Old 12-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Whenever I ship PWE I make sure to get non-machinable stamped on the envelope. This costs a little extra with the stamp but makes sure it doesn't go through the sorting machine.
Greengoblin782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've sold a ton of low end cards and shipped PWE with zero problems. You have the right idea on the packaging, but I would suggest using a strip of newspaper and kind of wrap the card up in it first. Works well to conceal what is inside as well as an extra layer of protection in case of water or something getting on the envelope.

KCCO!!
timfsu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr1000mxz800 View Post
you are not allowed to ever ask a question that has been asked before. Honestly I should be chastising you now for asking why he is so hostile about a question that has be asked over and over but it would make me kind of douchie. Of course I am kinda being douchie now....god I am bored and want to go to work.
I'm at work now
Copeskey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengoblin782 View Post
Whenever I ship PWE I make sure to get non-machinable stamped on the envelope. This costs a little extra with the stamp but makes sure it doesn't go through the sorting machine.
This. It's only an extra $0.20 to do non-machinable. Best way to go if shipping PWE.

Wantlist: http://tgutta.webs.com/
TGutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

How dare you ask for a card shipped in PWE? Justin Higgs does not approve.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
zep

Quote:
kinda feeling stupid now?

figured as much
zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

0.65 stamp, tag the envelope DO NOT BEND (or DO NOT FOLD, etc) use a toploader or my preference is a soft sleeve in a semi-rigid since it is extremely thin in case they decide to put it through the machine anyway and adds no extra weight really.
I have almost 4000 cards sold on sportlots that have been shipped in this manner. Though I only use it for low end singles up to 4 cards max. Never for a GU or auto or anything really worth over $1. I've had only one complaint and that was before I was using a semi rigid, and only 2 items have gone missing.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

All of the hate for PWE deals is unwarranted and misguided. Anyone worth his/her salt will know how to properly package a card whether its a PWE or a mailer, given that the buyer acknowledges and accepts the risk.

I've done hundreds of PWE deals online with a sleeve, taped toploader and a sheet of paper taped over that. Haven't had even one go bad and have never done non-machinable, though I can understand that precaution.

When buying I'm usually okay with anything around $5 SV and under being sent in a PWE if the seller asks or if it's stipulated beforehand in the sale I agree to.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

I just cannot understand why sellers/buyers would use PWE as a shipping option. You can't get delivery confirmation with PWE, and it only costs $1 more to ship using Ebay/PayPal shipping and you get free delivery confirmation.

As a seller/buyer I would never accept this type of shipping. Very amateur, and does nothing to protect the card(s).
hoopster3977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3977 View Post
I just cannot understand why sellers/buyers would use PWE as a shipping option. You can't get delivery confirmation with PWE, and it only costs $1 more to ship using Ebay/PayPal shipping and you get free delivery confirmation.

As a seller/buyer I would never accept this type of shipping. Very amateur, and does nothing to protect the card(s).
If people are buying a $1 card and can get it for $2.50 dlvd in a PWE vs. $3.50 in a bubble mailer, why would you want to pay an extra dollar? I've sold hundreds of cards using PWE that I guarantee wouldn't have sold if I was charging that extra dollar for shipping. Never had a problem.

Why would anyone want to spend an extra $1 on a cheap card if they didn't have to? If it doesn't show up for some reason, you file a claim and win b/c there is no tracking. Minimal risk to seller, zero risk to buyer. Win/Win.

Let me know what you have!
speedmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

What the hell, when did it change to .45 cent?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmasterp View Post
If people are buying a $1 card and can get it for $2.50 dlvd in a PWE vs. $3.50 in a bubble mailer, why would you want to pay an extra dollar? I've sold hundreds of cards using PWE that I guarantee wouldn't have sold if I was charging that extra dollar for shipping. Never had a problem.

Why would anyone want to spend an extra $1 on a cheap card if they didn't have to? If it doesn't show up for some reason, you file a claim and win b/c there is no tracking. Minimal risk to seller, zero risk to buyer. Win/Win.
Your math is off. It only costs me $1.65 plus $.08 for the envelope to ship up to 3 oz's. So you are looking at $2.73 and this includes delivery confirmation.
hoopster3977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

I pay $2.80 to ship... but I use PWE for my giveaways i fold hardstock paper and staple a team bag inside and put the card/toploader inside...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3977 View Post
Your math is off. It only costs me $1.65 plus $.08 for the envelope to ship up to 3 oz's. So you are looking at $2.73 and this includes delivery confirmation.

Still, $1.65 versus .45 on a low end card, when multiplied many times over, definitely adds up. Like I said, I've shipped hundreds of cards this way and have had zero complaints or incidents. You take the risk when shipping this way, but it's a risk most sellers of low end stuff are willing to take.

KCCO!!
timfsu2k is offline   Reply With Quote