Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Card Singles

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Better in 5 years Mets or Yanks?

Both teams have and can spend the money, so let's not make it ONLY about the Yanks spending...It's how and who you spend the money on... The Mets have wasted a ton of money and done a horrible job at that over the past 5+ years *(Jason Bay etc)... However, while the Mets are rebuilding with young, hopefully good pitching and now with the Dickey trade, solid prospects... The Yanks keep getting older and aren't considered the class of baseball any longer..Also, their once prized farm system isn't as highly thought of as it once was.. The days of Yankee overhyped prospects, (especially pitching) are slowly withering away...Yanks will always have the most money to spend, but as we have seen, money doesn't always buy championships...The core of the Yanks are old and breaking down and the Mets need to establish a core of their own. The next few years will be very interesting for both organizations..

Last edited by gonygo; 12-17-2012 at 04:45 PM.
gonygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.

I will just say that as a Mets fan, as disheartened as I am with the lack of the Wilpon's willingness to spend, I am greatly encouraged by the direction of the franchise.

Sandy Alderson, Paul Depodesta and their team know exactly what they're doing, and the days of the ridiculous trades and contracts are long gone (I hope) as long as they're in charge.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sadly it is about money and the Yankees will always spend more to put a competitive team on the field.
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
I will just say that as a Mets fan, as disheartened as I am with the lack of the Wilpon's willingness to spend, I am greatly encouraged by the direction of the franchise.

Sandy Alderson, Paul Depodesta and their team know exactly what they're doing, and the days of the ridiculous trades and contracts are long gone (I hope) as long as they're in charge.
I hope the Wilpons just stay out of the way.. Anything they get involved w is not good. Let Sandy n the guys do their thing and rebuild this team. We as fans waited this long, may as well do it right.. It will be worth it in the long run...
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherm360 View Post
Sadly it is about money and the Yankees will always spend more to put a competitive team on the field.
yes but no. Yankees front office is driven to get below the luxury tax. This being said, i feel the mets have a chance at being better in 5 years. Hopefully the yankees will rise up in the farm system and be great..
stera8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

The Yankees owe so much money to players nearing the end of their career who once were great players. I see them only going down the next few years.
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yanks will never disappear completely, always will have the money machine over there. As much as it pains me to say it, in 5 years they will be on the upswing again. All of the old contracts will be off the books and they will be buying new superstars like Trout, Harper, Strasburg, etc. etc.

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think the Yanks are in a lame duck period for the next five years. I'm not saying they'll be awful but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they missed the playoffs at least twice in the next five seasons.

The one and two year deals are stellar but their complete lack of a catcher, that ARod guy over at third, regression coming at some point for Jeter (I have no idea when because the guy seriously defies everything logical about father time and I love him to death this many years later), and Teixeira kind of turning into a meddling bat at first don't give me much confidence.

At least the outfield has potential to be amazingly quick.
WillBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

I see the Mets being the better team in 2017.
The Mets' starting rotation of the future seems to be bright if Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler and Noah Syndergaard become what they're projected to become. Plus they have a potential All Star catcher in Travis d'Arnaud now.
As for the Yankees, their future does not look as bright as the Mets but they could have a very decent homegrown lineup by 2017. They also have a promising catcher in Gary Sanchez and their outfield looks solid if things go well. However the Yankees' future rotation looks very bleak, at least at this moment. But if Pineda, Betances & Banuelos can get things together they'd make a pretty good trio and if Hughes & Nova can learn consistency that'd be even better.