Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I out $740?

Wow, so long story and I'm stressed.

Guy buys this off of me on eBay:
2012 Bowman Chrome Draft Purple Refractor Auto Albert Almora 10 Chicago Cubs | eBay

I ship it out on Wednesday and the lady at the counter told me that the Insurance number was the tracking # and that I didn't need delivery confirmation. She also said since it's insured for over $200, they sign for it so I don't need signature confirmation. I thought she knew how to do her job, so I believed her.

Turns out, that is only a number that they can track through their intranet. So I opened a case with USPS and they have been calling me everyday with the tracking info. Saturday, they called me and said it would be out for delivery.

Guys messages me today after receiving his mail and claims that he hasn't received it. Still waiting on the post office to call me back to say if it was delivered or not...

What do I do from here?

EDIT: 12/18: Received a message from the guy today that said he has received the card. Thanks everyone for the support, and those of you with snarky comments, have a Merry Christmas!

Last edited by cwgross144; 12-18-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: update
cwgross144 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgross144 View Post

2012 Bowman Chrome Draft Purple Refractor Auto Albert Almora 10 Chicago Cubs | eBay

I ship it out on Wednesday and the lady at the counter told me that the Insurance number was the tracking # and that I didn't need delivery confirmation. She also said since it's insured for over $200, they sign for it so I don't need signature confirmation. I thought she knew how to do her job, so I believed her.

Turns out, that is only a number that they can track through their intranet. So I opened a case with USPS and they have been calling me everyday with the tracking info. Saturday, they called me and said it would be out for delivery.

Guys messages me today after receiving his mail and claims that he hasn't received it. Still waiting on the post office to call me back to say if it was delivered or not...

What do I do from here?
This happened to me about 6 years ago with a $900 Trade Dollar(used to deal in coins and currency)... I was out the $900... I actually raised so much hell though that the upper level Paypal customer service manager credited me $350, because I got a printout from the post offices computer showing it was signed for on their end. But since you can't track it online, paypal wont side with you... Sorry

And please give us the Ebay id who bought it so we can all block them.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

You WILL lose a paypal case for not using signature confirmation. However, if USPS can send you proof that he indeed signed for the insurance on the package I would speak to USPS and look into possible mail fraud charges. Normally if a buyer is threatened with a federal crime they tend to wise up.

So basically you will lose the claim and the money will be automatically taken from your account unless you can convince the buyer to drop the case.

Not sure of what other options you may have at this point, other than never sending anything valued over $250 without signature confirmation (pink slip).
californiakron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I cant offer any suggestions on what to do, but I really hope that things get resolved for you. Terrible situation.

Kevin
Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

just curious.....If I ship something through eBay by USPS and add signature confirmation do I have to add one of those pink slips or is it good as is?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry for the bad situation. It looks like you will lose the case based on the facts we have now. You can always get some kind of confirmation from PO and fight with Paypal; however, paypal does require sig. confirmation for all items over $250.00.

If you can, next time, print the shipping label from ebay shipping. You can add insurance, sig. confirmation and delivery confirmation and it costs way less than the PO. All you have to do is print and stick the shipping label on the package.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
just curious.....If I ship something through eBay by USPS and add signature confirmation do I have to add one of those pink slips or is it good as is?
No. It's good as is. Just the label is fine and you can pull out the signature later online through the develiery confirmation number.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you sell anything $250 and over you are required to have signature confirmation with the package. Adding USPS insurance which requires a signature is not sufficient due to the inability to be tracked. Sig. confirmation can be added through ebay when printing a label.

Anything $249 and under normal delivery confirmation is sufficient. Insurance can be used at the buyer/sellers discretion but does not suffice any paypal requirements.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

BTW, I have to say the BO community knows more about the USPS system and Paypal rules than the people working there.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would give it a few more days before you get really stressed.....with the holidays the USPS has been taking longer than usual recently. I have been in the same boat, and it sucks....Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

I agree...hate having to explain things to people who should already know as it is their job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hche View Post
BTW, I have to say the BO community knows more about the USPS system and Paypal rules than the people working there.

20% off Auto Accept on COMC Always On!
My New Blog - http://comcadventures.blogspot.com/
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
XL5

What the average customer wants and what an eBay seller looking to maintain paypal compliance wants are very different. You can't expect USPS customer service people to know what you have to do for Paypal. That's the responsibility of the seller. (Also, consider buying and printing your own labels via PayPal. That way you get the free DC not matter what other services you get).

That said, you should be able to request proof of delivery. Get it and send it to the buyer. If they want to take the fight to Paypal, so be it but if it's just someone hoping to get a freebie because there's no DC they might not pursue it when faced with USPS proof of delivery.

And don't panic yet, it may not have been delivered on Saturday. The USPS messes up notification all the time. Give it a day or two and let the buyer know you are working on it. Tell them you should be able to get proof of delivery.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I messaged him and told him about how the post office is supposed to call me with an update on the package. Can only hope that USPS is just slow. I really hope this doesn't bum out my Christmas this year. Was so excited when I pulled that card too :/ if the guy is indeed a scammer, I'll definitely let you guys know the buyers ID. Hate when people get away with this crap!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

When I first read this post I thought the buyer had opened up a paypal case after receiving his card in the mail after seeing no sig confirmation on the package. However, after re-reading this, my understanding here is that the buyer has not actually opened up a paypal case at this point. He just messaged you saying he hasnt received the card yet. If that is the case I would just advise him of the fact you did send it and it just may be taking a few extra days because of the holiday season. Hopefully he isnt the type of buyer that is going to receive the card and see no signature confirmation and then try to pull some BS. Just give it a little while and see what happens.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

If its insured over $200 it needs a signature
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecancelliere View Post
If its insured over $200 it needs a signature
True, but this does not suffice paypal requirements as proof of delivery or signature upon delivery. (over $250)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiakron View Post
True, but this does not suffice paypal requirements as proof of delivery or signature upon delivery. (over $250)
That doesnt make any sense. So they sign it but paypal does not consider that proof of delivery. Paypal is messed up big time
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

This happened to me when I sent a box of cards to Beckett. I was told I could track it and could not. Beckett said they did not get it so I filed the insurance claim and out of no where I get an email from beckett that it magically showed up and USPS mailed me a notice so if you go on to their site and file the insurance claim they will send you proof. I too used to sell high end coinage and I sold a 1916 Mercury dime BU condition for close to $3,000. I left for basic and apparently the guy filed a credit dispute and got his $3,000 back and I was out the coin and the cash and paypal said it was out of their hands...

Last edited by Srt42004n; 12-17-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Just like SRT said, it has to be able to be tracked online.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgross144 View Post

What do I do from here?
Okay. Look, I'm just going to say this . . . if you sold a card for $740 and shipped it by any method less than priority with signature confirmation and full insurance you . . . kind of failed.
I recently started working full-time (finally). As a result, I often forget about PMs which I've reviewed during the day, but did not have time to respond to. Please feel free to follow up. It is not my intention to ignore or forget about anyone.
bdrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
What the average customer wants and what an eBay seller looking to maintain paypal compliance wants are very different. You can't expect USPS customer service people to know what you have to do for Paypal.
These are on USPS.gov,

Insuring an item for more than $200 allows customers to purchase restricted delivery service or a return receipt. The following additional services may be combined with insurance if the applicable standards for the services are met and the additional service fees are paid:
•Delivery Confirmation™ service
•Parcel airlift service (PAL)
•Return Receipt for Merchandise (for items insured for up to $200)
•Signature Confirmation™ Service
•Special Handling
•Adult Signature Required and Adult Signature Restricted Delivery are available for insured Express Mail, Priority Mail (including Critical Mail), Parcel Select barcoded nonpresort, and Parcel Select Regional Ground.

Why do we need to add those services if insurance works like the PO lady said? She said insurance INCLUDED tracking AND signature confirmation.

I am just saying information available to the PO employees doesn't mean they are available to the general public.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrr View Post
Okay. Look, I'm just going to say this . . . if you sold a card for $740 and shipped it by any method less than priority with signature confirmation and full insurance you . . . kind of failed.
Why are you criticizing the OP on this one? His post clearly stated he had asked for delivery and signature confirmation but the PO employee incorrectly informed him that he did not need it. Obviously most of us know that for paypal you still need those to be trackable online because we have talked to paypal directly or have heard horror stories of people getting screwed in the past. So we wouldnt accept the explanation from the employee. However, if I was not aware of the fact it must be tracable online and that the insurance coverage doesnt provide that and the post office employee said it was all included I would probably be inclined to also believe like the OP did that they knew what they were talking about. Otherwise he wouldnt have had the conversation with the post office employee in the first place. The OP got f'ed by the PO here and hopefully it doesnt cause him any problems with this buyer in the near future. Hopefully what everyone takes form this thread is dont trust employees anywhere lol. One time when I got screwed by what an employee of some company told me I from that point forward got names, id #s, record the exact date and time, whatever I can if I even have the slightest doubt that they know what they are talking about so I can go back to them and specifically reference them and the conversation in case something gets screwed up. Otherwise all I got when I call is 'hey you guys told me ______. I dont know who it was or when they told me, but I can assure you thats what I was told.' Doesnt really hold up lol

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/

Last edited by GOWIFB; 12-17-2012 at 09:18 PM.
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

I always, always, always add Signature Confirmation (neon pink slip) on any insured package. They (PO Counter workers) will tell you that you don't need it. TRUST ME, you want to put it on there.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uri The Fury View Post
I would give it a few more days before you get really stressed.....with the holidays the USPS has been taking longer than usual recently. I have been in the same boat, and it sucks....Good Luck!
This is what I think, based on experiance, the item may still arrive...
Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Yeah I always get delivery confirmation when I ship my items. I was told I need to go to the post office if I sell something for over $500, so I did. I always print my labels at home but being this was my first card that I had sold for over $500, I went to the post office. Misinformed is definitely the key word here. I even talked to the lady at the local post office a manager of some sort, and she was clueless that the insurance # wasn't available for us to track. She said, " I'll have to tell my workers that, because I always thought it was a tracking number" she basically admitted that she didn't even know it wasn't traceable online.