Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need to talk to someone about COMC

Hey I'm considering using COMC but I'm crunching some preliminary numbers and I'm not as excited as I would like to be. Could someone either post or PM me with their business model or success/failure stories? Let me know if I posted this in the wrong space.
Zankyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wrote a how-to guide a little while back on COMC on my blog. Check it out, I've done pretty well. How to Sell on COMC - Blogs - Houdini's House of Cards

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlab85 View Post
I wrote a how-to guide a little while back on COMC on my blog. Check it out, I've done pretty well. How to Sell on COMC - Blogs - Houdini's House of Cards
I recall reading that before I made the leap during the National promo. Good write up. I'll never go back to ebay. I love COMC!

It definitely makes a difference that I'm in the UK though. If I were in the States I'd mix and match.
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've looked at it several times. I'm no genious, but their fee structure could lead to disaster if you don't turn many cards over quick. A huge buy in with submissions and the cashout fees leave little to be desired in my opinion. It may work for you if you plan on using your profits to buy more cards though.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
I recall reading that before I made the leap during the National promo. Good write up. I'll never go back to ebay. I love COMC!

It definitely makes a difference that I'm in the UK though. If I were in the States I'd mix and match.
Thanks! Glad I could help

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
I've looked at it several times. I'm no genious, but their fee structure could lead to disaster if you don't turn many cards over quick. A huge buy in with submissions and the cashout fees leave little to be desired in my opinion. It may work for you if you plan on using your profits to buy more cards though.
The .25 shipping charge that they build into the buyer's price has been a bit of a game changer. My sales have been down recently, but I had a great month of November with the Black Friday sale.

The cards turn over relatively quick. I've yet to lose money on a shipment. Probably up about $100-300 on each shipment (other than the most recent). I agree, that I never sell many high value items on there because the fees make it not worth it (20% on a card that sells for $50+ isn't worth it to me.) But I also never take the paypal cashout option, so I save myself a little in fees there. Always prefer to buy cards I can flip on eBay (and make a little bit more for myself)

It is the best for $1-10 cards that I don't feel like scanning/listing/shipping/dealing with returns on eBay though. I guess it's like anything else, you have to find what works for you!

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

COMC is a great time and hassle saving service versus ebay. If I didn't have 2 kids, full time job, a house and a dog I would probably sell more on ebay. But COMC gives me that oppurtunity to turn cards over and buy more. I simply would not have time for ebay.

P.S. I am not complaining about having a Family, job, kids and a house. I am blessed with them, but they do suck up time.
darin2200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

The fees look much worse than they actually are. Just think of how much you are going to spend to ship these cards 1 by 1. Say you send in 200 Cards. Its going to cost $12 to ship them in a flat rate box + around $5-$10 in insurance and $50 for them to list. Or $2 each shipped without insurance/confirmation. So think around $75 compared to $400+. Plus you dont have to do any work.

If you want I have a $20 coupon for first time sellers
Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

proud member since 2008. here are my stats and after the new year I have around 500 more cards going in. There are plenty of huge threads on COMC, they have changed some over the years, but I only use ebay for items they don't get and for items that are in between shipments

General Account Info
Items in Inventory 514
Total Book Value $4,794.05
Items w/o Book Price 48
Total Asking Price $5,054.00
Items w/o Asking Price 0
Items Not for Sale 0
Items Ready to Ship 0
Total Sales $8,770.28
Items Sold 5,574
Items Purchased 1,232
Items Added to the Site 5,304