Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So...lowballing Ebay sellers actually works....

I was curious who else has had this experience. I recently got back into collecting and am doing way more selling than buying but I'm still a sucker for Ichiro cards, Griffey Ripken etc.

Over the past month, I occasionally scour ebay and find "or best offer" listings. I find a card that looks cool, do a search on completed listings and see that what they're asking is somewhat fair market value (usually 70% of BV). Well at times it's more than what I want to pay, so out of anger and/or if I'm feeling grumpy, I lowball the crap out of the poor guy. I did this to three separate ebayers (Who I apologize to) and two of the three didn't even counter, but took my offer.

For example, there was a 2012 Topps Triple thread Ichiro Onyx card I think? It booked for $20 or something, the guy had it for $15...I was angry and offer him $4,...he took it. I was shocked, I then browsed through his other listings found two more cards I wanted and offer him half of what he wanted and he took both of those offers too! So shipping costs be $3 total and I get three sweet cards for what appears to be WAY cheaper than Fair market value.

Am I being scammed here? OR are dealers just that way sometimes or am I lucky?

I also got a Bowman chrome Albert Pujols Orange Refractor for $10 a few months back....awesome.

Please note, I'm not trying to brag here in any way, 99% of the users on here have more cards than I do....I'm a newbie to buying/selling with ebay. I collected in the 90s.
RipitRipken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

If they accept it, I guess it can't be considered lowballing since your offer was within their intended target price. Congrats!

And a Pujols Orange Refractor for $10!! That is awesome!
motu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

sometimes buyers accepts it the low offers maybe because if those cards he put up continuiously months and months and couldnt sell they accpt it or its probably Xmas season and trying to make fast money
scorpion1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipitRipken View Post
For example, there was a 2012 Topps Triple thread Ichiro Onyx card I think? I was angry and offer him $4,...he took it.

I also got a Bowman chrome Albert Pujols Orange Refractor for $10 a few months back....awesome.
Onyx: Sandberg & Ichiro - 2012 Topps Triple Threads Onyx Ichiro 42 50 Ryne Sandberg 35 50 | eBay

Cheapest BC 2012 Orange I see is $20, not sure if that was the same product. Either way, not steals or anything... good prices, sure.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am more concerned with the fact that you get angry enough at cards to intentionally low ball sellers and then turn around and apologize to them lol. I'd get that checked out too while you are busy getting good deals.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I move a bunch of cards for a little bit less then what I think they should sell for. The main reason is I've had them for too long. Having a fresh inventory is key to growing sales. I'd rather miss out on that extra 2 bucks and be able to reinvest the money elsewhere to help keep my store filled with new product.

Also, 1 or 2 dollars shouldn't make or break a sale. If it does then you probably didn't make a wise purchase.

-James
Always accepting consignments - Top Rated Seller - PM Me!
pastmyshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
I am more concerned with the fact that you get angry enough at cards to intentionally low ball sellers and then turn around and apologize to them lol. I'd get that checked out too while you are busy getting good deals.
I'm not actually apologizing to them, I meant "I'm sorry" in a public forum sense. Nor am I actually getting upset. It's more like..."well I can''t/shouldn't pay that $40 they want BUT I did just sell a card for $20 so I'll offer them $20 and see what happens. My reactions were exaggerated for color I guess, haha.

I've also been snagging up a few .99 sent auctions of stars to include in my COMC submission. I'd like to build up a healthy inventory there as well and I'm trying to attract people so I've been snagging some great deals at that .99 price.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't use book prices. Waste of time. Use recent ebay sales.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugarpj View Post
Don't use book prices. Waste of time. Use recent ebay sales.

I am....I'm using COMC and completed sold ebay listings.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I am....I'm using COMC and completed sold ebay listings.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

There are plenty of "dealers" on ebay that inflate their prices by 100-150% than what a card would typically go for at auction, and offer the "best offer" function to keep options open. For the brick and mortar guys, part of the inflated cost is for rent, fees, utilities and other incidental expenses. This is why I don't buy from them. Some seller's are simply aloof and attach sentimental value to the price.

I've seen people that absolutely swear by TOP beckett value, and some that start their auctions at low bv. I wont put up a link to the listing, but there is a dealer selling a 2012 Topps Museum Collection Vladimir Guerrero Jumbo relic for 50 bucks. I sold my dupe of that card for 9 bucks.

Honestly, there are instances when its a total crapshoot. I put together packages of inserts and sell them for 5 bucks. In card shop, one of those inserts might cost 5 bucks for only 1 card. Inserts have absolutely no value to me, which is why I price items to sell quickly. Selling at a high volume versus trying to cash in on one big card has been working well for me.

There are certainly deals to be found on ebay- with knowledge and patience, you can put together an excellent collection, and do so on a budget.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lowballing is in the eye of the beholder...negotiations have to start somewhere, why not the lowest price for a buyer and the highest price for a seller.

EBay averages are EBay averages.....I personally could care less what a card went for on EBay. I spend what I want to spend and sell what I want to sell at.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealstunna View Post
Lowballing is in the eye of the beholder...negotiations have to start somewhere, why not the lowest price for a buyer and the highest price for a seller.

EBay averages are EBay averages.....I personally could care less what a card went for on EBay. I spend what I want to spend and sell what I want to sell at.

First off, we should distinguish between "lowballing" and LOWBALLING.

Former term could describe offering someone $5 for a $15 insert that is not in demand. No insult is intended.

Latter term to me describes offering someone $150 for a Ruth/Gehrig dual cut auto from SP legendary Cuts. If the $150 is simply a 'start' to negotiations...it's not a very good start.
If the prospective buyer is trying to legitimately purchase the item but doesn't want to 'start' the negotiations, he/she should simply email/pm the seller and ask what he expects.
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

If you weren't wanting to brag then you would not have posted this.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhou1 View Post
First off, we should distinguish between "lowballing" and LOWBALLING.

Former term could describe offering someone $5 for a $15 insert that is not in demand. No insult is intended.

Latter term to me describes offering someone $150 for a Ruth/Gehrig dual cut auto from SP legendary Cuts. If the $150 is simply a 'start' to negotiations...it's not a very good start.
If the prospective buyer is trying to legitimately purchase the item but doesn't want to 'start' the negotiations, he/she should simply email/pm the seller and ask what he expects.
Sounds fair.

If the best offer option only allowed one best offer I would definitely do that...till then I see no harm in testing how desperate the owner is to sell.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

It all depends on the card.

A lot of the cards being sold on Ebay via BIN/BO are cards for which there is virtually no demand. So if the card has been up for months without receiving any offers, the seller is more likely to take any offer, no matter how low it is.

Likewise, many sellers list their cards using vastly inflated "book prices", which bear no resemblance to actual reality. This is especially true for older low numbered cards for which there are very few transactions, and therefore no accurate "book" price. Often on these cards, if you make the seller a reasonable offer (40-50% of the BIN), they will accept.

Some sellers will hold onto a card forever trying to secure a high price, some just want to move stuff as fast as they can.

If find the big sellers whose business is based as much on volume as on price are more likely to accept lower offers, whereas individuals are more likely to hold out for a high price.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
If you weren't wanting to brag then you would not have posted this.
Maybe I wanted actual sellers opinions such as the ones provided?

Don't be a grumpy troll.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

I like to offer $10 on all mike trout autos in hopes that one seller accidentally hits accept then i strong arm him into following through with the deal by threatening him with negative feedback.... If he doesnt go through with the transaction i usually mail him anthrax or win all of his auctions and never pay on a ghost account so he has to relist everything

Merry christmas
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmecum51 View Post
I like to offer $10 on all mike trout autos in hopes that one seller accidentally hits accept then i strong arm him into following through with the deal by threatening him with negative feedback.... If he doesnt go through with the transaction i usually mail him anthrax or win all of his auctions and never pay on a ghost account so he has to relist everything

Merry christmas
Note to self....when I list a Trout auto....block this user...haha

Thanks for the opinions, help etc.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I was curious who else has had this experience. I recently got back into collecting and am doing way more selling than buying but I'm still a sucker for Ichiro cards, Griffey Ripken etc.

Over the past month, I occasionally scour ebay and find "or best offer" listings. I find a card that looks cool, do a search on completed listings and see that what they're asking is somewhat fair market value (usually 70% of BV). Well at times it's more than what I want to pay, so out of anger and/or if I'm feeling grumpy, I lowball the crap out of the poor guy. I did this to three separate ebayers (Who I apologize to) and two of the three didn't even counter, but took my offer.

For example, there was a 2012 Topps Triple thread Ichiro Onyx card I think? It booked for $20 or something, the guy had it for $15...I was angry and offer him $4,...he took it. I was shocked, I then browsed through his other listings found two more cards I wanted and offer him half of what he wanted and he took both of those offers too! So shipping costs be $3 total and I get three sweet cards for what appears to be WAY cheaper than Fair market value.

Am I being scammed here? OR are dealers just that way sometimes or am I lucky?

Please note, I'm not trying to brag here in any way, 99% of the users on here have more cards than I do....I'm a newbie to buying/selling with ebay. I collected in the 90s.
What's your Ebay ID??

I'd like to save the time and just block you now...
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

I would give you $11 for the Pujols! Just kidding and amazing pickup!
STLCARDINALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post
What's your Ebay ID??

I'd like to save the time and just block you now...
Seriously.