Blowout Cards Forums
Powerful Savings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Indians Collector's Thread

Hey guys,

I have noticed a lot of Indians collectors on here. Maybe this thread idea will take off maybe it won't. I live in Medina, half hour south of Cleveland, and am a huge fan, have been my whole life. I have collected on and off for 15 years or so. I am part of a Team Collector's Group and Team Box Break Group in which I represent the Indians for both. I accumulate a ton of doubles. I would love to send you guys some of them for your considerations of players I collect.

I also just like to chit chat about the Indians. What are we doing in free agency, what do we like the Antonelli does (is there anything)... Do we really want Swisher for four years? Anything and everything.

My biggest current player collection is Jim Thome. I have others that I do sometimes, Cliff Lee, Kipnis, Josh Barfield (i know i know) and Cord Phelps.

Who do you collect?
What do you expect from the Indians this year?
Do you guys go to the auto signings for the Tribe on Tour event they do? Know of any other signings?
Who is good for TTM?

Well, I think I'm done ranting. If you're in I would love to get to know you guys! Thanks!

Jaycob

171/991 2012 Topps On-Card Autographs
ClevelandIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've been a tribe fan and collector since the days of waiting out in front of Municipal Stadium and getting autos from the likes of Belle, Baerga and Alomar.

Which is why I still collect 90's Indians inserts. It's great finding the tough to get inserts that I drooled over as an 11 year old and being able to pick them up now for a buck or two.

As for the current state of the team.... It's a train wreck. Bad MLB roster and an even worse farm system. The Bauer deal was a step in the right direction, but there is still a long way to go.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have family in Medina...I know a few other guys on here are from the area, too. Perhaps a little meet-up some night is in order...

1) My main collection is Jason Kipnis, but I also have side projects of Zach McAllister and Francisco Lindor, as well as Naquin (to a lesser extent).

2) I expect another very solid start, followed by another collapse...call it the norm.

3) Tribe on Tour is no longer...this year, they're doing TribeFest at Progressive Field in January. Kipnis, Santana, Chiz, McAllister, Aviles, Francona, Kluber, Allen, Pestano, and maybe one or two others will be signing. Just Google it for more info.

4) I never send to the Indians TTM because I do a significant amount of in person 'graphing. If you need anyone on the Columbus or Akron rosters this year, just let me know and I'll try to help out. I landed about half a dozen Kipnis autographs this way in 2011 and am more than willing to help.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am from Old Brooklyn. I used to have season tickets up until a few yrs ago. Now I go to a handful of games and just buy good seats.

I collect Kipnis, Santana and Chisenhall. I have a nice collection of their rookies but I'm mostly on the memorabilia side of it.

I don't expect much this year. As long as the Dolan's are in charge, they are going no where. I like the Bauer trade but they need to spend the money on players in their prime that can help. I'm not sold on Swisher. I think his stats are inflated quite a bit since he played in a small park. Plus I just don't see him as a guy worth $50 million. Of course a lot of guys aren't but that is another thread.

I used to get a lot of IP autos at the park before and after games. Now I just wait for signings. There is a place in Rocky River called GPS Gift Gallery who has Indians signing every year. Usually 3-5 signings during the season. Varies from current, minor league or retired players. He's had guys like Kipnis, Santana, Lindor, Lofton and Vizquel to name a few. The prices are pretty reasonable too. I'm interested to see what this years schedule will be.

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/jataman2612/
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Stopped in to see if anyone was here....
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

@TJForce...

I couldn't agree more about the current state of the team. They are making steps in the right direction but I don't think they have drafted that well recently either. I didn't like the Naquin pick, I haven't read a ton on him so maybe I'm just wrong but I don't think he has the frame to transform into a great baseball player. Seems like another Trevor Crowe to me. Still hope I'm wrong though. As for off season moves we didn't do the one thing we need, get a major league ready starter. If they bring Bauer up at the start of the season (which I don't think they will) he could be what we needed but the questions of his attitude worry me. We added the AL and NL strikeout of a year ago to a roster that already strikes out a lot, big red flag to me. Verlander and Sale might have 15 K games against us.

Anyway, is there anything in particular of Belle, Baerga or Alomar you are still looking for or just cards you come across that you like? I might have some doubles of stuff here and there I can send your way!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Fellow tribe fan and collector here. Grew up in the 90s collecting cards as a young lad, now just recently got back in the whole card collecting thing. Man, just thinking about the 90's brings back soooo many memories that I'll never forget

1) Main collection is Lindor, Naquin and a little bit of Kipnis.

2) I expect this year to be rough I don't see ANY way we can have a hot start and fade like the past two years. Unfortunately we'll be fading all year. I do however see the organization taking steps in the right direction. Our drafts have been solid in the past few years and our farm system is slowly building (lots of good talent in A ball). We should trade Asdrubal (I think he's overrated) and Perez for some good young talent to bolster the farm system.

3) Not sure if I'll be going to Tribe Fest this year? I did go to Arizona for ST last year and got tons and tons of autos. However, I still have 2 game used Chizz jerseys I need to get signed so that may make the trip worth it!

4) No idea about TTM.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just picked up a nice item of Kipnis, I will scan it and post in here when I get it. Most I've spent on one of his cards yet, pretty excited to see it in person. I will have to search Tribe Fest, I will absolutely go to that. Seems like the best of our roster will be there.

I get very few IP autos anymore, but its something I use to love to do. A few years ago I went to a lot of Akron and Mahoning Valley games to get the guys coming up. I don't very many of the players on the current roster though. Would be fun to start getting some of the Ginter and Heritage cards signed.

And as for a meet-up definitely something we could try and plan. Maybe do some trading and some busting of boxes.

Look forward to keeping this thread alive though with posting maildays and what not, thanks for reading and posting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
I have family in Medina...I know a few other guys on here are from the area, too. Perhaps a little meet-up some night is in order...

1) My main collection is Jason Kipnis, but I also have side projects of Zach McAllister and Francisco Lindor, as well as Naquin (to a lesser extent).

2) I expect another very solid start, followed by another collapse...call it the norm.

3) Tribe on Tour is no longer...this year, they're doing TribeFest at Progressive Field in January. Kipnis, Santana, Chiz, McAllister, Aviles, Francona, Kluber, Allen, Pestano, and maybe one or two others will be signing. Just Google it for more info.

4) I never send to the Indians TTM because I do a significant amount of in person 'graphing. If you need anyone on the Columbus or Akron rosters this year, just let me know and I'll try to help out. I landed about half a dozen Kipnis autographs this way in 2011 and am more than willing to help.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Any good card shops in Cleveland???? I currently live in Michigan, so I have no idea.

Would be nice to stop in when I visit Cleveland, maybe even for Tribe Fest.

Also @ClevelandIC I agree 100% we should keep this alive and post any Cleveland hits or mail days in the future!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't know about card shops in Cleveland. I have never actively looked but I have a good one in Medina I go to. He actually had some of his shop and inventory damaged in a fire last year but he has opened back up and usually sells to me at or below BO's prices and I don't have to pay shipping.

And I will be posting my pick-ups in here as they come in for sure, as long as others post I will continue too as well! Roll Tribe!

Jaycob

Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
Any good card shops in Cleveland???? I currently live in Michigan, so I have no idea.

Would be nice to stop in when I visit Cleveland, maybe even for Tribe Fest.

Also @ClevelandIC I agree 100% we should keep this alive and post any Cleveland hits or mail days in the future!
There are a few ok ones. They aren't as good as they used to be. Grandslam Sportscards in Bainbridge (422 & 306 near Aurora)is probably the best. He has a ton of wax and his prices are good.

Ohio Estates Coin shop in Parma is ok. A little pricy and not as good wax selection as they used to have. B&B in Fairview Park has a lot of wax but haven't been there in awhile.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm fairly optimistic about this year as long as we make a couple more moves. I think we need to sign Swisher and I think we need to trade Perez for a starter that we can put in the rotation (don't know if anybody is in the market for a closer).

There would still be a lot of "if's" but when aren't there. If Carrasco comes back strong, if Chisenhall comes back strong, if Masterson/Ubaldo recover from the junk they tossed last year, if Bauer ends up helping out in the rotation, it could be a good year!!
Boqueesha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just found the TribeFest page. Sounds pretty good to me!

Tribe Fest 2013 | indians.com: Fan Forum

It says there will be old Indians there too, wonder if they have a list of who else will be attending.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Unfortunitly for me its on a weekend and I'll miss it again this year.
rtcrules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Dallas88228

i have a asdrubral cabrera gold ref bowman chrome rc if any of you indians collectors are interested PM me thanks
Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Tribe fan here! Im up in Shaker.

I used to buy a lot of Asdrubal during the season but i've slowed down recently because of all the trade rumors. I also really like buying Kipnis and Lindor. I wouldn't call it a PC of them yet but its something.

I am just hoping that we get Swisher. He really doesnt have many other options. Seattle was in talks with him, but since they got Morales i think they dropped out of the running for Swisher st that point.

As for card shops, i pretty much live in the heart of a Card shop crater. There is literally nothing within a 20 minute radius of me. There used to be a great on called Mezzanine Sports Cards, but they unfortunately closed. I did go to one in Canton that was pretty mediocre.

Anyway, maybe i'll see guys at Tribe on tour or something in the future, definitely like the idea of this thread
Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandIC View Post
I just picked up a nice item of Kipnis, I will scan it and post in here when I get it. Most I've spent on one of his cards yet, pretty excited to see it in person. I will have to search Tribe Fest, I will absolutely go to that. Seems like the best of our roster will be there.

I get very few IP autos anymore, but its something I use to love to do. A few years ago I went to a lot of Akron and Mahoning Valley games to get the guys coming up. I don't very many of the players on the current roster though. Would be fun to start getting some of the Ginter and Heritage cards signed.

And as for a meet-up definitely something we could try and plan. Maybe do some trading and some busting of boxes.

Look forward to keeping this thread alive though with posting maildays and what not, thanks for reading and posting!
Look forward to seeing it! My Kipnis stuff is nothing too incredible, but a decent selection of cards, a couple 1/1's, and a number of signed pieces. I'll have a big mailday post in the coming days as I wait for another package to come in...have a bunch of stuff unscanned that came in recently. Oh, that reminds me...my #1 guy is Eric Berger (see avatar) but he doesn't have much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandIC View Post
Just found the TribeFest page. Sounds pretty good to me!

Tribe Fest 2013 | indians.com: Fan Forum

It says there will be old Indians there too, wonder if they have a list of who else will be attending.
I can guarantee Charbonneau and Barker will be there...they're at every Indians event (Tribe on Tour, other MiLB events, etc.). If you guys are going...drop a post and perhaps we can meet up!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Huge Tribe fan here in WV, just a stones throw over the Ohio River to Ohio. Its getting late so I'll keep my 2013 thoughts for another day, but I collect Kipnis (my fav) , Santana and Lindor. I was a big Sipp fan hate to see him go. I don't get to many games because of the drive but still make 10-15 a year. I might look into the Tribe Fest, sounds like a fun time. Look forward to keeping this thread active, thanks for starting it.

GO TRIBE
ShadeTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

Tribe Fest looks interesting. I wonder if all the guys are signing both days or if there is a schedule. Either way, would love to get some Chisenhall stuff signed for my collection.

When I get a chance I will post some pics of what I have.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

Not a Tribe fan, but I do have their team set from 2012 Card Gen.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Not sure I'm a "collector" - well I am of Tribe memorobilia - but I try to at least pick up a few Bowman Chrome RC Autos of all the guys. Just picked up a few Bauers.

Been a season ticket holder personally for a few years - in the family for over 50 - been a rough time. Haha
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

Glad to find some other Tribe Fans out there! It seems we all have our own man-crush on Kipnis! (assuming everyone who has posted is male, I apologize if not) 10-15 games a year is pretty good! I'm closer to 7 or 8 games a year but make it a tradition to go on opening day for the last 5 years! Hopefully we can keep this going, I have been a member of a lot of message boards and have always found the Indians fans were few and far between until I came here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTree View Post
Huge Tribe fan here in WV, just a stones throw over the Ohio River to Ohio. Its getting late so I'll keep my 2013 thoughts for another day, but I collect Kipnis (my fav) , Santana and Lindor. I was a big Sipp fan hate to see him go. I don't get to many games because of the drive but still make 10-15 a year. I might look into the Tribe Fest, sounds like a fun time. Look forward to keeping this thread active, thanks for starting it.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #23 (permalink)

I was thinking the same thing. I am gonna bring two of my brothers and my nephew and I think I might go both days to get cards one day and bats/balls another!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jataman2612 View Post
Tribe Fest looks interesting. I wonder if all the guys are signing both days or if there is a schedule. Either way, would love to get some Chisenhall stuff signed for my collection.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #24 (permalink)

On those card what does the Star Rating mean? I am kinda surprised they would put those on there, wouldn't that kind of suck to find your card and see you only have one star? What do I know. If I was a major league baseball player I'm sure that would be the last thing I would worry about.

Hopefully will stop back in with Today's Mail!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataman2612 View Post

I would assume all the guys will be there both days (like Tribe on Tour typically had been), but it'll be damn near impossible to get them all, and it'll be one per.