Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper RC, Authentic?

So I took a chance on buying one of thes on an auction last week. It looked to be in decent near mint condition, and it was for the PC. I did not realize how many fakes were out there until the guy at my LCS cautioned me about them. I asked him how to spot the difference and he really had no clue, just that I should have bought a graded one. I did some research online, but there are a few differing opinions out there. I figured I'd pust a picture here and see if anyone had any insight. I am probably going to send it off to BGS or PSA after Christmas.

Last edited by ageofreason13; 01-12-2013 at 04:49 PM.
ageofreason13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hope this helps:

How To Spot Fake 1991 Topps Desert Shield Cards Sports Card Info
Old 12-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have had a lot of those pass through my hands and none have looked like that. I am afraid that that is most likely fake. I actually had like 30 packs back in 2004 or so, I think I got $25 a pack at that time.
hearseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Man I would love to have a PSA 9 Chipper Jones Desert Storm rookie card!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearseguy View Post
I have had a lot of those pass through my hands and none have looked like that. I am afraid that that is most likely fake. I actually had like 30 packs back in 2004 or so, I think I got $25 a pack at that time.
That's what I was affraid of... guy sells a bunch of these and has really solid feedback so I didn't think twice about bidding. At least I am protected. Do you have a close up picture of one of the stamps on your cards or can you take one?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Looks just like the example of the fake:

How To Spot Fake 1991 Topps Desert Shield Cards

Posted on May 21, 2008 by sportscardinfo
In 1991 Topps created a series of baseball cards called 1991 Topps Desert Shield. These cards were sent to the American Troops during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. They look just like the 1991 Topps base cards except for the Desert Shield logo on the front of each card. There were 15 cards per pack. The Desert Shield cards are very collectible and people have created fake versions that can easily trick collectors. The Desert Shield logo on the fake cards is really bright in color. It almost has a gold look to it. The real ones have a silver, less bright color on them. Sellers have become very tricky while trying to sell these on eBay. If someone tries to sell a fake card they will darken the photo to make the logo look as if it is silver versus gold. If you are trying to put this set together and you find a card up for sale online the best way to go is to buy one that is graded and/or certified. Below I have a picture of the fake and real Desert Shield logos. The fake logo is on the LEFT and the real one is on the RIGHT.

Here you can see how a seller tried to pass the card on the left off as real. They tried to darken the photo to change the color of the logo.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the links. I had seen that one, and and the one I bought is not the bright gold he describes. All of them should be gold from what I have read, but the fakes are more raised and more shiney. The PSA article on it was the best I had read, but some of those details are really hard to distinguish. I was hoping there would be a member here that collects them or has seen a lot recently that would know better to look for and I think hearseguy gave me my answer.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
Looks just like the example of the fake:

How To Spot Fake 1991 Topps Desert Shield Cards

Posted on May 21, 2008 by sportscardinfo
In 1991 Topps created a series of baseball cards called 1991 Topps Desert Shield. These cards were sent to the American Troops during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. They look just like the 1991 Topps base cards except for the Desert Shield logo on the front of each card. There were 15 cards per pack. The Desert Shield cards are very collectible and people have created fake versions that can easily trick collectors. The Desert Shield logo on the fake cards is really bright in color. It almost has a gold look to it. The real ones have a silver, less bright color on them. Sellers have become very tricky while trying to sell these on eBay. If someone tries to sell a fake card they will darken the photo to make the logo look as if it is silver versus gold. If you are trying to put this set together and you find a card up for sale online the best way to go is to buy one that is graded and/or certified. Below I have a picture of the fake and real Desert Shield logos. The fake logo is on the LEFT and the real one is on the RIGHT.

Here you can see how a seller tried to pass the card on the left off as real. They tried to darken the photo to change the color of the logo.

In the article it says the opposite, that the "The fake logo is on the (top) right and the real one is on the (top) left."
Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
In the article it says the opposite, that the "The fake logo is on the (top) right and the real one is on the (top) left."
True, but if you read the comments below he says that he made a mistake and it is the reverse.

I just fixed the text rather than put up bad info.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
Yes, and then in the photos he switches it up and says the scans on the left are fakes. I have one that is definitely a fake IMO, but from what I have read there are some fairly decent fakes out there too. I'll get the picture of the other up in a second/

Last edited by ageofreason13; 12-23-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofreason13 View Post
Thanks for the links. I had seen that one, and and the one I bought is not the bright gold he describes. All of them should be gold from what I have read, but the fakes are more raised and more shiney. The PSA article on it was the best I had read, but some of those details are really hard to distinguish. I was hoping there would be a member here that collects them or has seen a lot recently that would know better to look for and I think hearseguy gave me my answer.
There is less detail and more of a gold foil stamp in the fakes.

The scan you post looks like a darkened picture with much less detail.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

I took that picture with my phone, so I know it has not been darkened to hide it. However, I do see what you are saying on the details. Ironically, the only reason I went to the LCS was to see if they wanted the extra Desert Shield card the seller included. We noticed that the stamps were not the same which was the first time I had even thought about it being fake. Here is a picture of the other card, and one with the stamps side by side. Took them just now, no alterations.

Last edited by ageofreason13; 12-23-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Will somebody buy me one of these for Christmas? A real one?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

The best picture of a graded on I could find on ebay, looks a lot like the one I have which is why I am so uncertain about it. Of course it is entirely possible that BGS authenticated a fake. The PSA cards don't show up as well in pictures.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

I don't have any scans, they are all long gone. Your scan just looks as if it really lacks definition, you can correct me if I am wrong. Some are really hard to tell without seeing it in person. I know these were faked by a lot of people and some are better than others. This is just my opinion, I have been wrong before and will be again. I hope it works out for you, those are really nice cards. Good luck.

Jeremy
Old 12-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

SOUTH PARK rules!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

In a real one you should be able to take a magnifying glass and actually count the stars on the flag right? The fakes are usually to blurry to do this. When I get one of these I will just buy it graded already, along with the Topps Tiffany version as these are the only two I need of his rc's.
joshb_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Default !

This set and card is a real sore spot for me...some history of these cards from the land of Iraq.

I spent several months on the front lines before we went into Iraq. I heard that Topps had released the set and sent God only knows how many packs to the troops. I say God only knows because I never saw one even though I spent lots of time asking for them, had people that went to the rear ask about them and search for them. NOTHING!!!! Not one damn pack

As the story goes most of the mail was handled by Reserve and National Guard units (no disrepect intended just facts) and the cards never made it out of the mail rooms. Most were sent back to the USA through contacts with LCS's and sold to people that they were not intended for.

As far as telling which card is a fake...I don't have a clue!
C&M Sports Memorabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Yeah, by the scans you post I can see the difficulty.

I guess just have it graded and back before your 45 days are up.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Is there a way you can get a picture with more light focused on the stamp, I think that will help.

Jeremy
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

I reckon I will do a 2 day sub after Christmas with it and my Middlebrooks gold... I'll see if I can get a better picture. The stars are there and countable, but not in the 4 3 4 3 pattern that most mention
Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ageofreason: Hi, My non-expert opinion is that your card looks legit. I have been working on this set for over a decade. Also, from the link that was posted above, the logo on the RIGHT is the one that is fake, not vice-versa.

I'd also like to dispute the suggestion above that none of the cards actually made it to Iraq. Most of the top 10 PSA registry participants in this set are all Iraq veterans and they all started their collections with cards they received while in Iraq. I may ask James Dial, who is part of that group, to come take a look at the CJ above. He's better at me than spotting fakes.

Hope that helps,
Mcadams
mcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcadams View Post
ageofreason: Hi, my non-expert opinion is that your card looks legit. I have been working on this set for over a decade. Also, from the link that was posted above, the logo on the right is the one that is fake, not vice-versa.

I'd also like to dispute the suggestion above that none of the cards actually made it to iraq. Most of the top 10 psa registry participants in this set are all iraq veterans and they all started their collections with cards they received while in iraq. I may ask james dial, who is part of that group, to come take a look at the cj above. He's better at me than spotting fakes.

Hope that helps,
mcadams
I didn't say they didn't make it to Iraq- they didn't, they stayed in the rear in Suadi. I said they didn't make it to the troops they were intended for. They never got past the troops in the rear and most never made it past the mail handlers. I served several months in Suadi on the front lines and went into Iraq when the ground war started. When I finally got to the rear to ship home I couldn't find not only a pack but not one card nor could any of the other front line soldiers that I knew.

I told you it was a real sore spot for me- sorry for the rant!!!
C&M Sports Memorabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&M Sports Memorabil View Post
I didn't say they didn't make it to Iraq- they didn't, they stayed in the rear in Suadi. I said they didn't make it to the troops they were intended for. They never got past the troops in the rear and most never made it past the mail handlers. I served several months in Suadi on the front lines and went into Iraq when the ground war started. When I finally got to the rear to ship home I couldn't find not only a pack but not one card nor could any of the other front line soldiers that I knew.

I told you it was a real sore spot for me- sorry for the rant!!!
I'll back you up on this.
It is also true that cases of these were taken by just a few people and sent back to the states before most troops found out about them. It's sad that a few "stole" them from the rest.
notsublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

here are scans of the 2 graded Griffey cards I have - both are fairly detailed but against the different background colors, look very different...

Friarg is offline   Reply With Quote