Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #51 (permalink)

the member ttmtrader101 is a pretty good prospector. Why not ask him?
ToppsCollector1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #52 (permalink)

There are so many different things to look at as you can see by the replies in the thread. You have to look for something within a player and go with a gut feeling. There are some players who are great in college/minors but don't transition well into the majors.

The biggest flop that I have seen has been LaPorta. Everyone was hyping this kid up and no his items are worthless.

It's a gamble. But go with a few stats that you like in a player and go from there.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonStatus View Post
There are so many different things to look at as you can see by the replies in the thread. You have to look for something within a player and go with a gut feeling. There are some players who are great in college/minors but don't transition well into the majors.

The biggest flop that I have seen has been LaPorta. Everyone was hyping this kid up and no his items are worthless.

It's a gamble. But go with a few stats that you like in a player and go from there.
i lost on a laporta, think i bought it for 60 and sold for 6, lol

Don't be so hard on me, I'm already a Knick fan!
dasiegel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
i lost on a laporta, think i bought it for 60 and sold for 6, lol
i wonder how certain guys will be like castellanos, brad miller and other non power guys.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by messier2 View Post
2. BUY SLEEPERS- Don't buy guys that are already high priced. Buy guys under the radar cheaply and if they go off, you win BIG. If they suck, at least you didn't put that much money into them so it's cool. Sleepers have a tremendous ROI.
Good luck!
And Thats the best way to do that,
Everyone in 2010 was all hyped up on other guys, i bought a nice amount of noah syndergaards his cards sold for barely nothing now his chrome auto sells for 16-20 it is all about those hidden gems

Yeah, its nice and warm... and it's loaded with sharks.
jedi500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #56 (permalink)

I think that stats really matter, I like to watch how the main guys in A+ and AA are doing, I give less weight to A and below. The league leaders often get called up to AAA and or the majors shortly after killing AA and there is a lot of hype at those levels for the undiscovered producers when people start seeing they are for real. Brad Miller is a guy I found that way. Billy Hamilton I also found that way, just watchign league leaders who are young and sell for cheap.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #57 (permalink)

The way I see it, if you manage to get some good prospect stuff you sell it off immediatly while they're in the spotlight. If you hang on too long you'll never get the same value that you could've gotten when the prospects had all the potential in the world.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
The way I see it, if you manage to get some good prospect stuff you sell it off immediatly while they're in the spotlight. If you hang on too long you'll never get the same value that you could've gotten when the prospects had all the potential in the world.
no i totally agree, but certain younger guys u can hold. like matt den dekker had a solid year but his prices are kinda low. he's someone ud hold, unlike oscar taveras who couldn't get any higher unless he turns into mike trout.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
no i totally agree, but certain younger guys u can hold. like matt den dekker had a solid year but his prices are kinda low. he's someone ud hold, unlike oscar taveras who couldn't get any higher unless he turns into mike trout.
Personally I wouldn't hold anybody. I understand that some prospects will actually reach the majors and manage to stay there.
But IMO the only thing that's pushing card prices up is hype. And because there's no garauntee that they'll ever see the same hype again I just look at the moment in time when they do have some sort of hype as the best time to sell.
Dekker might be a solid major leaguer one day, but that doesn't mean that his card's will ever have the same value as Taveras' ones do now. I'm not saying that they can't, but they're getting slimmer and slimmer as the spotlight keeps going towards the newest batch of prospects while Dekker marches towards the big leagues and either ends up being another major leaguer but not a superstar who's cards are going to break anyone's bank or another failed prospect.
Now there are prospects who eventually go on to be superstars, but trying to hit the jackpot with them is the biggest gamble of all.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
Personally I wouldn't hold anybody. I understand that some prospects will actually reach the majors and manage to stay there.
But IMO the only thing that's pushing card prices up is hype. And because there's no garauntee that they'll ever see the same hype again I just look at the moment in time when they do have some sort of hype as the best time to sell.
Dekker might be a solid major leaguer one day, but that doesn't mean that his card's will ever have the same value as Taveras' ones do now. I'm not saying that they can't, but they're getting slimmer and slimmer as the spotlight keeps going towards the newest batch of prospects while Dekker marches towards the big leagues and either ends up being another major leaguer but not a superstar who's cards are going to break anyone's bank or another failed prospect.
Now there are prospects who eventually go on to be superstars, but trying to hit the jackpot with them is the biggest gamble of all.
I hear you and generally agree but my point is that you can find some good short term investments by checking who is hot that hasn't gotten hyped because when they get their hype, you win, if they never get it, you break even or lose only a little.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
I hear you and generally agree but my point is that you can find some good short term investments by checking who is hot that hasn't gotten hyped because when they get their hype, you win, if they never get it, you break even or lose only a little.
Yeah that's definitely true.
I've tried that method as well, although I've ended up failing everytime lol .
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #62 (permalink)

well, that has been the only way i've done ok so far but im also new to this and holding things from last season. how do you know who to buy then? because if you buy people on the hype, they are already priced high. i gotta figure the best way to buy is to buy prospects who's numbers warrant them moving up on the list and getting more recognition.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
well, that has been the only way i've done ok so far but im also new to this and holding things from last season. how do you know who to buy then? because if you buy people on the hype, they are already priced high. i gotta figure the best way to buy is to buy prospects who's numbers warrant them moving up on the list and getting more recognition.
I get what you're saying.

When I said you have to sell off your cards immediately I meant you might have to sell off your assetts immediately if they're the hyped-up prospects that can get you some big bucks. I didn't mean that you have to sell every prospect card as quick as possible, as some of the undervalued ones now could find ways to blow up (value-wise) in the future. Just the ones whose cards are selling for prices they'll probably never meet again. There's at least one of those in every product, like in 2012 we went from Tavaras to Soler to Zuzino. I'm just saying that if you manage to hit those sort of hyped up prospects, you're best option might be selling them off ASAP. And for the rest, just keep them for now and let time tell if they'll amount to anything or not.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #64 (permalink)

i agree, i definiely let some prospects drop in value like trevor bauer. meanwhile some like jose fernandez, im gonna hold bc he looks to only go up in stock. when the hype gets really big at AA or AAA i guess i have learned that is the time to let them go, especially pitchers.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

One thing you can do to sort of get your feet wet is to start with your favorite team especially if you live close and can listen to broadcasts, sports radio, etc. You'll hear about guys long before anyone else in another city does. I had quite a few Yasmani Grandal auto's and sold them the night he hit two home runs from both sides of the plate. I never would have bought them to begin with had he not been a Reds prospect.

I follow this up by paying close attention to who/what the rest of the teams in the NL Central have in the minors. Granted it's not as in depth as what the Reds are doing but at least I have a pretty good idea of who their Billy Hamilton is, so to speak, even if it's more as a fan than as a prospector.

I have a few Shelby Miller auto's simply because I hear enough about the Cardinals to know who he is.

I couldn't tell you who Seattle's top prospect is w/out looking it up.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
One thing you can do to sort of get your feet wet is to start with your favorite team especially if you live close and can listen to broadcasts, sports radio, etc. You'll hear about guys long before anyone else in another city does. I had quite a few Yasmani Grandal auto's and sold them the night he hit two home runs from both sides of the plate. I never would have bought them to begin with had he not been a Reds prospect.

I follow this up by paying close attention to who/what the rest of the teams in the NL Central have in the minors. Granted it's not as in depth as what the Reds are doing but at least I have a pretty good idea of who their Billy Hamilton is, so to speak, even if it's more as a fan than as a prospector.

I have a few Shelby Miller auto's simply because I hear enough about the Cardinals to know who he is.

I couldn't tell you who Seattle's top prospect is w/out looking it up.
that's a good idea, this year will really be the first year where i see if what i bought last year paid off. incidentally i hear bad things about shelby miller, the thought on him is sell sell sell, allegedly has some off field issues and a bad work ethic?

Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

If you want a prospect auto get the bowman chrome auto version !!!!!! It may cost you at first but will pay off if he goes big. Also, buy a few of each player your interested in. Be very selective about the centering and the quality of the autograph. That way you can send them to Beckett grading and get a good auto grade and a good card grade. That's the way I do it.
ryan_cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #68 (permalink)
Banned

Also go find the top 20 prospect list work on gettin an auto of every guy multiple if possible bowman chrome is your best bet again. If they don't have a chrome get a platinum or sterling and a nice one get the top 20 list get em graded of u have good selection of cards and they're nice autos hopefully most get 9, 9.5, and 10's with 9 or 10 autos and go that way as an investment. Did that in 2010 and paid off big time still have a few wallet miller etc Im waiting on. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_cards View Post
Also go find the top 20 prospect list work on gettin an auto of every guy multiple if possible bowman chrome is your best bet again. If they don't have a chrome get a platinum or sterling and a nice one get the top 20 list get em graded of u have good selection of cards and they're nice autos hopefully most get 9, 9.5, and 10's with 9 or 10 autos and go that way as an investment. Did that in 2010 and paid off big time still have a few wallet miller etc Im waiting on. Just my 2 cents
yea i always check the prospect lists whcih is funny bc out of 20 prospects 15 usually just stink startign at AAA but unfortunately thats where the hype is, if you aren't on those lists, don't even buy bc if you are nasty, u will end up on that list see: Dan Straily!

Also couldn't agree more with Bowman Chrome, its actually embarassing, I just bought a box of Sterling for $260 and the autos aren't even worth as much as chrome, almost sad really.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #70 (permalink)
Banned

Ya sterling is like a backup kinda If u want an auto of the guy that's all it is
Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #71 (permalink)

it just stinks that if u dont go chrome and get a hit any rookie auto is like bleh. like platinum is usually what, 100 a box. if in 2010 u bought platinum and held everythign from the box til now... and you pulled a trout auto, the most your making from that box is like 75 bucks or so. Other products should have more value, although you do only get 1 auto in chrome so its hard to get a color of a good guy.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #72 (permalink)
Banned

Us but if u save that 60 Or so on a box Of chrome u may as well do get a nice auto of a guy instead
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

I propect the first pack I buy of the product. Whoever the bowman draft card is in my first pack will be the guy who I invest in!!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_cards View Post
Us but if u save that 60 Or so on a box Of chrome u may as well do get a nice auto of a guy instead
i couldn't agree with you more. my point is just that as the business part of it i by singles but i also enjopy the hobby part of chance and luck and have had some awesome pulls in my day. but you have to know what to buy. in theory chrome has better autos than any other brand but i'd rather get 18 autos in a box of sterling when u break it down.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #75 (permalink)
Banned

ya i guess if u want value for your 60$ get a pack of sterling and 3 autos to be safer