Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Card Shops In/Near Columbus, OH

Anyone here know of any good shops in the area?? I'm up here visiting my pops and would like to take a quick visit to a shop. I've been to Chuck and Barbs (Great people) but the prices are steep.

Thanks for any input!
Cincyfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

my wife's fam is out that way, the only halfway decent shop I know of is in tiffin, but i think thats a good hour from columbus. not a whole lot going on out there with cards
thenwhatjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Chuck and Barb's in Upper Arlington. Just northwest of campus.
GoTribe!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyfan5 View Post
Anyone here know of any good shops in the area?? I'm up here visiting my pops and would like to take a quick visit to a shop. I've been to Chuck and Barbs (Great people) but the prices are steep.

Thanks for any input!
Unfortunately C&B's is the best in town. I've been going there for 15 years. Nicest people in the world, and you know you are getting legit product (only place I'd buy boxes) but their prices just aren't competitive with where you can get things online. There isn't a thing I'd buy there anymore except sealed boxes and that's only because I pay a premium to get them local and be 100% sure they aren't messed with.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatjk View Post
my wife's fam is out that way, the only halfway decent shop I know of is in tiffin, but i think thats a good hour from columbus. not a whole lot going on out there with cards
That's being generous. When I went there was I think about 8 total boxes of baseball to pick from.

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lots of product last week but prices way too high. I'm visiting too Amanda am really disappointed that there are only 3 shops in all of Columbus.

Anyone know about Dayton or Indy? Headed through there tomorrow.
cyberpvnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqeeshy View Post
That's being generous. When I went there was I think about 8 total boxes of baseball to pick from.

I've been there twice, the first time was bad, the second time he had a few different bowman products to choose from, i ended up doing a 2010 bc for like $55 which I thought was good, he also said he was getting ready to move across the way into a bigger place, so it seemed like things were going in the right direction
thenwhatjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatjk View Post
I've been there twice, the first time was bad, the second time he had a few different bowman products to choose from, i ended up doing a 2010 bc for like $55 which I thought was good, he also said he was getting ready to move across the way into a bigger place, so it seemed like things were going in the right direction
I will say his prices are spot on with the product he does have. I did a box of 2010 BDPP for $75 back in August.

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

C&B's is DEFINITELY NOT the best in town. They are very high on prices and do not negotiate. They don't have a lot of new stuff as far as singles.

Two good shops are Mark's Sports Cards Plus. Good guy with lots of new singles and tons of wax. He is fair on all his prices. He does talk a lot though so be prepared for that lol.

https://www.facebook.com/MarksSports...lus?ref=stream

Then there is Neuhart Cards (Keith), who is actually a member on here. Keith's store is the top store in Columbus. He has tons of new singles, usually a good amount of new and some older (basketball - Drose Rookie year) Wax. He has Rookie Boxes/Auto Boxes and Jersey Boxes to go through. He usually will make you good deals on singles, better than ebay most of the time.

Neuhart Cards

If you go to either, Tell them Ryan sent you. Trust me, these are MUCH better than Chuck and Barbs. No Question.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

FYI Do not waste your time going to C&B's or Hartman's. Neither are worth your time.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

You could try Triple Play over off of Westerville road. Heven't been there in a while but Ron's a great dude. Prices are nowhere close to internet but he usually gives a good deal if you spend a couple hundo.
RestoreTheRoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoreTheRoar View Post
You could try Triple Play over off of Westerville road. Heven't been there in a while but Ron's a great dude. Prices are nowhere close to internet but he usually gives a good deal if you spend a couple hundo.
Couldn't disagree more with this statement (Other than the overpriced). I spent over $1,500 on multiple occasions and very rarely received any discounts. This is probably the worst shop in Columbus as far as buying. Ron was definitely a d!ck head and just not a guy you feel like talking to. Avoid Triple Play.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCollector View Post
Couldn't disagree more with this statement (Other than the overpriced). I spent over $1,500 on multiple occasions and very rarely received any discounts. This is probably the worst shop in Columbus as far as buying. Ron was definitely a d!ck head and just not a guy you feel like talking to. Avoid Triple Play.
Wow - completely different experiences. After buying from him a couple times he would call me when new products came in and would knock of 20% every time I bought a couple boxes.

Edit - would also throw in enough a couple packs of peeny sleeves and a 50 pack of toploaders if I dropped a couple hundred.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow - completely different experiences. After buying from him a couple times he would call me when new products came in and would knock of 20% every time I bought a couple boxes.
Wow! That is awesome. I spent over 1,700 on the Fathers Day Promotions. I bought EVERY Single box they had but 4. First I went in , spent 400. Went out to the car and busted em with a friend. Went back in 5 more times and cleaned out. Went in for the last few times, and he told me I was not allowed to buy anymore because they are supposed to last "all weekend". Not sure what difference it makes if I buy them all or if someone else does? ESPECIALLY because I was not given a discount. This was the second time I had spent over a grand in there with little to no discounts. Refuse to go back.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Edit - would also throw in enough a couple packs of peeny sleeves and a 50 pack of toploaders if I dropped a couple hundred.
Edit - Yeah he did give a two row box, 1 pack of soft sleeves and 2 packs of toploaders. I bought 24 boxes of wax though.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCollector View Post
Wow! That is awesome. I spent over 1,700 on the Fathers Day Promotions. I bought EVERY Single box they had but 4. First I went in , spent 400. Went out to the car and busted em with a friend. Went back in 5 more times and cleaned out. Went in for the last few times, and he told me I was not allowed to buy anymore because they are supposed to last "all weekend". Not sure what difference it makes if I buy them all or if someone else does? ESPECIALLY because I was not given a discount. This was the second time I had spent over a grand in there with little to no discounts. Refuse to go back.
Holy smokes - I would not go back either if I was treated like that. Unbelievable. My third or fourth time going in there I did mention that I would buy more from him but that I could get basically 3 boxes online to his 2 (and I was spending nowhere near what you did) and he then began both discounting for me as well as waiting to crack cases until I got there so I could have the "pick of the litter".
Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Holy smokes - I would not go back either if I was treated like that. Unbelievable. My third or fourth time going in there I did mention that I would buy more from him but that I could get basically 3 boxes online to his 2 (and I was spending nowhere near what you did) and he then began both discounting for me as well as waiting to crack cases until I got there so I could have the "pick of the litter".
Yep. Was not happy. I mean i chose that store over chuck and barbs and I regret it. Chuck & Barbs isn't a great store for busting or singles (overpriced on both) but It would have been a much more pleasant experience as they are truly nice people. Oh well. Live and learn and I guess ...
Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

There is a guy that I would buy from whenever we had "shows" here who had really good prices on wax (he would match online prices). Pretty sure his business card said Cardboard Dreams and I think he was up in Akron. A bit of a hike but worth it if you are looking to buy in bulk.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Never been to Triple play or Mark's. Yes C&B is high, but has good selection of wax every time I go in. As far as not negotiating that is simply not true. Chuck's a great guy to talk baseball with. As honest as they come too. I've only been to Neuhart's twice. Nice guy, lot's of singles, not much of a selection of wax when I went. As guess everyone is different.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

I don't think you can say it's not true for the same reason I shouldn't of said it is true (as far as negotiating). You negotiated with him, I did not. We are both right. However, his prices are often much higher that even if you negotiated you'd still overpay.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

I've been to Triple Play, Hartmans, and Chuck and Barbs. Never heard of Mark's. They are all over priced if you ask me. I go to Chuck and Barbs because it is the closest shop to where I live. I'll buy supplies and a few boxes a year at C&B's but will shop online over any shop in town. If they were all the same distance from me I would probably pick Triple Play as I think they have slightly better pricing.

For what it's worth I have also tried to negotiate prices with Chuck and have never been suscessful.
st0lenbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Don't want to argue, but with all due respect. I can say it's not true. You said they don't negotiate. Maybe they haven't with you for some reason or other. They have with me, and I've seen Chuck haggle with other customers. As far as prices you are spot on they are very high, but Chuck has a VIP program or whatever it's called. It's like $15 a year and you get 10% off all on every purchase.
Where's is Mark's ?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTribe!!! View Post
Don't want to argue, but with all due respect. I can say it's not true. You said they don't negotiate. Maybe they haven't with you for some reason or other. They have with me, and I've seen Chuck haggle with other customers. As far as prices you are spot on they are very high, but Chuck has a VIP program or whatever it's called. It's like $15 a year and you get 10% off all on every purchase.
Where's is Mark's ?
It's in Grovecity, right next to planks over on Broadway. Just google Marks Sports Cards Plus and it should come up.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thank's, I'm in Hilliard so not to far away. I might check it out tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTribe!!! View Post
Thank's, I'm in Hilliard so not to far away. I might check it out tomorrow.
Nice. I live in Plain City. Did you ever go to Crickets?