Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New ebay seller question

Im going to start selling off some of my non pc stuff on ebay. at what price do you guys add insurance when mailing cards? Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Only do insurance on expensive stuff ($200+)
-----> SCB's Draft 10 Caser:
MikeWilliamsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

$40 to 50, depending on how I feel.

Just remember insurance is for you, not the buyer--so it's whatever you are comfortable with being out if something goes wrong. The buyer is covered by Paypal.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for your responses. In general do you guys have better success selling on ebay or on blowout forums?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

ive had much more success here. selling on ebay takes forever in my opinion.
Giancarlo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah but eBay is more exposure. Blowout forums are good because you know what people collect and no eBay fees
-----> SCB's Draft 10 Caser:
MikeWilliamsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

with ebay is it just standard shipping or usps first class?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

i see people listing all these different shipping services. economy, expidited, standard, ettc. that is confusing. Does it even matter?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinkleHammer View Post
i see people listing all these different shipping services. economy, expidited, standard, ettc. that is confusing. Does it even matter?
I dont think people really know how to list the shipping. Usually all those things above mean USPS first class mail. You can ship however you want to though. Just make sure that you use delivery confirmation on every sale (if you print via paypal its very cheap for delivery confirmation). If you sell an item over $250 you also must add signature confirmation on top of delivery confirmation in order to be covered. Also in response to your question on insurance, you can insure whatever you want to. I personally insure anything over $75 that I sell but again its up to you what kind of risk you want to take. As mentioned above insurance covers the buyer, not the seller. You also cannot post in auctions that the buyer has the option to purchase insurance. You can build insurance into the price of the postage if you want and state that in your auction, but you cant offer it as an option to the buyer.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Im going to start selling off some of my non pc stuff on ebay. at what price do you guys add insurance when mailing cards? Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWilliamsFan View Post
Only do insurance on expensive stuff ($200+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
$40 to 50, depending on how I feel.

Just remember insurance is for you, not the buyer--so it's whatever you are comfortable with being out if something goes wrong. The buyer is covered by Paypal.
Quote:
thanks for your responses. In general do you guys have better success selling on ebay or on blowout forums?
Quote:
with ebay is it just standard shipping or usps first class?
to answer a few questions from here:
I only insure over $100 sales or if I feel like something shady might happen. You can insure for how ever much you want, but usps will only pay out what the item sold for, not what you put or what a book value might be. So no reason to spend the extra mula for insurance that doesn't mean squat anyway. And it is to cover you, not the buyer. Ebay offers USPS and Shipcover when you print labels through them. I don't know anything about shipcover though.

I actually prefer selling on COMC (checkoutmycards) over ebay and here. Selling/trading on here has gone a little down hill lately and there may be more lowballers here than anywhere else. I rarely sell on here anymore. Ebay has it's ups and downs and I use it for an in between selling location before sending stuff to comc.com.

I only use usps first class (or priority depending on weight/& size) which will cost you $1.64 for up to a 3oz package and that includes delivery confirmation, then it goes up in small increments until you hit 13oz which then it upgrades to priority. order some free boxes and flat rate bubble mailers from usps.com. You'd be amazed at what you can fit in those mailers, and sometimes regular priority will be cheaper than flat rate. I always compare pricing before paying. I roll my shipping into my asking prices, since you get better exposure on ebay w/free shipping and you get charged fees on the sales price and the shipping cost which sux, but people took advantage and sold items for low prices, but with high shipping to avoid paying fees.

I noticed that paypal shipping doesn't always offer the same shipping options as ebay or usps so that is also something to look for.

I prefer BIN/BO auctions and you get 50 free a month as well as free listings until 12/31 for any amount on sports cards.

no matter where you sell just make sure to do the right thing and don't let too many lowballers get to you and you will always run into a dingleberry who wants to take advantage of you lack of selling history or knowledge.

There are a couple of really good threads here about shipping so you should take a look at those first.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10

Last edited by Cactuspies; 12-30-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

so as a seller you will encounter answers like as to why someone retracted a bid/offer for a false reason "cannot contact seller":

"Because theres only 3 options to chose from. One of them is not " seller takes to long to respond". I sent the offer less than 5 minutes of the item being listed. Almost 24 hrs later no response. To me 48 hr pending offer is to much time and I have other offers and items I am buying. Offers are sent to the my ebay page and to sellers email. 24 hrs is more than enough time to decide on a offer. Just my opionon."

In case anyone wants more details, offer was made 5 min after I listed, and his offer was low anyway, then I did get in a second offer for $20 more that I was waiting on, got the retraction less than 24 hours after initial offer. offer made 12/28 11:50am Offer retracted 12/29 8:50am

dude is a big seller/buyer but I have no problem giving him the block and call out. I love how people on ebay think that they cannot follow ebays policies.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote