Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASEBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/)
-   -   Planing a trip to the Hall of Fame (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/422274-planing-trip-hall-fame.html)

stera8 12-30-2012 11:26 AM

Planing a trip to the Hall of Fame

I'm 25 and have never been to the Hall of Fame. My girlfriend and I are wanting to take a mini trip up there (only live in NJ).

We are in the beginning phase and perhaps you guys can help us out.

Best time of year to go? (besides induction time)
Good hotel prices?
shopping malls nearby?
how many days to go through the whole hall?
LCS nearby?
great food places?

and most importantly....

How much should I save up for this trip?

Killercard 12-30-2012 11:37 AM

All there is is lcs's by the hall of fame

centereacan06 12-30-2012 11:44 AM

There are a good number of shops in Cooperstown. I went up there for my little brothers baseball tournament last year. I don't remember exactly how many there were, but there seemed to be one on every block.

I didn't bring a bunch of money, so I just bought of couple of minor league base singles of a few Mets players.

To go through the whole Hall of Fame and really look at the details would take a few hours. I went through it in about an hour and a half, but I walked by most of the stuff after glancing at it.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Ncbrowe 12-30-2012 11:49 AM

I live in the area. The LCs in Cooperstown are pretty weak unless going during induction week. Food in Cooperstown is really good. Hotels are decent priced unless its induction week or hall of fame game. Any ?s feel free to ask

centereacan06 12-30-2012 12:03 PM

[url]http://www.bing.com/local/default.aspx?what=baseball+card+shops&where=Cooperstown%2c+New+York&s_cid=ansPhBkYp01&mkt=en-us&ac=false&q=baseball+card+shops+in+cooperstown+ny&qpvt=baseball+card+shops+in+cooperstown+ny&FORM=LARE[/url]

stera8 12-30-2012 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=Ncbrowe;3916344]I live in the area. The LCs in Cooperstown are pretty weak unless going during induction week. Food in Cooperstown is really good. Hotels are decent priced unless its induction week or hall of fame game. Any ?s feel free to ask[/QUOTE]

any decent hotel to go to? I don't want to arrive and have my girlfriend be grossed out. Is there any shopping for her?

I would love to go for inductions but this year the price will be too much. I am planning on going in a few years for Griffey.

tennelson55 12-30-2012 12:11 PM

I wouldn't take this trip for your gf. There are 0 shopping centers around the area and its probably going to be dull. Heck it was boring for the most part in my opinion :D
Anyways there is a gym that I went to and it was alright, but cooperstown is extremely small, but here is one good place to go and that's the museum!

centereacan06 12-30-2012 12:13 PM

^Yeah, I'd recommend you take a buddy, brother, father, uncle, or anyone else who just enjoys the sport as much as you do.

RedSoxFan28 12-30-2012 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=stera8;3916207]I'm 25 and have never been to the Hall of Fame. My girlfriend and I are wanting to take a mini trip up there (only live in NJ).

Good hotel prices?
shopping malls nearby?
how many days to go through the whole hall?
LCS nearby?
great food places?

and most importantly....

How much should I save up for this trip?[/QUOTE]

I have been to the Hall of Fame a couple of times in the past years
The Best time I think was in the fall, since they had all of the WS items and it was less busy. This year I went during induction week. It was really busy and crowded, but if you're all right with large crowds then induction week is great.
LCS, there are many of them along the street. The first time I went I ate at a place called "Doubleday Cafe" I thought the food was pretty good. It should take a day to go through the hall, it all depends on how long each day you're there and if you take your time or not.

xATLxShieldzzy 12-30-2012 02:45 PM

Really fun place to go been there 3 times my fav. Card shop is yaz's it good:)

BostonNut 12-30-2012 02:52 PM

These two questions tell me that you are expecting something different than what the HOF really is.

It's in the middle of farm land so no malls and it will take you no more than three hours or so on a not busy day to see it all. It's not nearly as big as you seem to think it is.

I'd plan a trip to the farm museum that is nearby as well. Very interesting. Have fun!

[QUOTE=stera8;3916207]I'm 25 and have never been to the Hall of Fame. My girlfriend and I are wanting to take a mini trip up there (only live in NJ).

Good hotel prices?
[B]shopping malls nearby?
how many days to go through the whole hall?[/B]
LCS nearby?
great food places?

and most importantly....

How much should I save up for this trip?[/QUOTE]

rolewiii 12-30-2012 02:53 PM

As a (somewhat) local, I may be able to offer some opinions...

The best LCS there was Pioneer Cards. It's very close to the Museum and one of the few that has good prices. That's the one that is mostly just cards. The one directly next door has excellent memorabilia.

For lunch, I recommend Mickey's Place. Great chili. Met Yogi Berra outside at the Kirby Puckett/Dave Winfield/Etc inductions.

Time of year: Induction season, if you really want to get the electric atmosphere of the town and baseball lovers in every direction. To save money, we camped at a KOA in the area.

Other times would be the dog days of summer and early fall. Good baseball atmosphere then, but without the induction-size crowds.

Or Spring, before the shops have been cleaned out.

There is a folk/county/art museum in the area...your girlfriend may be into that (m ine was an intern there). It's called the Fenimore Museum.

The closest mall is in Oneonta, which isn't worth the drive. At all. I lived there for four years as a geology major at the State College.

C&M Sports Memorabil 12-30-2012 04:13 PM

I've been to the Hall over 20 times and I make sure I include it any time I go back home- Saratoga Springs.

Take two days to get the real experience. Lots of stuff to see but more importantly lots of stuff to read. Take a moment and read the information by the memorabilia and get the inside story on the items.

I would suggest the spring time before school gets out and visit during the week so the crowds are low. If you go during the summer it gets hot, lots of people, bad parking, long lines and it can be a real strain on a relationship unless your girl is "really" into baseball!

It's a baseball city so there is little to do other than picnic type stuff. Not sure where you are staying but the big hotel is great (it's where the players stay) with a nice golf course. The lake is nice as well but I'm not sure if you're into the boating stuff.

My first two visits were during the late 1960's when the hall was just an old building with things displayed in glass cases in the middle of the floor. You went floor to floor up/down old staircases at the end of the hallways and it was just like an old office building. It's come a long way since then and as I said before it is a must stop every time I go back home!

matt6822 12-30-2012 05:46 PM

[QUOTE=tennelson55;3916461]I wouldn't take this trip for your gf. There are 0 shopping centers around the area and its probably going to be dull. Heck it was boring for the most part in my opinion :D
Anyways there is a gym that I went to and it was alright, but cooperstown is extremely small, but here is one good place to go and that's the museum![/QUOTE]

I went 2 years ago with my mom, dad, and my girlfriend. My girlfriend is not a big fan of baseball, hates me watching it. She loved the Hall of Fame though. We are going to go again when Greg Maddux gets inducted and she said she is looking forward to going again. We went in late September or early October. It was nice because not alot of people around and hotel was super cheap because of off season prices. All the lcs are really expensive, especially for individual cards.

mwash1983 12-30-2012 06:42 PM

I live 35 mins out, only one good card shop and that is Yaz sports.

jtrinaldi 12-30-2012 06:56 PM

HOF is great,. If you have never been there before it will take you 5 or 6 hours if you like to read everything and let the experience sink in. I went during the Summer last year, and tied it into a baseball road trip (Akron,Mahoning Valley,Lake County Captains, and after MV went up to Erie PA). There is one LCS that is close to 5 miles away, but isn't that special. Packs were over priced, but I just bought 1 out of respect for the Shop Owner. The Shop was dim, and not very welcoming . Had a great experience in the HOF (Admission was either $18 or $22) with my Dad and brother.

phillies347 12-30-2012 07:42 PM

I drove up with my dad 2 years ago, also from new jersey. We were able to do the hall in one day, maybe took us a good 5-6 hours.